Deal Or No Deal

BrianH

At the Start
Does anyone else watch this? I first saw it in France where it has a peak time slot. It's strangely fascinating (despite Noel Edmonds).

I saw a bit of it once.

Does anyone know if there is a fixed formula applied by the bank to calculate the bids?

Or are the bids based on an assessment of an individual contestants is likely to accept?

If it's the latter, that would be discriminatory.

Yep I watch it sometimes (I can hear the "bloody students" as I type).

Think the banker should talk though instead of just down the phone to Noel Edmonds.

Originally posted by Grey@Nov 21 2005, 05:54 PM
I saw a bit of it once.

Does anyone know if there is a fixed formula applied by the bank to calculate the bids?

Or are the bids based on an assessment of an individual contestants is likely to accept?

If it's the latter, that would be discriminatory.
I think that it's a fixed formula, but you're not telling me that Brussels has legislated for how television games may be played?

It's a fixed formula, which provides a range from which the banker can choose an offer based on other factors (perceived confidence of the contestant, for example).

I can't watch it without working out the odds and screaming "go with the value!" at the screen. (Which is pretty sad).

It has been airing in Australia since about 2003, its extremely popular here, and is the number one ranked game show, and hold the prime position of being the number one show in its time slot.

I love the show, get a case and hope for dear god its the $200,000, and then go through a process of elimination knocking out the other cases until you have 2 on the board, or have taken the deal in between with the money the banker offers.

About a year ago, a guy won $200,000. Actually he had it between two cases, the .50c and the $200,000. He took the risk and won, and is now $200,000 richer.

And then the Super Deal, do you wish to take a gamble (which is what the show is all about), and increase your winnings in a 5 way guess.

Great show, intriguing to say the least.

Originally posted by BrianH@Nov 21 2005, 07:43 PM
It's strangely fascinating (despite Noel Edmonds).
My thoughts exactly! :lol: :lol:

I was reluctant to watch anything with Noel Edmonds in it but it's been kinda difficult to ignore it as the lads at work watch it avidly & bet on it daily.....

It's certainly a good idea for a game show & I find it pretty amusing - especially when you get an airhead in the hotseat - I nearly wet myself the other day when they were half way through the game, the banker offered #900 & the chav girl replied "ooohh, 900 pounds is a lot of money" & seemed to be seriously considering the offer with half the boxes left in play! They weren't all high amounts that had come out previously, either.

Aren't any of you clever clogses going to have a go, then? I'd have thought racking up a quarter-mil a mere baguetelle for most of you.

especially when you get an airhead in the hotseat

One of the contestants a couple of weeks ago was expecting the "good" boxes to "stand out" to her, and was incredibly surprised when they all looked exactly the same...

I liked it just because Noel Edmonds had tight black pants on with a studded belt......usually have to wait until 10pm on channel 999 for that kind of pleasure!

SL, the episode you mention is the one I saw.

Chav or no chav, £900 is a lot of money to many people, and it was her remark that caused me to wonder whether she was being treated in the same way as a more affluent person who wouldn't beat themselves up over losing that sort of money.

you're not telling me that Brussels has legislated for how television games may be played?

Brian, I'm not telling you anything. This is Brussels, for God's sake, so go find out for yourself. :)

I've always wondered what would have if someone did take the first or second offer. The show would be over after 20 minutes, so how would they fill the other 40 minutes?

Hopefully not with re-runs of "classic" Mr Blobby Gotcha Oscars and c-list celebrities being gunged.

I quite like the concept, but don't like the way the show is so stretched-out - mostly by Noel saying the same things over and over again. We know s/he wants to avoid picking the £250,000, so why does he have to remind us every 10 seconds? Get on with it! They could easily squeeze in 2 contestants per show to make it move faster.

I also think those phonecalls to the banker (or, shouldn't that be "producer") are way too corny.

I've always wondered what would have if someone did take the first or second offer. The show would be over after 20 minutes, so how would they fill the other 40 minutes?

Well they complete the game anyway, only in a "here's what you could have won" way. I suppose they'd just do it very slowly!

Originally posted by Relkeel@Nov 22 2005, 11:17 AM
The show would be over after 20 minutes, so how would they fill the other 40 minutes?

If you can fill each unforgiving minute with sixty seconds worth of distance run....

Well, for a start it's a forty-five minute show, which equates to about thirty-two minutes after breaks for advertisements. Then there's the "Bowen factor" - let's see what you would have won. (As Gareth says.) It takes as long to open the boxes for that as it does for aspiring winners.

The French version, which goes out in peak time, is longer but the host is a touchy-feely guy who cuddles and comforts the contestants (mainly the younger women) who all appear to have members of their families around offering advice.

And of course they're not going to have two contestants on one show - this is cheap television! But it does have something, even with Mr Blobby's dad in charge.

A truly bizarre programme. However, the cheesiness of Noel Edmunds speaking to the banker, and all the other contestants rushing over simultaneously to hug someone they don't even know makes me laugh. You can usually guess the amount the banker will offer, as its surely a programmed calculation. Theres a hollow feeling to the show, being that it requires no skill or talent whatsoever, yet they try and convince us that the contestant is playing "mind games" with the banker and that picking a box needs a sixth sense.

I wasn't sure whether to put this here, or on the old "What Do You Look Like?" thread, but everyone I know keeps telling me how much I look like Dave - a big lad who has been on DOND for the last week or so and is yet to get his chance in the "hot-seat".

I have to admit, there is more than just a passing resemblance.

Just thought you might be interested. No doubt, those on here that have met me will watch tonight's episode and pass comment in due course.

Bugger - I missed seeing Relkeel mark II!! Did Safeways after work then only half watched the end of DOND whilst cleaning, d'oh!

Back