Departures 2010

I was so upset about lovely HEART SPRINGS that I shot off an e-mail of condolence to Dr Naylor and, same evening as her departure, got a lovely one back. Said he'd just got home having driven a 'very empty horsebox' back, and couldn't believe they'd lost her. He said he'd had her since she was a very gangly 3 y.o. and that she was named for the heart-shaped star on her forehead, and her sire, PARTHIAN SPRINGS, that she lived up to having heart every day, showing great enthusiasm. Won for them on the flat, hurdles, and jumps and that she was a real part of the family.

It went to show that behind these sad statistics, there's often a very heartfelt story, and the good doctor would certainly be someone with whom I'd trust my horse to get the best care and attention. The affection in which she was held - even, as he said, 'though she never won a Gold Cup' - was most touching.

An even sadder aspect of Lord Arion's fatal injury in the Lingfield AW bumper is that he was bought by his enthusiastic owners as a replacement for their previous horse which was also killed on the racecourse. They waited over a year for him to make his debut (he had a minor tendon problem), then this happens. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them walk away from the sport forever. I know it would make me think twice about carrying on.

As Krizon says, there's very often a poignant story behind the statistics.

Oh, good grief, just how unfair can it be at times? I'm so sorry for them, MO. If you know them, do let them know that other people care and send sincere commiserations on the loss. I don't know that I'd be up for another horse after such a cruel double loss, either. That has to knock the stuffing out of you.

Sadly Fight Your Corner was put down yesterday, even though he has been retired for a while now. My friend got him from Darley rehoming, for £117.50!! he has been as wonderful a horse off the track as he was on it.... I was at MJs when he was about, one of my best friends led him up at the Derby, and even though he has travelled al over the world with horses that was his proudest moment. Thankfully Rocky went downhill quickly, he had been fine until being spun by the vet before a 3day event at the end of september. He has been an absolute superstar, competing in Dressage, hunter trials, 3 days events and showing and will be missed by everyone.

Sleep tight Rocky xxxx

So sorry to hear that LE. I'd seen some pictures of Rocky in his new life on the rehoming website and on the Horse and Hound forums and looked like he's really taken to life away from racing.

Another good racehorse showing how versatile TBs are - so pleased he had a great life after racing, LE. Just one thing - could you please explain what being 'spun by the vet' means?

At the start of a 3 day event (or endurance ride, etc) horses are trotted up for the vet. Now Rocky has a plate in his leg after breaking his leg in the Derby and he spent 2 years at MJR so bound to have a lot of miles on the clock, so hes not the greatest mover. His owner was upset at the time as she didnt think he was lame but the vet obviously saw something else, and a week later he was pretty lame and never recovered

Oh, right - given a jog to see if they're going soundly or not. I had a mental image of the poor horse being put into a centrifuge, after which I wouldn't blame them for not being the same again! What a good vet, though, to spy something which concerned him, and which did indeed indicate a serious problem. Much better than having him break down again during an event, which would've been very distressing for everyone to see. I'm sorry to hear he's gone, but it sounds like he had a terrific life and a good owner.

BEN CHORLEY, Tim Vaughan's promising (4 wins from 11 starts) 6 y.o. when going well in the Novices Hurdle at Taunton. PU, dism, 'fatally injured'. Not the least problem was the howling sidewind, with attendants desperately trying to hide his despatch from onlookers as the billowing screens fought them.

Last edited:
Another old favourite of quite a few racegoers - Ask the Guvnor, found dead in his field this morning. Had a wonderful life with his owner,who is completely devistated hes gone. :(

Apologies if this has been posted before but I have not seen it, and I have only just found out that one of my all time favourite horses, Bold Edge, is no longer with us. One of the bravest, kindest and most genuine horses I ever had the honour of meeting.

Two on Thursday: the BOB BACK handicap chaser, NEWBAY BOB, falling at the first at Wincanton, and Alan King's ex-Flat PETER GRIMES, hurdling at Market Rasen. RP states blundered, soon PU, fatally injured.

Last edited:
On the plus side is that Gone to Lunch who was so ill at the end of last season with what they thought was shipping fever (or pleurisy), has made an incredible recovery and may well be running soon! Considering he was at death's door and they had virtually called in the knackerman, it is really good news.

Very sadly trainer Frank Jordan has passed away due to a brain tumour and it is also reported in the RP that amateur, Christopher Watson, who was riding out for trainer, John Berry, was tragically killed on the gallops in Newmarket.

That's fabulous news about GONE TO LUNCH who with NAMED AT DINNER, represents some of my favourite horses! (Food being the theme, you see.) What a comeback, can't wait to see him on track again.

Meanwhile, elsewhere, Arkwright has mentioned that we lost SPIRIT OF THE MIST today.

Saw the Ch 4 feature about Gone to Lunch and his trainer and always follow small yards like that. Rather glad I didn't know he was ill, but very glad to hear that he's better.

Very nasty F and BD on the turn in in the apprentices h'cap at Wolverhampton just now: Sophie Silvester on SHAKESPEARE'S SON fell and BD SORREL POINT, ridden by Natasha Eaton. Sophie and her fatally injured horse went right down, Natasha managed to slightly break her fall by hanging off her horse's neck for a while. SORREL POINT galloped on apparently unharmed, while Sophie has been ambulanced to hospital. Fingers crossed. The heavy mist didn't seem to play any part - more a question of youngsters running up each other's backsides, quite difficult to negotiate safely round Wolves' tight turns.

I really can't believe that there has been so little said on here about the death of the amateur rider Christopher Watson. It's even been mentioned on this thread yet ignored! It was a tragic death of an enthusiastic amateur who reportedly lost an iron and was bolted with which was the last seen of him until his body was found. It's a terrible and tragic story and one which rams home the risks taken by every one of us every time we ride out a racehorse, hell, get on any horse. My sympathies are with his family and the John Berry yard, who must be feeling it horrendously.

It's also very sad news about Frank Jordan, a character who succumbed to one of the most horrible of diseases.

Last edited:
from the RP :

TRAINER John Berry paid tribute on Thursday to Christopher Watson, the 61-year-old part-time work-rider killed on Newmarket Heath on Wednesday.

Watson, who travelled from his home in Sapcote, Leicestershire, to ride out one morning a week for the Beverley House trainer, is thought to have been thrown against a tree after losing his left iron on the Berry-owned gelding Kadouchski, while the string was cantering on Side Hill.

Suffolk police and officials from the Health & Safety Executive were continuing to investigate the incident on Thursday. A post mortem will establish the exact cause of death before an inquest is opened.

Watson, a retired businessman, had held an amateur jockey's licence since 1995, but did not ride a winner in 17 mounts under rules in bumpers and on the Flat.

Watson previously rode out for Kevin Morgan, whom he had planned to join as assistant when the trainer moved to Newmarket before finding his ties to the Midlands too strong to sever.

Berry said: "Everyone here is terribly shocked by what was a tragic accident made all the more so by the fact that Chris was such a nice, popular and friendly guy who we all liked very much. He introduced himself to me during the summer, like all amateurs he was looking for places to ride out, and he had fitted in really well.

"The one thing that must be said is that Chris died among friends. The fact that he wanted to drive over from Leicestershire early in the morning once a week shows he really enjoyed coming, he was riding what was probably his favourite horse here, and he died in a place where he was very well liked."

Morgan said: "Chris rode out for me when I was at Waltham on the Wolds, and when I moved to Newmarket he was going to be my assistant trainer, but accommodation was a problem and he decided not to come. Chris was a really nice guy, he loved racing and riding, and I can't believe what's happened."

Jockey Club Estates chief executive, William Gittus, said: "We are all hugely saddened by the accident and wish to send our deepest sympathies to Christopher Watson's family and friends.

"I am very proud of the way Nick Patton and his team out on the training grounds reacted to what was a very difficult situation with speed, professionalism and sensitivity, and we are of course carrying out our own internal investigation and co-operating closely with the police and Health & Safety Executive.

"Safety on the gallops obviously is always of paramount importance to us, but sadly we don't believe anything could have been done to prevent this tragic accident."

Kennel Bridge, trained by Colm Murphy, broke his shoulder before the turn in at Punchestown during the week. Very sad as he was a trier. Owners have already bought a replacement which is good to see.

Winsley Hill collapsed and died in front of the stands at Ascot today, it was very sad to see. Connections, in particular Rodi Greene, were visibly very, very upset and needed consoling.

Back