Constitution Hill

Surely the disparity is a result of the Irish prize money being better than ours - and the concomitant benefits that gives rise to?

With the lower prize money you expect to see horses running more often to maintain prize income and you’d expect to see bigger fields (especially in good races where the place money is attractive). Instead, we’ve got the reverse of that :confused:

Very interesting interview with Rich Richie re will he run Lossiemouth in the Champion Hurdle.

In short he said his aim was to win races not to finish runner up and for her the Champion Hurdle is out of the question.

That is despite the fact the finished 2nd in the CH pays 20k more than winning the Mares.

If Ricci cared about prize-money returns, he’d never have gotten involved in the game in the first place. He is motivated by walking-in winners at the big meetings, and little else.

With the lower prize money you expect to see horses running more often to maintain prize income and you’d expect to see bigger fields (especially in good races where the place money is attractive). Instead, we’ve got the reverse of that :confused:
There's no shortage of runner in our valuable handicaps, though.
Imo, the basic problem is that UK racing is losing some of the better horses to Irish trainers, as owners have more chance of breaking even over there.
Wouldn't surprise that there's a direct correlation between the funding of Irish racing through betting tax, and the fall-off in UK fortunes since.

Very interesting interview with Rich Richie re will he run Lossiemouth in the Champion Hurdle.

In short he said his aim was to win races not to finish runner up and for her the Champion Hurdle is out of the question.

That is despite the fact the finished 2nd in the CH pays 20k more than winning the Mares.

I definitely wouldn’t be running her in the CH this year however much talent she has. She’s only five still and it’s a tough ask taking on the Second Coming when she hasn’t fully strengthened up. Next year, hope she can throw it down to him.....unless Hendo goes into complete cotton wool mode and only decides to parade him at the Lambourn Open Day instead!

Wouldn't surprise that there's a direct correlation between the funding of Irish racing through betting tax, and the fall-off in UK fortunes since.

Possibly, but there's no way any UK government could be trusted to redirect betting tax returns in full to the industry.

I definitely wouldn’t be running her in the CH this year however much talent she has. She’s only five still and it’s a tough ask taking on the Second Coming when she hasn’t fully strengthened up. Next year, hope she can throw it down to him.....unless Hendo goes into complete cotton wool mode and only decides to parade him at the Lambourn Open Day instead!

Lossiemouth will go Mares forever, for reference lookup Quevega!

Lossiemouth will go Mares forever, for reference lookup Quevega!

Ruby said on ITV mares this year then CH next year when Constitution Hill is a year older

Just remember Lossiemouth is only 5, Annie Power didn't run in the CH till she was 8 albeit only because Faugheen got injured

Maybe they don't think she'd beat State Man either

Last edited:
Ruby said on ITV mares this year then CH next year when Constitution Hill is a year older

Just remember Lossiemouth is only 5, Annie Power didn't run in the CH till she was 8 albeit only because Faugheen got injured

Maybe they don't think she'd beat State Man either

Annie could have ran in it in 2014 but didn't. Can't think why!

Last edited:
People are quick to criticise trainers not running their's every other day but look what's coming up on Saturday and Sunday some of the best racing you are every likely to see despite some very small fileds.

Who doesn't prefer seeing Gallopin Des Champs Stateman and Marine Nationale strut their stuff compared to the trash we were given to watch today is not a racing lover IMO

I personally can't get a buzz out of big fields with horses like Lalor trying to make a comeback in a crap Hunter Chase and getting beat by some horse I have never heard off before winning the race at double figures.

It takes me all my time to watch racing like todays never mind have a bet in it.

Been looking back at the Schweppes Gold Trophy and how much the race has changed.

Persian War hold the weight carrying record but he wasn't carrying top weight. Sempervivum carried 12st 2lb Hill House 21st1lb Black Justice 12st0lb.

He went of 2nd fav behind Coral Diver fav for the up and coming Champion Hurdle and won giving Major Rose 11st 8lb 6 lbs by 1/2 length with Sempervivum who split Salmon Spray and Flyingbolt in the Champion Hurdle 2 years earlier 2 lengths back in 3rd.

With others like Kirriesmuir and Even Keel runners the period read like a who's who.

This year if Constutution Hill carried 11st13lb he would have to give 33 lbs to the next in line 9st8lbs who would have struggled to get a run in 1968.
If we throw in Stateman he would be giving the next in line 23lbs.

It begs the question is he as good as we think he is? I am as guilty as anyone for hyping him up but the evidence is enough to be asking the question

Take Constitution Hill out of the equation and we are currently left with the worst bunch of 2 mile hurdlers in years (Novices aside)

Try and find 5 decent 2 mile hurdlers and you will struggle big time.

Try and find 5 decent 2 mile hurdlers and you will struggle big time.

As of the other day, Timeform's top hurdlers:

177pCONSTITUTION HILL
167STATE MAN
163TEAHUPOO
162IMPAIRE ET PASSE
161SIRE DU BERLAIS
160IRISH POINT
160VAUBAN
159BOB OLINGER
159FLOORING PORTER
158SHARJAH
158§COMMANDER OF FLEET

<tbody>
</tbody>

You're right, definitely nothing much about with most of the above being stayers, which probably allows scope for last season's better novices to come through into contention for second- or third-best but just about all bar Impaire Et Passe have gone chasing.

The latter has still to make his 10lbs' improvement into his second season and I just wonder if they have the County in mind for him off 160 (maybe less after the other day). The top weight in the Betfair Hurdle (£87k to the winner) is rated 142 so Impaire Et Passe could get in off 158 - maybe - and anything rated 132 (assuming 12-0 is top weight) or less, ie half the Betfair field in terms of numbers, would be out of the weights but I reckon there will be a dozen Irish in it so those lower-rated horses wouldn't get a run anyway.

I don't think we're guilty of over-hyping CH. All the figures point to an unusually high class animal. We don't doubt the figures when GDC posts 180+ over fences. Why should we question them when they point to greatness?

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s media hype with Constitution Hill. I’ve never heard trainers so strong in throwing up their hands as to their chances. Even Mullins the other day after State Man run.

Back