Departures 2009

Just to add, I was thinking about Morley Street this week with the news of Al Eile's return. Some fantastic memories of Aintree, particularly his fourth win in the Aintree Hurdle.

Nick Luck did mention he thought another had died because the fall looked horrific but just as he was telling viewers about it the camera went to the course & showed the horse being led away from behind the screens, very battered & shaken but he was walking away so fingers crossed!

Edited to say the horse mentioned above is world shift in the last & did get up eventually

Cape Verde Sal looked a bit odd when falling then getting up & standing as though he was injured but according to the RUK wrap they were ok apparently

Last edited:
Thanks very much for that - I was there too and one horse brought down in the last or 2nd last looked injured so pleased that there were no further fatalities (one is bad enough) as I heard nothing on the tannoy

does anyone know how russian invader fared at Fakenham? fell, and commentator said "up ok", but later mentioned that horse was held in front of the stands and seems to be injured ?! thanks.

From what ive read today via another site she finished exhausted apparently and could barely stand especially on the leg she banged jumping 4 out but that it was nothing more. Hope thats all it is sorry cant be anymore specific.

I was told Butlers Cabin collapsed after the line today but got up and was OK, just very winded and needed oxygen. Don't think he'll be winning a GN somehow

Sorry they even brought the mare to Cheltenham, she must hate the place! She fell in the two previous years.

Butler's Cabin gives a lot in his races - he was very mch on the verge of collapse after winning the 4 miler here two years ago and needed bcket after bucket of water thriwig over him.

Very game and genuine he was.

My favourite memories were of his two hard fought wins at Lingfield, giving lumps of weight away to his old rival Bleu Superbe.

Yes, Turkey loved Lingfield. I didn't think he ought to be pointing, and I own a pointer. Just did nto think he was up to it and he was killed on his debut. Totally gutted.

Same for Bonus, do not think he should have been running at Wolves, track dodgy for those with old dodgy legs. Such a shame, has been a grand horse too.

Jameel Asmar.

Put down at home, aged 17, having had a whale of a time when initially it didn't look like he'd survive a serious injury sustained in Pasternak's Magnet Cup. Jim recovered well and spent years in Malvern being ridden and hunted and generally spoiled!

Back