Cheltenham Festival: Friday Races

I hope Corach Rambler hasn't left his National behind here, though.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. Off the bridle today from start, heavy going and 4 weeks to recover. If he’s tough enough he’s certainly good enough.

Last edited:
I hope Corach Rambler hasn't left his National behind here, though.

Indeed. Off the bridle today from start, heavy going and 4 weeks to recover. If he’s tough enough he’s certainly good enough.[/QUOTE]

Welcome.

My thoughts exactly - a tough enough race with 4 weeks to go.

Well my worst Festival in a while but I did manage Absurde at 16s and also Sine Nomine which I took 12s about a couple of weeks ago....really pleased for connections as they’re proper pointing people rather than professional trainers (my bug bear!). Great ride by the jockey to get her back up having been rather intimidated by the second.

Pains me somewhat to admit that I kept backing The Jukebox Man from the time I first posted on 4th March, and kept backing him again and again and again.

He was by some significant margin my most-backed horse at the Festival this year, and whilst the place portion of my bets easily covered the outlay, I still feel like a man who won second-prize in a beauty contest, and first-prize in a getting-booted-incredibly-hard-in-the-fu*cking-bollocks contest.

Pains me somewhat to admit that I kept backing The Jukebox Man from the time I first posted on 4th March, and kept backing him again and again and again.

He was by some significant margin my most-backed horse at the Festival this year, and whilst the place portion of my bets easily covered the outlay, I still feel like a man who won second-prize in a beauty contest, and first-prize in a getting-booted-incredibly-hard-in-the-fu*cking-bollocks contest.

This made me chuckle and empathise in equal measures

Honestly heard anything. Thought Billaway looked in great shape this morning when he gave Patrick Mullins a bloody nose when head butting him.
Premier Magic been in good from too. A few on my forum fancy Sine Nomine too.

Thanks Jinny.......your forum must be very happy. You gave me my first winner of this race in 34 years!!!

I had the winner but now I wish yours had won.he deserved to really.you would have probably won more than I did.

Thanks Jinny.......your forum must be very happy. You gave me my first winner of this race in 34 years!!!

I take it you didn’t take my advice back when Porlock Bay won then? I was all over that and pretty vocal about it too.

They are a pretty knowledgeable bunch when it comes to pointing and Hunter chases :) And have actually done a fair bit to revive them having now raised enough through donations to sponsor seven hunterchases this season with more planned for next. It’s been a great idea as those who donate get the chance to go racing and be looked after as sponsors all day. I went to the Taunton one and we had a great day out especially as it was won by Macklin who’s owned by Porlock Bays Owner. I even judged the best turned out!

Right I’m off Pointing again in a minute....Dorset/Wiltshire border at Milborne St Andrew. Lovely course and there will be plenty of runners (I’m doing the reporting). I would encourage anyone who hasn’t been to a point to point to go to one at some stage. It’s not expensive and it’s a fun day out.

On heavy ground maybe - I think Kauto would have far too many gears for GDC on better ground .

Even that would be a huge ask. GDC has never run on heavy ground whereas Kauto won on very soft in France. I am a GDC fan but I wouldn't dream of favorably comparing him to Kauto

I spent about 100 quid which covered me for the whole meeting. A couple yankees and an e/w super heinz for a sporting interest.

One of those super heinzes was 15p each way, costing £36, (this was actually my largest bet), and it looked promising when Franciscan Rock, (66's) Kyntara, (25s) and Sa Furuer (8's) all placed with still a few runners to go. I needed one more placer for a decent three figure return, or two more for a four figure return, which I would have been delighted with.

It was definitely achievable as well, but I wasn't clinical enough in the end. The execution for a healthy profit turned out to be simply not there. Yes I got my stake money back but it was an opportunity missed.

Protectorate for example. I was looking at weeks ago for the Ryanair. He would have done nicely for my bet, anything around 12's, 10s or 8s gets me a nice return on a relatively small investment.

Why I chose the handicapper GA Law instead, on reflection, and yes..with the benefit of hindsight, I just don't know.

Golden Ace winning the mares novice was another one that got away. I looked at doing her in my heinz several times, I really did, as I remembered her from earlier in the jumps season, where she was an eyecatcher.

Sometimes I really am guilty of overthinking things. Or just downright sloppy.

Djelo was another one where the each way side of the bet would have helped a lot for this super heinz. I mentioned him for the Turners a couple months before.

I did La Patron instead. Enough said. Poor choices overall. Even though the horse ran so bad, that I really wish Gary Moore had not bothered to run him in the first place.

Anyway, I bet what I could afford, and didn't lose too much in the grand scheme of things.

I'm 38, which is young enough for this sport we talk about, but I need to learn from poor choices. There's plenty time to start making the meeting pay though I hope.

Onwards and upwards.

Last edited:
Even that would be a huge ask. GDC has never run on heavy ground whereas Kauto won on very soft in France. I am a GDC fan but I wouldn't dream of favorably comparing him to Kauto
Kauto was probably half a stone better at Kempton than at Cheltenham. His first two Gold Cups (aged 7 and 8) yielded RPRs of 175 and 178 (185 in his third) whereas his best at Kempton was 191. GDC has achieved 183 for both wins. I'd say that the comparison is quite valid.

Last edited:
Kauto was clearly better at Kempton but GDC would need slow ground and a proper test to trouble on song Kauto.

How would GDC get on with Don Cossack, Imperial Commander or Long Run?

I tend to forget that Dan Skelton came to our racing club meeting and told us at the start of his career that Kauto was much better going right handed.

I spent about 100 quid which covered me for the whole meeting. A couple yankees and an e/w super heinz for a sporting interest.

One of those super heinzes was 15p each way, costing £36, (this was actually my largest bet), and it looked promising when Franciscan Rock, (66's) Kyntara, (25s) and Sa Furuer (8's) all placed with still a few runners to go. I needed one more placer for a decent three figure return, or two more for a four figure return, which I would have been delighted with.

It was definitely achievable as well, but I wasn't clinical enough in the end. The execution for a healthy profit turned out to be simply not there. Yes I got my stake money back but it was an opportunity missed.

Protectorate for example. I was looking at weeks ago for the Ryanair. He would have done nicely for my bet, anything around 12's, 10s or 8s gets me a nice return on a relatively small investment.

Why I chose the handicapper GA Law instead, on reflection, and yes..with the benefit of hindsight, I just don't know.

Golden Ace winning the mares novice was another one that got away. I looked at doing her in my heinz several times, I really did, as I remembered her from earlier in the jumps season, where she was an eyecatcher.

Sometimes I really am guilty of overthinking things. Or just downright sloppy.

Djelo was another one where the each way side of the bet would have helped a lot for this super heinz. I mentioned him for the Turners a couple months before.

I did La Patron instead. Enough said. Poor choices overall. Even though the horse ran so bad, that I really wish Gary Moore had not bothered to run him in the first place.

Anyway, I bet what I could afford, and didn't lose too much in the grand scheme of things.

I'm 38, which is young enough for this sport we talk about, but I need to learn from poor choices. There's plenty time to start making the meeting pay though I hope.

Onwards and upwards.

Still making poor choices at 58 Marb but having a ball trying not to !
Enjoy the journey ;I just hope they are still NH racing in 20 years time.

GDC is a monster on soft/ heavy ground.
I'm not sure he's as effective on a sounder surface.
However, my theory could easily be debunked.

Back