Curragh

Just had a good look at the first race at The Curragh.In the normal course of things a Ballydoyle 2yo would be short enough after an encouraging debut.I think Alfred Nobel might be a half decent price because of the ground,the stable not exactly being in peak form at the moment and a decent enough opponent.My profits from the last 7 days will be going on provided he isn't odds on.

Just had a good look at the first race at The Curragh.In the normal course of things a Ballydoyle 2yo would be short enough after an encouraging debut.I think Alfred Nobel might be a half decent price because of the ground,the stable not exactly being in peak form at the moment and a decent enough opponent.My profits from the last 7 days will be going on provided he isn't odds on.

Considering they had an impressive 2 year old winner today, it might not be that much of a price.

Decent card at the Curragh today. Very different going to Newmarket (Heavy) The Group 3 HIGH CHAPARRAL EBF MOORESBRIDGE STAKES catches my eye.

I’m a fan of Famous Name, but Oxx has an improving type in there. Any thoughts on this or elsewhere on the card?

NO.</SPAN> FORM HORSE AGE WGT TRAINER RTF% JOCKEY OR TS RPR
17 50- Curtain Call 294 4 9-1 L M Cumani F M Berry — — 128
b c Sadler´s Wells (USA)Apsara (FR) (Darshaan (GB))
21 31- Famous Name 189 4 9-1 D K Weld P J Smullen 120 — 135
b c Dansili (GB)Fame At Last (USA) (Quest For Fame (GB))
35 -31 Kargali 15 t 4 9-1 John M Oxx M J Kinane 110 — 130
gr c Invincible Spirit Karliyka (Last Tycoon (GB))
42 4-0 Lady Deauville 51 4 9-1 R Curtis W M Lordan — — 126
gr f Fasliyev (USA)Mercalle (FR) (Kaldoun (FR))
54 45- Moiqen 232 4 9-1 Kevin Prendergast D P McDonogh 108 — 116
b g Red Ransom (USA)Za Aamah (USA) (Mr Prospector (USA))
66 13- Perks 226 4 9-1 J L Dunlop J Murtagh — — 127
b g Selkirk (USA)Green Charter (GB) (Green Desert (USA))
73 17- Shreyas 198 t 4 9-1 J S Bolger K J Manning 108 — 118
gr f Dalakhani Sadima (Sadler´s Wells (USA))
SP% Recommended SP% 110.5
BETTING FORECAST: 6/4 Famous Name, 4/1 Curtain Call, 4/1 Kargali, 7/1 Shreyas, 8/1 Moiqen, 10/1 Perks, 12/1 Lady Deauville.

Curtain Call was supplemented for this, so you'd imagine connections are pretty confident of a big run. Never liked Famous Name (Weld horses still not fully firing) but the Oxx horse looks dangerous.

Really interesting one for me is Shreyas. Half sister to Youmzain who only reached the racecourse last year but showed herself to be well above average. She has alot to find with some of these but she is bred to improve with age and its interesting Bolger pitches her in here first time....ground should suit too.

Curtain Call was supplemented for this, so you'd imagine connections are pretty confident of a big run. Never liked Famous Name (Weld horses still not fully firing) but the Oxx horse looks dangerous.

Really interesting one for me is Shreyas. Half sister to Youmzain who only reached the racecourse last year but showed herself to be well above average. She has alot to find with some of these but she is bred to improve with age and its interesting Bolger pitches her in here first time....ground should suit too.

A false favourite then Gal? I was thinking about backing him as he wants cut. However, I see the trainer is making noises that heavy won't be ideal (...as if it would be for any horse).

I certainly prefer the 4/1 Curtain Call than the 6/4 (in places) Famous Name!

Ladbrokes go 14/1 Shreyas which is fair enough imo. Not a race to get stuck into.

I like Whats Up Pussycat to run a big race in the Tetrach, no problem with the ground whereas the market leaders would surely prefer it better.

Last edited:
Nice to see that in Ireland you can still have group races on a Bank Holiday - Sandown should hang its head in shame .

Depressing to see what a crap race the Jubilee Handicap has now become at AW Kempton

Murtagh wasn't great there but I would have doubts about a horse that has been unlucky in two maidens.I wouldn't be backing him again.

Very straightforward from Vocalised. He'll keep them honest in the Irish Guineas at the very least.

It will be interesting to see how long he can keep on the go....third run in testing conditions with another in another to come in a couple of weeks.

Does Bolger have something else for the French 1000 Guineas? If not why is Maoineach running in today?

Last edited:
Reminds me of Wachman's colt Indesatchel from a few years back, Gal, albeit without the heavy 2yo career previously. He was never the same again after he ran his heart out in the Poulains.

Good solid performance from Curtain Call -how far can he go.I wouldn't be a fan of Cumani but he can certainly squeeze improvement from his older horses.

Another poor day for Dermot Weld at The Curragh with 2 short priced favs beaten.

Curtain Call may be back for the Tattersalls Gold Cup. Nice horse on this kind of ground.

Oxx's horse Kargali actually went off the favourite in the Mooresbridge - and finished last. But yes Dermot Weld had a case of seconditis with his good horses this weekend (Casual Conquest on Saturday).

Given better race riding from the usually excellent Pat Smullen I'd hope Famous Name could reverse the form with Curtain Call in the Tattersalls. Think we have yet to see the best from FN. From the fact that CC was supplemented for today's race, I think we have to assume that Luca Cumani had him really well tuned for this.

I would be disappointed if either Curtain Call or Famous Name were good enough to win the Tattersalls Gold Cup.

Just seen the filly win the last today...pretty impressive. Appeared to relish the going today....Love Bird.

Back