Departures 2009

I see that point but at the time was a bit upset if being honest and Pm'd Kri on Sunday when quite saddened. It's bad enough hearing how something happens over the phone, let alone then go and read all about it again in a paper.

I agree something needs doing about a road and that, I suppose being pretty upset at first was an initial reason. It's one of those scenario's really that something bad needs to happen in order for the council to do anything. Alastair had one pushed off the road a year or so back which luckily could be repaired but the road doesn't have enough visibility for lots of traffic and with motorbikes and buses and lorries there isn't enough space and the noise if upsetting a horse, you haven't got much room to try and get out the way. When there is a main road close by there is really no need for certain vehicles to use this narrow road as a cutaway.

It's just a horrible situation which if the council ever listened in the past would have never needed to happen. Unfortunately it was an accident that happened which could have been prevented and hopefully now something will be done about it so it prevents future things from happening.

What's doubly upsetting for the Lidderdales is that one of their delightful Jack Russells was run over in the road outside the yard only a few months ago. Let's hope that the Council now gets its act together before horse and rider get mashed - which could've happened had QUIZZENE and his stayed intact.

I ran into Alastair last night at Windsor (no runners, but Alison was doing some corporate work). I hadn't realised about Quizzene, but he was his usual phlegmatic self.

Not the same syndicate, but some crossover members at various stages through Splash The Cash and other horses like Unicorn Reward and Thenford Star. Shame really because Amy seemed to really get a tune out of him. Days like this make you really stop and think how lucky we've been with others I guess.

Flame you did give a rather detailed account on this forum yourself recently of the death of Tropical Strait at Newbury which depressed a few people.

After a fine win at York only five days ago, PRINCE EVELITH, 6 y.o. German-bred, broke a leg at Ripon this evening. Had won nearly £29K for his owner, a nice genuine sort.

Very sincere commiserations to David Johnson on the loss of his horse, too - not a good week for forum owners.

oooooh no, thats horrible news. thought he was ok yesterday, but had crappy feeling when I watched reply, looked much more nasty then I realized yesterday, but then again, we all only saw yeats !!!!! racingpost was very vague.

huge shame, lovely son of lomitas, very very sad news.

from Racingpost:

GODOLPHIN'S smart stayer Vercity has had to be put down after suffering a bad injury in the Gold Cup at Royal Ascot on Thursday.
The five-year-old made much of the running under Frankie Dettori in the 2m4f Group 1, won for the fourth time by Yeats, but broke down half way up the home straight.
Godolphin racing manager Simon Crisford said: "Unfortunately he had to be put down on Friday morning as he sustained quite a bad fracture to his cannon bone. We were trying to do surgery to save him, but he couldn't be saved."
Veracity won five times from 15 starts, including victories in last year's Jockey Club Cup at Newmarket and in Dubai earlier this year.

Really sad news. Had terrible feeling at Ascot but hoped Veracity was okay. Beautiful, talented well bred horse. I thought the ground was well against him, but who knows, these things happen. :(

Not a Goldolphin fan at all, but used to be, and love some of their horses, never wish anything like this to happen. We were admiring him in the parade ring.

NOBELIX, the very attractive 7 y.o. LINAMIX gelding with J. Gask, broke a leg after the winning post in the last at Donny today, having made all and then contested for the lead very excitingly with the eventual winner. He visited Lingfield several times and had been on a winning and placing streak over his past several runs, totting up over £50,000 in prize monies. Ridden by the Australian lass, whose name I've just forgotten, but who rode him brilliantly and was punted sharply into the ground as he fell. She's okay, thankfully, just very sad that the horse wasn't.

Back