Cheltenham Longshots

I don't think MOTH will be bigger on the day. I'm expecting single figures and with NRNB it's a no-brainer.

Like to have most of my business conducted ante post for this meeting and watch the races on the day without any pressure to bet. You can loose the run of yourself chasing money in the heat of battle.

Hugh Taylor made bits of Sunnyhillboy yesterday! I got talking to a Henry Rix subscriber during the year and he was telling me about Piegon Island (40/1 - 16/1) last year. I remembered the gamble but I thought the source was the Sportinglife tipping him. Amazing how tipsters can cause such a price movement in ultra liquid markets like the festival.

Henry Rix subscribers will be marked up with the bookies hence the horse in question will be cut, the bigger the price of the horse the bigger the cut will be. If its an 8-1 shot, it might become 5-1 whereas a 20-1 shot, it will probably go down to 10s etc. Bookies hate to lay big price tipping line horses, they know the horse in question will be backed by the subscriber whatever the price 9 times out of 10.

Hugh Taylor made bits of Sunnyhillboy yesterday! I got talking to a Henry Rix subscriber during the year and he was telling me about Piegon Island (40/1 - 16/1) last year. I remembered the gamble but I thought the source was the Sportinglife tipping him. Amazing how tipsters can cause such a price movement in ultra liquid markets like the festival.

It woz me and Hamm that started the gamble.

Pigeon Island saved me last year... I'll never forget him for that!!!! He'll need rain to win again though...

agree with u Gearoid. Espeically on the day, all the bookies will be pushing things out looking for business. Unless the thing you fancy is 20s above and will come into the betting or gets tip up by someone like Hugh Taylor or pricewise, there isnt much point.

Also, when did the triumph become quarter 1st 3 instead of quarter 1st 4.

I'm surprised you're getting 1/4 first 3 to be honest... It's a conditions race so there are no four places unless its a concession.

Does Pigeon Island go for the King Muir or the Grand Annual?

Twister seemed to be favouring the latter in an interview for the Irish Field, but I have heard a whisper for Pigeon in the Kim Muir under the 16yo son of the trainer.

I thought i'd read somewhere it was ground dependant Bully. His best chance imo is a stiff 2m in a big field on soft ground. If it's quick though I suspect they'll dodge the Grand Annual and go for the Kim Muir (Kim was a king?)...

Am beginning to sweeten on A New Story to repeat last years Cross Country success. Ran a very nice prep over hurdles at Naas the last day. Got to be in the mix at around 12's. Yes I know this race isn't for everybody:lol:

Banjaxed Girl 25/1 in a place but 75.0 on betfair

Sparky May is second fav and clearly on the upgrade but when you look at the lines of form through Carole's Legacy and the weights carried there really is very little between the three.

The race obviously looks Quevega's to lose but she does have an interesting entry in the World Hurdle although I would expect her to run in this race. If anything were to happen to Quevega or she had an off day then this race is wide open. I don't see many other options for Banjaxed Girl either.

She's trained locally by N.T.D who can ready one for the festival, she's as tough as old boots, handles any going and still improving imo. I think the distance is ideal, she's won a class 1 hurdle at the course and in 12 career starts - 7wins & 4 seconds - impressive - 75.0 is an insult unless someone knows something, if she turns up on the day I think she could go off almost single figure odds.

Banjaxed girls subjected to lavatorial humour at Fowlers' parties:

By Marcus Armytage 9:22PM GMT 10 Jan 2011
It is all down to the humour of her breeder, the Irish Grand National winning trainer John Fowler who was tragically killed in a tree felling accident in December 2008.
Rahinston (pronounced Rainstown) his big, old Victorian family pile in County Meath has long been as famous for the warmth of its hospitality as the lack of warmth of its room temperature. Indeed the term ‘central heating’ comprises an Aga and two electric blankets so only if you are quick between kitchen and bedroom do you have half a chance.
Several things do not work as well as the might have done when it was first built in 1875. This was due, over several generations, to the world famous Fowler entertainments committee borrowing heavily from the annual maintenance budget.

One thing out of action since time immemorial was the first floor loo door and, true to form, instead of having it repaired Fowler wrote the following warning on it: ‘This door is banjaxed - close it at your peril.’
Over the years his Newmarket-based son, Harry, an auctioneer with Tattersalls, has had plenty of parties to which many an English maiden was invited. Whether the message has been lost in translation or the liquid hospitality had been overwhelming, history doesn’t relate but during their stay the vast majority of girls managed, at some stage, to fall foul of the faulty door handle necessitating the need to be rescued by John Fowler. Hence Banjaxed Girl refers to all the females who have spent longer than anticipated admiring the peeling wallpaper in the Rahinston loo.

”Most of them never came back,” says his son. “The only one that did, I married!”

Banjaxed girl now 16.5 on betfair :whistle:

If you think that the Champion Hurdle is a poor renewal this year, as I do, then one would look for an improver. I can't see a better improver than Clerk's Choice. Started the season rated I31, BHA wins at Cheltenham then is rated I65 and following 2 defeats is rated 159. Those defefeats were on good to soft, this is a horse that win son G/F. Depending on the going tomorrow, he could be another Make a Stand. It is noticeable that he faded in the final furlong LTO at Cheltenham in a 17f race. Good ground 16f and the horse has a place chance at least. At current prices worth a punt with a tenner or two.

Bar, I also backed Kyber Kim but some of the price I grabbed for CC -small amounts- were plain nuts and I could make a fair profit selling now. Through a number of £2 and £3 bets when I've picked up a few quid I average well over 100/1. I would expect to be able to lay in running at single figures or thereabouts unless I decide to just let it run. Around 12/1 for the place now

Last edited:
If you think that the Champion Hurdle is a poor renewal this year, as I do, then one would look for an improver. I can't see a better improver than Clerk's Choice. Started the season rated I31, BHA wins at Cheltenham then is rated I65 and following 2 defeats is rated 159. Those defefeats were on good to soft, this is a horse that win son G/F. Depending on the going tomorrow, he could be another Make a Stand. It is noticeable that he faded in the final furlong LTO at Cheltenham in a 17f race. Good ground 16f and the horse has a place chance at least. At current prices worth a punt with a tenner or two.

I agree the faster the ground the better his chances - he put up a cracking time at the start of the season at the course. It will be interesting to see the time of the Supreme as I shouldn't think they'll be hanging about.

Horses with the same first and second initial have a great record at the Festival in recent years.

Kicking King
Cue Card
Mr McGoldrick
Master Minded
Big Buck's
Dun Doire
Tricky Trickster
Massini's Maguire
Looks Liketrouble
Lata Lomne
Balla Briggs
Captain Ceebee