Cheltenham Handicaps

Kazilian might run well in the County, ran well last year in the Fred Winter (4th), has had the same break pattern he had in his prep for Cheltenham last year (about two months), and can be forgiven for two poor runs. Only a 5yo and looks ten pound well in to me on best form.

Last edited:
Just read about Longsdon talking up Pendra for the Coral Cup. Plenty to like about the horse but stable form can only be described as woeful, has stamina to prove and partnership with Fehily likely to be broken up.

Kazilian might run well in the County, ran well last year in the Fred Winter (4th), has had the same break pattern he had in his prep for Cheltenham last year (about two months), and can be forgiven for two poor runs. Only a 5yo and looks ten pound well in to me on best form.

You are on the ball there Martin.
I met some of syndicate after FW last year (gas men!) and they were seriously p****d off with T Scus ride. A fine horse if right.

Just read about Longsdon talking up Pendra for the Coral Cup. Plenty to like about the horse but stable form can only be described as woeful, has stamina to prove and partnership with Fehily likely to be broken up.

But being a JP horse now, may have McCoy on

You are on the ball there Martin.
I met some of syndicate after FW last year (gas men!) and they were seriously p****d off with T Scus ride. A fine horse if right.
Cheers for that, edgt. He won his novice hurdles very easily and a mark of 130 seems to me like it was a low one to begin with. 4th in Fred Winter and two runs later down to 132, he's well handicapped imo and its nice to know connections hold him in high regard.

Last edited:

Crying out for 2m5f imo. Stable fortunes should now change with the change in the weather.....a large majority of the horses in the yard require good ground. Sorry to see the previous owner/breeder was seduced by JP's pieces of silver.

Why are you sorry, Michael? I'm no apologist for JP McManus but at least he will leave the horse where he is and if things work out he might sends others to join it.

The best thing the Hartys ever did was sell Captain Cee Bee to him. They got good money for him, they still train him and he has been joined by a string of other JP horses.

Why are you sorry, Michael? I'm no apologist for JP McManus but at least he will leave the horse where he is and if things work out he might sends others to join it.

The best thing the Hartys ever did was sell Captain Cee Bee to him. They got good money for him, they still train him and he has been joined by a string of other JP horses.

Fair point Grey. But if I'd been fortunate enough to breed such a good horse, I'd want to see it race in my colours and experience the thrill of a lifetime if it happened to win races at the major festivals. Money can't buy that.

But hey, maybe I'm just too romantic for my own good.

Edmund Kean despite being no bigger than 14/1 looks as if he needs to win a race to even stand an outside chance of getting in to the Martin Pipe. Must be very unlikely, shame as he looks very progressive.

Fair point Grey. But if I'd been fortunate enough to breed such a good horse, I'd want to see it race in my colours and experience the thrill of a lifetime if it happened to win races at the major festivals. Money can't buy that.

But hey, maybe I'm just too romantic for my own good.

Don't know if you saw the write up of the festival preview night in Glasgow but line of the night was a screamer and went to Charlie Swan;

after finding out his Gold Cup selection Sir Des Champs is also Barry Geraghty's choice as the most overhyped horse at the festival;

"What does Barry know ? He sold Bobs Worth for 20 grand" :lol:

Lee

Good news for Ifandbutwhynot, rated 135. I'd like Murphy to ride him but he may be needed for Swing Bowler.
875 pound traded on Swing Bowler for the Mares Hurdle on Betfair, contrasted to 822 for the County. That must be an indication Swing Bowler may head for the former race, Gus. You may get your wish yet.

Last edited:
I know A New Story has won this race before and has run other good races but should they entertain running a 15yo in the Cross Country here ?

Given he was only touched off last year and has shown some form over hurdles on horrible ground why not ?
Mac Vidi was placed in a Gold Cup at 15.
With losing Dorans Pride here they are unlikely to take too many chances with ANS.

Fred Winter - I have Counsel 9lbs ahead of the h'capper and Samategel 8lbs ahead. I think the h'capper has the Irish form about right and hasn't taken any chances except for the Mullins yoke who has only raced 3 times in France whose name I've forgotten - I haven't got a clue about him. Ruby's pick here should be interesting. Loved the way Counsel came back at them after hitting a flat spot in his penultimate race but if he's thereabouts between the last two I can see him flying up the hill.

i will put 2 up that look to have been (lets say) have not shown their true form at all.
first is HEY BIG SPENDER started the season very overweight and was pulled up first start, then the subsequent runs joe tizzard has rode him awfully, keeping him at the back, jumping into the back of other horses, im sure they were just dropping his mark and he looks a plot horse fot cheltenham

Second is KID CASSIDY only entry is the grand annual. Drifted worryingly on first start of season, where jeremiah mcgrath kept him at the back, and was jumping dodgily, then all of a sudden he makes up 15 lengths on the leaders at the last. Then Mccoy was on board and gave him a suspiciously tame ride, he was not forceful whatsoever. Im sure J.P was up to no good. He likes a few winners at chekltenham and this looks a plot horse also.

Handicappers not given Kid Cassidy much leeway. Only 2lb lower than last year and needs to have improved. They might have been teaching him to settle because he looked useful early in his career, if a little mental.

Kid Cassidy is a lunatic according to Charlie Morlock (asst trainer) at West Berks Preview night at Newbury . Still can't get him settled.

Back