Cheltenham Gold Cup 2015

Every time they add a new race at Cheltenham it takes something away from the meeting.

NJH wanted a 2m4f hurdle championship race and never got it so a Mares chase has no chance IMO

Last edited:
Going by the papers at the weekend, there is going to be a 28th race next season, whether we want it or not. It is just a matter of whether it is a mares novice hurdle or a mares chase.

I could see a mare's novice chase being the new race. It wouldn't take much away from the existing races as Adrianna des Mottes was the only mare in the Arkle, JLT or RSA this year.

Good point.

I'm against more races being added but accept it's going to happen.

Last edited:
Don't ask me who, or on what thread, but someone posted that next year's Festival starts two days earlier than this. Not so, please note next year's Festival is March 15th-18th.

Coneygree has been given an official mark of 172 by the BHA after his Gold Cup success last week, the highest mark for a novice this century.

Don't ask me who, or on what thread, but someone posted that next year's Festival starts two days earlier than this. Not so, please note next year's Festival is March 15th-18th.
Think that was me because, at the time, Oddschecker were showing the Gold Cup as March 11th. That's now been corrected so thanks for the heads up.

If they do add another genuine race on the Thursday it only needs them to find another two races to justify the dreaded 5 day festival.

Front page of the Racing Post this morning talking about a 5 day festival!

"Five Day meeting anybody? - Compelling argument on how the festival could be even greater"

I am relatively relaxed about a 5th day. It's another days racing but would mean pacing myself a little better through the week....

If it does go that way, my preference would be to reduce each day to 6 races, with more time between each. Race wise, perhaps a mares novice chase, 2 1/2 m Grade 1 hurdle and a Veterans. Or what about a £100k seller:lol:

As i've said in the past they will turn it into the Galway Festival. All about selling beer and very little to do with horse racing. The Festival is supposed to be the Elite. Only a matter of time till they put a sand track in the middle and have a couple of shitty camel races to fill the card.

Back