Coral Eclipse

A fair point, but I think the Group 1 thing was overplayed and one of my rules is that I never back horses in all-aged events who haven`t won over the distance before.

Taken in isolation, Euronymous's view of the value about MN was entirely valid. However, just as surely as one man's meat is another man's poison, it wasn't difficult to make a case for backing the horse to beat this field.

I thought the 4/1 I got this morning was value but I probably would have been reluctant to back the horse at shorter than 5/2.

Value or not, my point was there were other valid reasons for choosing Mount Nelson rather than basing it on simply following the stable form.

Yes. Stable form wasn't the main reason I backed it. I felt the others were exposed as having limitations short of G1 and MN was coming into this race with a G1 under his belt and from better race than the others had been contending. I also felt he was likely to improve from his last run but now that the race is run it's possible his improvement has been minimal.

Another good ride by Johny Murtagh, good finish of a weak edition.

I have the winner on 122 after today.

DOM, the best 10F Horse around, would have won this by 3-4 lengths making this years Eclipse a very good G2.

Yes. Stable form wasn't the main reason I backed it. I felt the others were exposed as having limitations short of G1 and MN was coming into this race with a G1 under his belt and from better race than the others had been contending. I also felt he was likely to improve from his last run but now that the race is run it's possible his improvement has been minimal.

I think the improvement being minimal was down to the ground. When Murtagh asked him to go about his business immeadiately his head went to one side. Certain there is more to come from him on ground that is not so firm. Easily see him contesting some of the mile/1m2f races in France is there is an ease that would not suit the likes of Henry and DOM.

I thought the 4/1 I got this morning was value but I probably would have been reluctant to back the horse at shorter than 5/2.

Yeah, my mistake - having seen under 3/1 on Betfair half an hour before the race I just assumed it had been returned in the 5/2-11/4 range.

Watching the replay, I can only imagine the howls from Multidimensional backers about being put away if he and Phoenix Tower were trained by O'Brien given the way Durcan gunned him out of the stalls.

Owned by Derrick Smith and being ducked by Ladbrokes in a race sponsored by Corals.

Eh? Ladbrokes were the firm taking on Mount Nelson earlier in the week - their PR man was quoted as saying why they fancied Phoenix Tower and made it favourite.

I think ladbrokes were 7-2 on the morning, which was pretty much the general price, although there was some 4-1 available.

Ladbrokes went 3/1 about the horse all morning and they were the only ones to have him as outright favourite. When Literato came out they shortened him to 11/4.

Didn't Multidimensional show improved form when ridden prominently in the Hardwicke? Didn't take a genius to work out he was going to be up there imo. Dropping back in trip too, surely his best chance of winning was making the race a test of stamina at the trip. Do you really think Cecil would sacrifice the chances of one of his most loyal patrons to enhance the chances of one of his others? Hardly as though he's short of other Abdullah horses he could have supplemented if he wanted a pacemaker.

Scorpion in the King George though, well best not reopen that debate.

Didn't Multidimensional show improved form when ridden prominently in the Hardwicke? Didn't take a genius to work out he was going to be up there imo. Dropping back in trip too, surely his best chance of winning was making the race a test of stamina at the trip.

Who does that sound like!?!?

Ladbrokes went 3/1 about the horse all morning and they were the only ones to have him as outright favourite. When Literato came out they shortened him to 11/4.

That is incorrect. Coral (among others probably) had Mount Nelson as outright fav all day. Ladbrokes were 7-2 in the paper. Presumably connections backed it with them prompting them to go 3s. The fact remains - until that price change they hadn't been with the horse all week.

Last edited:
I looked at the ladbrokes site the night before and the morning and they were 3/1. On oddschecker they were the same with most other firms 7/2. When Literato came out they went 11/4.

Their advertised price on Saturday and in the pricewise table was 7-2.

When we originally went up with the book we made MN 10-3 fav with Phoenix Tower 4-1.

Ladbrokes joined the market on Monday, made Phoenix their 7-2 fav and Mount Nelson 4-1 and even sent out a press release about how they had a different favourite etc. On Tuesday, I was reading threads on betfair saying Ladbrokes "knew" that MN was nothing special and wasn't going to win etc etc

Now it appears they "knew" it was going to win and shrewdly ducked it on the day (but not in time for the Pricewise table) :D

It wouldn't be the first time Ladbrokes have been credited with omniscience they didn't actually possess. After George Washington won the Guineas McCririck did a piece praising them for continually being shortest about the horse. "They knew!" was the gist.

Unfortunately, it ignored the fact that they'd been longest - at 6/1 - about the horse after his Phoenix Stakes romp the previous year.

My mistake. When I looked at the market a little while before the off they were shorter than their rivals. It was clearly just a quirk of timing.

I seem to remember the guff McCririck came out with then Gus - memory is hazy but I'm pretty sure VC were shortest in the tables but McCririck conveniently ignored that...

He loves to come out with that old line that "Ladbrokes knew", especially when it comes to the old fallacy that Dillon is privy to all the Ballydoyle info.

There's a piece in Monday's Telegraph about Mount Nelson lsing over half his hoof and injuring his pedal bone when he pulled the hoof off. No wonder he didn't like the ground - so that was a very brave run. Trainer said to me today that Murtagh won the race by putting down his stick and urging the horse with his body - while Durcan was almost panicking and throwing too much at Phoenix, it might well have distracted him.

Big shame for the Cecil camp esp as i understand he's been very ill again - he and Durcan looked totally crestfallen after the race, it was quite upsetting. But you have to admire AOB for getting a horse back from an horrific injury like that - and the horse for sticking it out with the memory of that pain still fresh

Duke Of Marmalade would blow the Channon horse away at 10 furlongs and if he get the 12 furlong trip he will do the same in the King George. I presume you will be laying DOM all day at an odds on price.

what is it with this Ballydoyle bias that infuses all comments and results in complete tosh like this being written???

DoM blow Youmzain away in the KG? How? On what form?

Horse-racing isn't like supporting a football team..

Last edited:
He loves to come out with that old line that "Ladbrokes knew", especially when it comes to the old fallacy that Dillon is privy to all the Ballydoyle info.

It doesn't end there though. Anytime there has been a semblance of a market move, Mac is likely to announce is his most obnoxious voice "*insert name here* KNEW." Particularly galling with the Ballydoyle horses during Ascot.

Back