Cheltenham Gold Cup 2015

Didn't the application of blinkers work the oracle in The Fellows Case? John McCririck had been blagging on about him needing blinkers for ages if I remember right.

The Fellow was a "marked " horse for his second and third GC imo.
Horses crossed him, hassled him and he could not get a clear /smooth run.
The year he won his pre race form was not as impressive so the other jocks left him alone, and home he flew.
This is my memory and my feelings at the time, i may be well wide of the mark as I have not seen the races for a while.

Someone is going to get a nice spare on Holywell, just please don't let it be any of O'Neill's usual substitutes.

Mcclernon wouldn't be a bad sub Grass
Has been on board for both his course wins
On a separate note I think the Shutthefrontdoor dream may have died with today's win for CL.

Mcclernon wouldn't be a bad sub Grass
Has been on board for both his course wins
On a separate note I think the Shutthefrontdoor dream may have died with today's win for CL.

McLernon deserves a shot-Shutthefrontdoor isn't out of it yet-can't see JP not running him because of Carlingford.

I reckon JP will have no problem releasing AP for Holywell if he requests it. If he does, it will be a huge vote of confidence for Holywell.

McLernon deserves a shot-Shutthefrontdoor isn't out of it yet-can't see JP not running him because of Carlingford.

True but I would have liked to see a prep run into him which is looking a bit unlikely now

I reckon JP will have no problem releasing AP for Holywell if he requests it. If he does, it will be a huge vote of confidence for Holywell.

Absolutely no chance of it happening though, is there DO? Not after Carlingford Lough has just won the Irish Hennesy.

JP is a genuine sport. This is AP's last Gold Cup and if he tells JP Holywell is his best chance of winning it I honestly believe JP will not stand in his way.

Very much looking forward to seeing him at Kelso on Thursday touch wood. I'm coming round to him........but I don't want to tempt fate and add 6 pounds on his back by backing him yet.

Am i right in saying some on here have him at 50/1 at some point from last year?

Last edited:
The latest declarations

CGC_zps787f886d.jpg

It's got to be worrying to anyone who backed him that this will only be his 3rd run since April.

Fear not he's been trained in a very similar fashion to Witchita Line man and it certainly didn't stop him winning his targeted race.

I have no worries on that score but just lately, remembering last year, when Jonjo thought he might not be good enough to win the novice h'cap
I worry if the horse can improve enough to win a Gold Cup. It's one massive leap for a fairly inexperienced horse

If Nicholls has a poor first three days again I wonder what price might be available about SC on the day.

Big Bucks was available at odds-against on the morning of his second WH after all.

Last edited:
There isn't quite the same expectation on Nicholls though. All the expectation is on Mullins. Unless his horses are running particularly badly I don't see any real change.

Back