Departures 2010

Ah shucks....Schindlers was owned by a syndicate including Lar Byrne and my family know some of the others involved. Awful shame, they had some great days out with him, particularly when Lar was just out of hospital.

Terrible shame, loved him. Not many left of his generation, used to run so well with VPU and Monet. Seemed to enjoy racing too. Really gutted. :mad:

Good - I saw what you saw right in the corner of the frame but was hoping she was just shaking it out at a funny angle.

Only saw one race during my break today, not long in from a long day and delighted to see not one horse harmed today - Ruby will recover, and didn't have to be euthanized on course, which is nice.

There's a comment on the RP online tonight from a chap saying that although it wasn't nice that The Rube was injured, he found it hilarious that Jim McGrath had to assure viewers that the screens were for his privacy, and that he wasn't going to be shot!

I was asked by a punter at Plumpton why screens were put up (for a fallen - thankfully not injured - jockey) and I said, "Oh, the doctor's going to put him to sleep now. They're no good once they've bust an arm or a leg." There was a disconcertingly long silence as he solemnly digested this, until I had to reassure him that no, while racing might take its toll, we didn't really despatch the riders. Mind you, there are probably some apprentices champing at the bit who wouldn't mind the odd cull to make way for new blood!

The bright, bonny, charming JAGOES MILLS today at Limerick in a sickening fecking fall. I'm not going to watch any more chasing. Hurdles I can just about manage, the Flat is fine. I've been very keen on this horse from the start and he was so engaging today - almost looking right into the camera, bowling along with ears pricked and loving his job. Then this. I admit I'm in tears, and that doesn't happen too often. I'm fed up beyond belief and no, thank you, I don't want any feckin lectures. Chasing's out from now on. I'd rather watch re-runs of The X-Factor as a punishment.

A good long innings.

My parents took me to see Dessie in the Whitbread, as it was then, and Strands of Gold finished third to him, before going on to win the Hennessy the next season.

Western Leader retired. I didn't realise he broke down after the race on Friday.

A shame. He was a nice prospect.

I was asked by a punter at Plumpton why screens were put up (for a fallen - thankfully not injured - jockey) and I said, "Oh, the doctor's going to put him to sleep now. They're no good once they've bust an arm or a leg." There was a disconcertingly long silence as he solemnly digested this, until I had to reassure him that no, while racing might take its toll, we didn't really despatch the riders. Mind you, there are probably some apprentices champing at the bit who wouldn't mind the odd cull to make way for new blood!

I once heard a tale of an old dear who went into a betting shop for a National flutter back in 1998 and said to the cashier; "I feel a bit bad putting bets on after those three horses and a man died the other day."

Before the cashier told her that three horses including One Man had died and no humans had actually been killed!

WESTERN LEADER has been retired after breaking down when second in the Grade 1 John Smith's Sefton Novices Hurdle at Aintree on Friday.
Thesix-year-old attempted to make all in the 3m 1f event before being caught on the run in and beaten six lengths by Wayward Prince.
Trainer John Hanlon said on Sunday: "Western Leader broke down badly on his right fore-leg and, sadly, his racing days are over.
"It's a huge blow for me, his owner Barry Connell and for everyone in the yard.
"Barry is going tokeep the horse as a pet."
Western Leader won two bumpers and two hurdle races, including the Grade 2 Michael Purcell Memorial Novices Hurdle at Thurles in February.

Sadly Karashah died at Sedgefield today, he was being led back after finishing and keeled over and had a heart attack right in front of the stands and where we were stood :( What was sad for me is that it was family fun day, it was fairly obvious what was happening yet people with small children stood there letting them watch.

Oh, hell, poor horse. As for kids watching, they may as well learn life's lessons apply to horses as much as gerbils and white mice. Horrible for the groom attending, though.

Dreadful time, and to my mind very unusual to see such good horses being killed in Ireland. I know you have your losses there, of course, but I've always thought that in ratio to the size of the fields and the amount of meetings, they were pretty low. Lower than what looks like a daily death rate in the UK, anyway. Very distressing to see them go and especially as they have seemingly been very close to their connections.

To the relief and happiness of a lot of the horse's fans! Thank goodness they decided he wasn't sparkling on the track, although apparently going with gusto at home, and didn't push him until entirely soured like DEANO'S BEENO.

Classic-winning jockey Greville Starkey dies

By Graham Green 7:03PM 14 APR 2010
GREVILLE STARKEY, the Classic-winning jockey arguably best remembered for losing the 1986 Derby on Dancing Brave, has died of cancer at the age of 70 at his home outside Newmarket.
16051.jpg
Greville Starkey: hit the heights during 33-year riding career
PICTURE: Mark Cranham
His partner of 15 years, Julie Elliott, was with him when he died.
Starkey scaled the heights of his profession during his 33-year career, which included winning the 1978 Derby and Irish Derby on Shirley Heights, the 1978 Oaks and Irish Oaks on Fair Salinia and the 1975 Arc on outsider Star Appeal.
And while he failed to win the Derby on Dancing Brave, Starkey was in the saddle when Khalid Abdullah's star landed the 2,000 Guineas at Newmarket.
He was also involved in controversy at Royal Ascot in 1988 after being unseated when Ile de Chypre suddenly swerved across the course. The reason for the incident was never discovered, but among many theories one of the most widely reported was that the horse was hit by a stun-gun.

Back