Constitution Hill

Talking about high class

If it was not for Consitution Hill what rating would State Man have.

He is 8 for 9 including 6 Grade 1 hurdles which would be 9 for 9 includinga Champion Hurdle.

His 167 is a joke which affects how highly Constitution Hill is rated. I would have him on 172 and Constitution Hill on 183 and already the GOAT.

Talking about high class

If it was not for Consitution Hill what rating would State Man have.

He is 8 for 9 including 6 Grade 1 hurdles which would be 9 for 9 includinga Champion Hurdle.

His 167 is a joke which affects how highly Constitution Hill is rated. I would have him on 172 and Constitution Hill on 183 and already the GOAT.

I'll try and check back through my figures at some point soon but I reckon I have CH higher than 180 too.

If you take Constitution Hill out of the equation Stae Man off 168 would have won the Champion Hurdle

The last geding to win the Champion Hurdle was Buveur d'Air off 157 who beat the 154 rated MTOY by 4 lengths

The h'capper put him up 10 lbs to 167

Without Constution Hill State Man would have won the Champion Hrdle off 167 with Vauban 160 6 1/2 lengths back in 3rd.

The handicapper drops Stae Man 1lb but he could have easily said that was as good as Buveur d'Air and put him up 10 lbs

Then Constitution Hill would be where he should be on 183. That's my take and I am sticking to it:lol:

The way Henderson is campaigning this horse will have people hoping it's beat which is an awful shame. Racehorses are for racing ffs.

What's the point of having the best horse in the country standing in its stable.
But then again if it ran it would only have a couple of opponents.

What's the point of having the best horse in the country standing in its stable.
But then again if it ran it would only have a couple of opponents.

There you have the dilemma, run him Trials Day he wins in a common canter @1/10, not much of a spectacle.

I'm going to be going so at least there is a fair chance that the race will be decent from a punting perspective.

Last edited:
Nicky would never do it but imagine the thought of him running in the Betfair hurdle, conceding lumps of weight all round like Denman did in the Hennessy.

A someone said, they're for racing and so what if he beats up 4 or 5 runners for the next 2 years and becomes a triple Champion Hurdle winner yet we only get to see him hack canter round one other time each season (a better version of See You Then). He'd be remembered much more fondly even if he got beat at Newbury but put up a gallant effort.

More chance of me attempting dry January than that happening though.

Last edited:
I'd be 100% for him running the Betfair Hurdle. Off 175 he'd have a lot bandits out of the handicap thereby going a long way to foiling the plots.

I wouldn't goas far as to say he would win without having a hard race because even if he's a 185 horse he might end up trying to beat a 160+ horse that's got in off 149/10-2.

But it could be a proper spectacle and a narrow defeat would not necessarily do his reputation that much harm. Old Foghorn Leghorn would have won off 166 if Johnson hadn't been over-confident and given him too much to do, leaving his Champion Hurdle chance behind to boot. I don't really see Nico making that kind of mistake.

That race, Cheltenham, is over 10 days away...why would you scope now? Was he so bad on the gallops? If yes why scope? I know scoping is routine, don't necessarily agree with it ( I was awake all night with runny nose, daytime nothing ) but , hate to use the word, but this is getting really predictable and boring now, and if so bad on the gallops then clearly has another issue. The horse may change with the seasons but, and again is it me, or is is just Henderson horses who have these issues?

I think it’s more to do with Nico potentially not being 100% ready. I know he’s riding out two weeks after he broke his collar bone but that’s too soon imo. It takes about a week for the one to start knitting together again and although I did ride three weeks after doing mine, I really shouldn’t have and my collar bone is a hideous mess as a result.

What intrigues me is why (an ageing) Mr. Buckley who paid 180K for the beast and probably 30K PA doesn't seem to have a voice at the table. Maybe I'm misreading things.

Funny how we never seem to get this with mullins or elliot. Maybe nicky just too much of an old fart now. He's not doing the horse any favours either with big gaps between runs. Hurricane fly danced every dance to used the racing cliche and I adored him. Can't see many adoring c hill.

Last edited:
Think he’s terrified of getting the horse beaten and not being hailed as a GOAT.

Funny how Sea Pigeon, Night Nurse and Monksfield regularly took each other on and they really were the Greats!

The horse will never be hailed as the GOAT if ‘all he does’ is win a prep then the Champion Hurdle against inferior opposition three years on the bounce.

Ah but that won’t stop Hendo fluffing and puffing his chest out as journalist fawn all over him for producing another three time winner.

The horse will never be hailed as the GOAT if ‘all he does’ is win a prep then the Champion Hurdle against inferior opposition three years on the bounce.

You could be right but there's with luck a couple of years to get to that level. Not that he's not that level already. He is not going to be running only one race before the CH that's just plain sill and not a Nicky Hendersn plan

Nicky's plan was the only suitable plan but because of weather and a health issue it hasn't worked out.

Back in the day Henry Alper totally abused Persian War who would very likely have won 4 Champion hurdles if he hadn't insisted running te horse no matter what.

Nicky simply doesn't make mistakes through greed and always puts his horses first. The 2 prizes were worth a combined £140,000, a share of the revenue the stable can not recoup. Like any business man he would have much preferred to have the money in his bank

His ability of getting horses to the festival 110% fit is legendary. He won 3 Champion Hurdle with an invalid in See You Then, brought Sprinter Sacre back from the dead to regain the QMCC after a 2 1/2 years since his first win.

There have been too many great acheivments to count including winning 9 Champion Hurdles

When I read some of the posts on here criticising him for doing the best for the horse and going the most sensible route I just think "IDIOT"

I'd love to see him running in the Betfair but whu would Nicky even consider it when he has the likely winner entered already :0)

Last edited:
He didn't run between the Christmas Hurdle and the Champion hurdle last season, so I'm not sure why anyone is surprised.

Like everyone else I'd love to see him in the Betfair but it isn't going to happen.

The National Hunt season does feel like four days in March more and more each year which is a crying shame.

He didn't run between the Christmas Hurdle and the Champion hurdle last season, so I'm not sure why anyone is surprised.

Like everyone else I'd love to see him in the Betfair but it isn't going to happen.

The National Hunt season does feel like four days in March more and more each year which is a crying shame.

I agree, tigs. Cheltenham was always something to look forward to with eager anticipation, but it seems to have become the be all and end all, casting a huge shadow over everything else. Can’t see it changing anytime soon, although the Irish festivals seem to making a big impact there - maybe a lesson to be learned.

Last edited:
Back