Cheltenham Handicaps

I'll wait to see how my main bets of the meeting get on today and tomorrow before deciding a stake, but I'm red hot on Brian Ellisons Viva Colonia in the lucky last tomorrow.

Formerly with the shrewd David O Meara, he lost his way a bit but has suddely refound his form and bettered it still over fences since joining Brian Ellison. He could be open to any amount of improvement and worth a serious bet in my eyes in what is admittedly a tough race to find the winner of.

My Excellency was my early fancy and no surprise he ran well in the Arkle at odds of friggin 80/1!!! But he'll probably find one too good on the day anyway, and I can't have alderwood at that price although he'll probably run well.

So I think Viva Colonia is the one in the Grand Annual. Most compelling handicap fancy of the week for me.

Last edited:
Quote from the BBC Text Feed by Luke Harvey:

"It is easy to say, but jockey Richie McLernon is a really popular member of the weighing room. He is not an exuberant man, he is a team player who would rather finish fourth than give a horse a hard race and finish third."

Never a truer word spoken

The ground should be okay for Divers now in the Plate.

The fountain of knowledge that is EDGT mentioned him in the preview, 9 pouinds lower than when third in the Paddy Power, wouldn't back a Pipe Favourite with stolen the way his are running.!!

Carrickhillboy was strongly fancied by me and Grasshopper last year.150/1 on bet fair last night-didn't have a penny on.
Debating should I walk dog or go to pub.

Carrickhillboy was strongly fancied by me and Grasshopper last year.150/1 on bet fair last night-didn't have a penny on.
Debating should I walk dog or go to pub.

Have you a cat you can kick? Do the neighbours have a cat?

These races all look impossible unless you've spotted something before the Festival. Most of the punters I follow on Twitter seem to back in every race as well. Mental.

Back