Coral Eclipse Stakes

I don't see how anyone has gone over the top really..the horse pulled out more when needed..like Giants Causeway did when he needed it..putting in one of the highest ratings a 3yo has got for many a year...and he wasn't all out to win either..so there is more to come.

I also think that RVW is getting plenty of credit..rightly so..without STS a comfy winner rated abot 130

Do you think we have seen a better 3yo than him in recent years?..G1 at 3 distances and we still haven't seem him totally pushed....how can he not be impressive?

STS was hit with the whip five times in the final 1½ furlongs. To say he toyed with Rip is simply a flight of fancy. There can be no doubt he repelled the challenge in style but let's keep things in some kind of perspective.

I don't see how anyone has gone over the top really..the horse pulled out more when needed..like Giants Causeway did when he needed it..putting in one of the highest ratings a 3yo has got for many a year...and he wasn't all out to win either..so there is more to come.

I also think that RVW is getting plenty of credit..rightly so..without STS a comfy winner rated abot 130

Do you think we have seen a better 3yo than him in recent years?..G1 at 3 distances and we still haven't seem him totally pushed....how can he not be impressive?

I do not disagree with much that you say. I think he won comfortably/cosily from a colt I said before today was top class (though many on here - now praising him and accepting him as top class - previously labelled him a hype horse etc)..he just did not thrash or toy with him as some are suggesting though that is not a slight on him...just accurate. Still a 130ish performance...cannot ask for much more than that.

You don't normally see a Ballydole horse humilated like that in Group company but it was a fantastic moment within the game, the way STS just put the race to bed in a few strides and the horse was waiting for some competition like "is this all you have go" and the way he just idled and waited for RVW to get within his eyesight must of got Aiden all excited then Kinane's like I haven't pressed the accelerator yet and squeezed the button to stride away at the end, LOVE IT.

I'm sorry, Italian Stallion, but this is biased nonsense.

STS was hit with the whip five times in the final 1½ furlongs. To say he toyed with Rip is simply a flight of fancy. There can be no doubt he repelled the challenge in style but let's keep things in some kind of perspective.

Indeed...including one in the last 100 yards.

If I said on here beforehand that RIP would get within a length or so (the closest he has gotten to him) to STS I do not think many would have agreed.

Last edited:
Quite right EC, and as I have said before, why all the minutiea, just understand and appreciate what we have.

Sounds like it is probably the Juddmonte and Irish Champion next.

Do we think he'll be turning out for the Arc, Breeders Cup this year? I see Hills go 5/1 that he remains unbeaten in 2009 - void if he doesn't run again.

You don't normally see a Ballydole horse humilated like that in Group company but it was a fantastic moment within the game, the way STS just put the race to bed in a few strides and the horse was waiting for some competition like "is this all you have go" and the way he just idled and waited for RVW to get within his eyesight must of got Aiden all excited then Kinane's like I haven't pressed the accelerator yet and squeezed the button to stride away at the end, LOVE IT.

How is Rip van Winkle humiliated with a performance rated somewhere between 127 and 130 from the best judges on here.

Two really good horses and a great race.

I do not disagree with much that you say. I think he won comfortably/cosily from a colt I said before today was top class (though many on here - now praising him and accepting him as top class - previously labelled him a hype horse etc)..he just did not thrash or toy with him as some are suggesting though that is not a slight on him...just accurate. Still a 130ish performance...cannot ask for much more than that.

I said after RVW ran in the Derby that he wanted 10f as he came there well but flattened..again harping back to the sectionals.. RVW showed he was as good as F&G on paper if they mean anything..unfortunately the one I was most impressed with was MOTH.. who then ran really bad ..I still think MOTH will win a decent race before the end of the year..that was too bad to be true in the Irish Derby....and I never write a horse off on one bad run..I think MOTH is also a late 120's horse..on his day..we will see.

RVW was always going to show something..there is no way that AOB designed the Derby pace around him if it was all hype.

Sea The Stars didnt even come out of 3rd gear whilst beating this 136 rated horse and he's got at least 6, that's what makes him the best horse this sport has ever seen.

I genuinly think if that field was fresh for tomorow and Sea The Stars had run an Eclipse then had to run another he would win it again, the horse is a machine! not an ounce of sweat after he won.

Just watched the replay - love how STS changed his legs as Rip came up to him and got that extra bit of momentum to put it to bed. What a pro.

Just watched the replay - love how STS changed his legs as Rip came up to him and got that extra bit of momentum to put it to bed. What a pro.

Fantastic post great observation and no one mentioned this, absolutely toying with the Ballydoyle horse.

Fame and Glory will be next, it's a beautifull time to see John Oxx which such a masterful horse instead of other operations he could leave the sport a legacy in bloodline that will be remember forever

It would be a shame, but if the media can plug that Aiden is scared to face STS again then I am sure he'll try and arrange a meeting to silence the doubters.

It won't be O'Brien ducking the issue, he has the score to settle and nothing to lose. If anyone's going to pick and choose his race it'll be Oxx

Fantastic post great observation and no one mentioned this, absolutely toying with the Ballydoyle horse.

I wouldn't call it toying. I think Rip's done well to ask the question in the first place - I thought they might struggle to get him off the bridle at one stage (now that would have been toying).

Back