Cheltenham Longshots

I will never forget him saying that the bookmakers had got Dromlease Express price all wrong in the Pierce Hurdle in 2003. In between the quote he was busy organising wheelbarrows of cash with around the south west of Ireland with the simple instruction - Take any 6-1 or bigger.

Last edited:
Old friends are best my old friend:lol::lol:

We all have done it though, haven't we? Only this morning I was wondering what price Dromlease Express will be first time out next season or where was the gymnast who I shared a bottle of Baileys.

We all have done it though, haven't we? Only this morning I was wondering what price Dromlease Express will be first time out next season or where was the gymnast who I shared a bottle of Baileys.

Agree with the above - my Monsignor milkbottle is looking very full now, come on Pitman make it happen :)

I have already mentioned Clerks Choice for the CH but having read what Nicky Henderson has said today would also like to put Mad Max up in the CC at 40/1. They have done his breathing again and they are going to earplug him. He was running a blinder in the Arkle last year before cracking that fence and would have shaken SE up but for that. If since Aintree he has had his problems and they have been cured not to mention those ear plugs helping he could run a massive race.

Beat me to it - just reading through the thread with the intention of putting up Mad Max. He's been tubed and will wear earplugs and could be a lively outsider at 40/1. As already mentioned, I also cannot see why Khyber Kim is 25/1 for the Champion, especially as Twiston was out of form around the time he ran. In the Arkle I think (and hope!!) Dan Breen may be worth a sneaky each way bet at 33/1. He runs in a 3 runner nervous chase at Sandown tomorrow and I think he can win it.

Not quite such a big price, I'm very keen on Ericht in the bumper (can get 12/1), he's a tool and the acceleration he showed at Newbury was highly impressive. Also at Newbury I was taken with Aiteenthirtythree, more so than in the past, and think he may serve it up to Time For Rupert. And I try to avoid talked-up Nicholls yokes!

I have already mentioned Clerks Choice for the CH but having read what Nicky Henderson has said today would also like to put Mad Max up in the CC at 40/1. They have done his breathing again and they are going to earplug him. He was running a blinder in the Arkle last year before cracking that fence and would have shaken SE up but for that. If since Aintree he has had his problems and they have been cured not to mention those ear plugs helping he could run a massive race.

Good post, and think he's a great each way price. A really lovely horse.

Beat me to it - just reading through the thread with the intention of putting up Mad Max. He's been tubed and will wear earplugs and could be a lively outsider at 40/1. As already mentioned, I also cannot see why Khyber Kim is 25/1 for the Champion, especially as Twiston was out of form around the time he ran. In the Arkle I think (and hope!!) Dan Breen may be worth a sneaky each way bet at 33/1. He runs in a 3 runner nervous chase at Sandown tomorrow and I think he can win it.

Not quite such a big price, I'm very keen on Ericht in the bumper (can get 12/1), he's a tool and the acceleration he showed at Newbury was highly impressive. Also at Newbury I was taken with Aiteenthirtythree, more so than in the past, and think he may serve it up to Time For Rupert. And I try to avoid talked-up Nicholls yokes!

Agree with you on most of those. I will probably back Aiteenthirtythree today as his price is dropping daily.

Not too sure about Dan Breen though, seems a mid 130s horse to me.

Ericht has a great chance in the bumper.

Rackham Lerouge is a fair price at 25's in the novice handicap chase over about 2m4f (is it the 'Centenary'?). Should hopefully get in the race anyway off 132 though is netered in the Pendil tomorrow, so wouldn't be wanting too good or bad a show there.

Not unlike Homer Simpson, my thumbs are clearly too fat for the i-phone, Col. :)

Rackham not dec'd for the Pendil, by the way.

Last edited:
In a Festival Preview night, when Nicholls was asked about the Jewson Chase. You can still get on at 20/1.

PN: I’m having a tough job getting Royal Charm right. Robinson Collonges is the interesting one. He’s been deliberately kept fresh and he’d have a good chance on good ground.

Champion Court let a few of us down with an almighty wallop the last day at Cheltenham but Keighley reckons he was very sick at the time (horse that is) and is back as right as rain - he created a huge impression on me winning a grade 2 first time up this year and may not desert him
just yet in what looks a fiendishly difficult Albert Bartlett. Could the AB be one of those races at the festival that will turn up big price winners more often than not?

Arcalis in the Coral Cup, once all the "plots" and "dark horses" have cried enough, hoping this lad will storm up the hill over his correct trip into the first 4.
Always runs best at the festival, good form at Newbury this year proves he's not past it. There will be much worse 40 to 1 shots during the week.

Champion Court let a few of us down with an almighty wallop the last day at Cheltenham but Keighley reckons he was very sick at the time (horse that is) and is back as right as rain - he created a huge impression on me winning a grade 2 first time up this year and may not desert him
just yet in what looks a fiendishly difficult Albert Bartlett. Could the AB be one of those races at the festival that will turn up big price winners more often than not?

Entirely agree loved the horses debut and clearly something wrong last time thought I read as well he did something to his foot hence why he hung so badly.

I like Champion Court but i've gone for Moonlight drive at a bigger price.

Quinn thinks a lot of this horse and I liked his debut. Made a few mistakes over the last two hurdles but he knuckled down well and was going away from a decent yardstick in second. That was over 22f and he's already a point winner over 3 miles; knowing he stays is a big plus for me in the Albert Bartlett. He's also got a bit of toe according to John Quinn so I fancy him to run a big race at a decent price.

With a lot of value being sucked out of the markets I've reminded myself to back Master Of The Hall for the RSA Chase NRNB at 16/1 today.

I go through the markets a few times a day and there is horses being cut left right and centre. Hold all bets until the day.

agree with u Gearoid. Espeically on the day, all the bookies will be pushing things out looking for business. Unless the thing you fancy is 20s above and will come into the betting or gets tip up by someone like Hugh Taylor or pricewise, there isnt much point.

Also, when did the triumph become quarter 1st 3 instead of quarter 1st 4.

Back