Cheltenham Gold Cup 2015

Djakadam is an unknown quantity either and Arkle or horse with no sparkle. Whether he was joking or not Davy Russell said Ruby after it took him about 15 minutes to pull Djakadam up he said This is a gold cup horse...........Quite handy for Ruby he should be as he doesn't have a decent mount if Djakadam doesn't run.

I wouldn't be abit worried about Murphy EC he's in and out and it wasn't what Djakadam beat it's the way he did it.......he won in a common canter and could have gone much faster if need be.

He could be anything but he's still only 6years old he has literally no experience or at least nit enough to be running in a Gold Cup but that said Ruby riding him may compensate for that.

I wouldn't back him my self.....you can't back them all unless I decide to let my cash run (Many Clouds) and then dutch in the race which is probably the best idea in what looks a wide open race.

..My Murphy ...who has since been stuffed by 12L receiving 8 from a 152 Roi De Mee

If a 152 horse can give weight and beating to it then what did Djakadam actually achieve by giving it a lesser beating?

I think a 160 is very fanciful tbh

A couple of important presumptions there though, EC1. It isn't my place to tell my granny how to suck eggs but maybe MM ran badly next time because he wasn't over the Thyestes run. And maybe RDM is a good bit better than a 152 rating.

Also, when the figures for Irish form don't make any sense to me I tend to write the form off as unreliable. Those circumstances, I find, occur more often in Irish racing then here.

Give Djakadam his due he missed the break at Gowran yet cruised into position after a half mile and race was over from there.
It was a very impressive performance, GC may come a year early but he fairly cruised around in JLT last year until he fell, a soft fall by standards.
Not like WPM to pitch in a 6 year old so he must be special.

Nico De Boinville is jocked-up on Coneygree in the Gold Cup. There is no-one jocked on the horse for the RSA which declares two days earlier (tomorrow).

Prices appear to be holding steady for both races, so possibly nothing in it, but interesting all the same. Maybe they think there'll be mid-week watering, and the ground will be softer for the Gold Cup?

theres rain forecast later in the week thurs/friday which might be swaying them towards the big one, personally I think thats were they should go, mainly because I balls deep in KP;)

I have the utmost respect for the form and ratings guru's on this forum. Any time Sunny, EC1, DO or others of that quality put up their form figures I genuinely pay very close attention. But I just cannot see this Thiestes form! It was on heavy ground in a fog... And let's be honest... None of us could see it!

I believe this race is being way over-hyped via the comments of Ruby and WPM. Take a form line directly through the 2nd My Murphy and Roi De Mee and I just can't see how it puts Djakadam on c160 already. More than happy to be corrected here, but the more and more I look at this I just can't see how the theistes form is being held in such high regard.

In general , both in England and Ireland when you win a big handicap , you have to be well ahead of the OR
especially in Ireland where the ORs are slightly lower

The Troytown, Paddy Power in December and Thyestes are very competitive handicaps , full of horses targeting the race and with trainers plotting horses for it

my figure for Djakadam for the race is 164P
is unusually high for such a lightly raced.

My Murphy running to a similar figure to his Troytown run,, on 151
The Job is Right in the same figure (142) to his PP run in december.

I thought it was a vintage edition before the race and thought Djakadam was facing a very difficult task,
this was big improvement on previous form but the horse is well regarded in the stable and has faced very difficult runs in such a short career

I dont know if he will handle Cheltneham and a hard race being so inexperienced but is a weak edition and has a chance

This race may be lacking absolute top quality but it is ridiculously deep. Just looking at the betting there's only Don Cossack likely to come out and yet we have last years 2nd and 3rd way down the list. You could make a case for every one of them apart from the two rags at the bottom. Very similar to the War Of Attrition year.

Last edited:
Nico De Boinville is jocked-up on Coneygree in the Gold Cup. There is no-one jocked on the horse for the RSA which declares two days earlier (tomorrow).

Prices appear to be holding steady for both races, so possibly nothing in it, but interesting all the same. Maybe they think there'll be mid-week watering, and the ground will be softer for the Gold Cup?

Stiffer track, further trip and possible softer ground all in his favour.
Trouble is - given the likely pace - he'd need a Denman-like performance to lead all the way in this.

Hi Euro. What way do you view Kings Palace performance at last years festival ?
Obviously you seem willing to forgive... What's the main reason for that? Genuine question :)

He had no prep in the new year for the Albert Bartlett and was overfresh and buzzy. It's a big thing for me, novices prepping properly for the Festival. Jezki didn't have one before his Supreme and whilst he ran well enough he turned the form around with MTOY a year later.

It's ultimately a price thing, because of that poor run he was 20s for the RSA in the Autumn.

Last edited:
From what I can see Boston Bob isn't in the Ryanair decs. Another one to throw into the murky pool that is the Gold Cup.

Cheers Euro.. I must admit the closer it gets I'm tempted by KP over Don Poli. On the nice ground KP might just travel too well for the Don and out pace him at vital stage.

Good news on Boston Bob! I still think he has a chance - especially now that Spring has officially arrived!

In the RSA you need one that's going to pop away conserving as much energy as possible. KP is way too exuberant at his fences. For me he's the perfect horse to lay in running if I were minded to do so because I'm sure coming down the hill he'll look like the winner. History however is going to repeat itself.

Back