Curragh

Well done winners!

Regarding the wind today at the Curragh, how strong was it and what direction was it blowing?

Cheers

Last edited:
Couldn't be arsed waiting for ATR to get around to showing them so I'll have to catch up on Sky+ later.

Full List of horses/jockeys and saddle cloth numbers:

Group 1

4 Poet (Wayne Lordan)
2 Grand Admiral (John Reid)
1 Windsor Palace (Keith Dalton)
3 Coat Of Arms (Brian O'Neill)
5 Man Of Iron (David Quigley)
9 Born To Be King (Colm O'Donoghue)
7 Maurice Utrillo (Stephen Hunter)
6 Grand Ducal (Joseph O'Brien)
8 Mastercraftsman (Murtagh)
10 Set Sail ( S Crawford)
14 Glutenus Maximus (Pat Smullen)
12 Viceroy Of India (Sean Leavy)
11 Peter Tchaikovsky (David McCabe)
13 Westphalia (Seamus Heffernan)
15 George Bernard Shaw (Sam Curlin)

* Parade ring video to follow.

Group 2

4 Red Rock Canyon (John Reid)
2 Thewayyouare (Brian O'Neill)
1 Liszt (Keith Dalton)
3 Byzantine (Stephen Hunter)
5 Masterofthehorse (Sam Curlin)
9 Black Bear Island (David Quigley)
7 Septimus (Wayne Lordan)
6 Malibu Bay (David McCabe)
8 Freemantle (Sean Leavy)
10 Fame And Glory (Heffernan)
11 Sir Garfield Sobers (S Crawford)
13 Drumbeat ( O'Donoghue)
15 Age Of Aquarius (Murtagh)
16 Frozen Fire (James Kinane)

Video to follow...

Group 3

4 Stately Home (Jarlet Connelly)
2 Dixie Music (Sean Leavy)
1 Swiss Guard (Keith Dalton)
3 Von Jawlensky (David McCabe)
5 Francisco Goya (David Quigley)
9 Augustus The Strong (John Reid)
7 Tinseltown (James Kinane)
6 Yeats (Seamus Heffernan)
8 Munster Fusilier (Sam Curlin)
10 Crimson Sky (S Crawford)
14 Crowfoot (Wayne Lordan)
12 Majority Leader (Brian O'Neill)
11 Maytide (Joseph O'Brien)
13 Moon Indigo (Stephen Hunter)
15 Yankee Doodle (O'Donoghue)
16 Changingoftheguard (Pat Smullen)
17 Rip Van Winkle (Murtagh)

By Ashley Iveson, PA Sport
MASTER ON SHOW AT THE CURRAGH
Mastercraftsman was one of a number of horses from the powerful Aidan O'Brien string to enjoy a workout after racing at the Curragh on Sunday.
The son of Danehill Dancer, winner of four of his five starts as a juvenile, has been all the rage in ante-post lists for the Stan James 2000 Guineas at Newmarket and was ridden by Johnny Murtagh in a seven-furlong spin.
The three-year-old was settled in the middle of a large group of horses and was pushed out to the line to finish fourth in what appeared a workmanlike display. Champagne Stakes winner and Breeders' Cup runner-up Westphalia was just ahead of him in third.
"He (Mastercraftsman) got a little tired but he was entitled to. It was tacky ground and Westphalia was the same too, but at the same time they swung along," said O'Brien, who worked three groups of horses, all carrying level weights.
"Westphalia could be aimed at the French Guineas and could have a trial for that but he is still very much in the Newmarket picture."
Murtagh partnered Criterium de Saint-Cloud fourth Age Of Aquarius in the next group over a mile, where Septimus looked to move pleasingly. But the one to take the eye in that spin was Black Bear Island, who led them home and was cut to first 20-1 and then 16s (from 25s) for the Derby by William Hill. Cashmans also went 16-1 from 25s.
O'Brien said of the full-brother to Derby hero High Chaparral: "You would have to be very impressed with him. They could be a fair bunch of horses."
Irish Derby winner Frozen Fire was another to move in the second lot of horses and O'Brien said: "He might start off over a mile and a quarter at the Curragh."
The highly-regarded Rip Van Winkle finished sixth in the third and final group of horses to work, in a bunch which also featured three-time Ascot Gold Cup winner Yeats.
O'Brien went on: "He (Rip Van Winkle) missed a good bit of time. Johnny said he was very fresh but I'd be happy with that. He got a bad over-reach and missed six weeks but I'd still be happy. We've plenty of time between now and Newmarket.
"Yeats might be a bit more forward at this stage than last year. Septimus could be aimed at the Coronation Cup, and we could start them off at shorter trips this season.

Thanks for the info Galileo.

Do you know if everything is alright with Soldier of Fortune? He seems to be the only one missing from the stable today.

Thanks for the info Galileo.

Do you know if everything is alright with Soldier of Fortune? He seems to be the only one missing from the stable today.

I think he had a set back LBM, definitely wont be ready in time for the Tattersalls Gold Cup. I think I had mentioned before that Jupiter Pluvius is still in training...no longer - sold on.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info Galileo.

Do Ballydoyle have anyone for the Ganay? I'm struggling to think who they'll have for the 1m2 category this year.

@ Galileo,
thank you very very much indeed!!!

No problemo...hard to make some of the numbers out...let me know if anyone has one in particular.

Yeats is truely an awesome beast to look at...really full of himself and is a right handful. Great for us but as heard before I would imagine he is a nightmare to handle on a daily basis. Wouldn't like to be his stallion man in the future:blink:

Yeats is truely an awesome beast to look at...really full of himself and is a right handful. Great for us but as heard before I would imagine he is a nightmare to handle on a daily basis. Wouldn't like to be his stallion man in the future:blink:

Thanks for posting Gal, really enjoyed watching this.

Maybe Yeats will be more likely to behave if handler can offer a mare to him! :) That did not look like Davy Hickey leading him round or am I imagining things?

Back