Departures 2009

Yeah, he was a dude alright. Fair play to connections for saving him in the first place; plenty of others would have had him put down. He spent a while up at the Liverpool vet school and came back with a plaster cast (with a kind of wedge under his pastern/fetlock to support it) on the leg and a good home was looked for immediately. He had a great life in Malvern, even staying sound enough to go hunting on occasion.

Quid Pro Quo died yesterday

Lords Seamus of Kim Baileys, a piece of birch damaged his coffin bone & had to be put down

There was carnage in the last at Exeter yesterday, at least one horse killed....and looked to fatally injure the other he brought down

Some more recent ones

Archimbaldo (Ludlow)
Captain Conflict (Clonmel)
Publican (Down Royal)
Fantastic Arts (Newbury)
Conny Nobel (Chepstow)
Quid Pro Quo (Kempton)
Lord Seamus

Why so? I didn't see the race and there was no indication in the race report of, er....

Yes RR is no more, very sad at 10 - I saw him only a fortnight or so ago at Sandown

Some other talented animals there. But I'm esp sad about Lord Seamus for Kim Bailey's yard, I was reading about it on KB's blog. He'd been in the yard many a long year and was everyone's schoolmaster

Halabek retired

Halabek who came close to winning the Derby in 2006, has been retired after a career which was restricted to just three runs.
The son of Halling was beaten the equivalent of a neck when fourth behind Sir Percy at Epsom but may well have won but for losing momentum when jinking inside the final furlong.
Injury prevented him running again for over two years but when he did he won by seven lengths in a Nottingham conditions race on his only start for Saeed bin Suroor. He had previously been trained by Michael Jarvis.
Godolphin racing manager Simon Crisford said: "He was obviously a top horse on his day but he did have lots of problems and we felt it was in his best interests not to try and get him back."

Rimpton boy collapsed and died in P2P
Allysheba died after fall aged 25
Fishing Instructor died after last flight fall at Kelso
Dancers Serenade at Southwell
Randwick Roar at Kempton

Exotic Dancer - had heart attack back in stables after todays race and was PTS. RIP - a very very sad bit of news.

And not forgetting Mel In Blue, owned and ridden Nick Sutton who'd taken him over from the Waley-Cohens

It might be old news but wasn't on here. Sadly Bonus was put down the other week. he broke down badly at Wolverhampton on the 7th March and had to be humanely destroyed.

Last edited:
That was very sad indeed. The Sherwood yard lost two at Doncaster around Feb 28th, one of which was Arrayou, a great fave at home. Ive not been able to find out which the other horse was

Back