Departures 2009

PURE MAGIC confirmed dead. Any news on the aftermath of STATELY HOME's injury in the G3 at Leopardstown, please? Heard he was PU and reports are from 'injured' to 'badly injured'.

I was at Leopardstown last night krizon. Statley Home walked into the horse ambulance but was very sore looking. I don't know anything further.

Thanks for that, Chroniclandlord - I know what you mean - sometimes they can make it into the ambulance, but the vet's examination back at the stables can indicate something serious enough to require euthanasia there. Let's hope not - I know they're all nice horses, especially to their connections, but he did look a lovely feller.

Stately Home was killed at Leopardstown last week.

Sorry to hear that Galileo. I had hoped that he'd be all right but it didn't look good at the time. It is especially disappointing as he was running a good race when the injury occurred, and they seemed to have the problems with his head carriage ironed out.

Come Back To Me collapsed at the line and died after a hemoridge.

ATR caught the fall on video and it was horrible :(

Itsallyours Al sadly received fatal injuries in that schemozzle during the selling race at Sedgefield on Tuesday.

A lowly-rated animal but no doubt his owner's pride and joy.

BINIOU, who was being primed for the William Hill Ayr Gold Cup, has been put down after suffering a serious injury on the gallops, robbing trainer Robert Cowell of the best horse he has trained.
Biniou was entered to run in the Grenzen Flying Five Stakes at the Curragh this weekend but sustained an injury to his off-fore sesamoid on the Newmarket gallops on Wednesday morning.

"He was galloping in preparation for the Flying Five on Sunday when he sustained the injury," said Cowell. "We kept him in the stable overnight when we sought second and third opinions and the general consensus was the damage was almost irreparable

Oh jesus that is horrible news, they say bad news comes in threes and we've seen the tragic loss of Chief Editor, Utmost Respect and now Biniou.

I just hope all the sprinters get home this season in one piece, god bless.

Businessman reportedly fractured his Pelvis, but has been taken to vets. Looks like he'll live to fight another day.

I understand that Tony Culhane got a 14-day ban for causing the death of ALL SPIN and his jockey's broken collarbone. To me, this is risible. Drivers causing injury to others by carelessness aren't just put off the road for two weeks. Culhane doesn't have to recompense the owners for the death of their horse (one might argue that if they've insured it, the insurance claim will go through), and doesn't have to pay the injured rider for the equivalent loss of earnings. The way Flat races are being run these days, with everyone up each other's arse, it's just a matter of time, I'm afraid, before a jockey is either extremely seriously injured or killed. And the offending rider will get how many days off? In driving, it's manslaughter - will it be if it's careless riding? No, of course it won't.

I understand that Tony Culhane got a 14-day ban for causing the death of ALL SPIN and his jockey's broken collarbone. To me, this is risible. Drivers causing injury to others by carelessness aren't just put off the road for two weeks. Culhane doesn't have to recompense the owners for the death of their horse (one might argue that if they've insured it, the insurance claim will go through), and doesn't have to pay the injured rider for the equivalent loss of earnings. The way Flat races are being run these days, with everyone up each other's arse, it's just a matter of time, I'm afraid, before a jockey is either extremely seriously injured or killed. And the offending rider will get how many days off? In driving, it's manslaughter - will it be if it's careless riding? No, of course it won't.

I think there is a major difference to someone on a horse than someone in a car.

He is riding a race, and thats a key element here. In Formula One, say a driver tried to nip up the inner caused another driver to break, subsequently crash and then be killed in the incident, the police are hardly going to arrest the other driver are they.

Also you may use the reigns as breaks but not all horses are that responsive. However in this case the horse was a furlong out the stalls and was taking a position. Yes he moved across another horse who subsequently put All Spin through the rail but I'm sorry but it wasn't at a point of the race where they were pushing and kicking, it was when they were taking position.

Culhane moved over so yes, without making sure he had the room to do so its careless riding. Did he mean to put a horse through the rail, no I doubt it. Also if you see the incident I don't think he knows there's a horse there. He has about a length between himself and the other horse involved, but doesn't see the horse on the rail.

It's hardly a case of all horses being on top of each other either Kri, they were taking position, Culhane had clear view of the rail and moved over. the horse in behind him checked back and in, causing All Spin to clip his heels and go through the rails. Whilst this was unlikely to have happened had Culhane not gone to the rail, the side on actually suggests there was room for him to do so, and what actually caused All Spin to come down was the other horse drifting in and being reigned back.

Whilst its a manoeuvre and therefore careless riding, I think to make an accusation that Culhane should be dealt with severely because a rider got injured or a horse got killed is ludicrous. It's jockeys going for positioning and Mazzola was going forward for Culhane. End of the day its race riding, and these things do happen.

How Tony Culhane is still allowed to ride in general is beyond me.

If he was a Rugby League player....

Flame, wait until someone's killed because someone's "going for a position", as you put it, and then see if you think a stronger punishment than a suspension is ludicrous. All riders go for a position at some point in every race - Culhane is a fully-licensed jock, a professional, not an over-keen apprentice or a less-experienced claimer, and one would expect him to be able to execute a manoeuvre which doesn't lead to the death of a horse and injure its rider. Would you be quite so sanguine about the incident if you owned the dead horse?

The analogy to driving a car was - as I made clear - in terms of causing injury and commensurate punishment: if a taxi driver totalled another's car and injured his passenger, because he was 'taking a position' on the road, you can be sure he'd be getting a lot more than 14 days suspension from driving.

Back