Departures 2010

If I might say, I'm not entirely happy with people's obits being lumped in with horses. I think there are very few human deaths which are reported on here, even though, obviously, a dozen or so racing-related people die every month. Old jockeys and trainers, even young people. I might be in the minority, but I'd prefer human obits separated from the horses and due respect not lost in the endless list of equine fatalities. I think it's difficult for some of us who don't know the people, or have maybe only seen them once or twice on tv, to say much without sounding trite. What can one say about very young people dying? It's awful, and you can say you send condolences (in case anyone connected reads this site) but it's also fake to try and say much more when you don't know them in the same way as you may have followed particular horses very closely for years.

And contuing the roll of the equine dead, PRIVATE BE collapsed and died on the horsewalk at Aintree today following a burst blood vessel, and I've received news that Ollie Sherwood's STRONG COFFEE has been pts at home due to complications with colic.

Very sorry to hear about ELLERSLIE GEORGE and WINSLEY HILL - they seem part of the wallpaper and their presence will be much missed.

Jeez, could they not at least have covered the poor horse up with a tarp? Just in shot, lying flat out still wearing his tack, the poor soul. I missed the start and his first-fence fall, but the fatality must've been very sudden.

I thought he was still moving when the camera skimmed past him - could be a broken shoulder perhaps or fingers crossed just badly winded.

Did you, Gal? Well, if he's just very badly winded, that'll be a good result in the manner of Paddy Mangan! One can hope for miracles. Otherwise, it's pretty miserable.

He was very clearly still writhing on the ground when the field passed again, with nobody apparently in attendance. Disgusting, and I only ever seem to see this on Irish courses. Are their welfare rules different?

I can't say I saw him moving at all but as his front part was out of shot, I'm sure someone would be with him. However, it would've been less distressing for all if screens had been put up. The jumps attendants presumably were waving the field past the obstacle, so it's not that difficult to bung up some screening. Very tragic that such a nice horse, a good hurdler, went at the very first fence on his chasing debut.

Hm, I must have seen a different camera shot then as the horse was clearly shown, apparently struggling, nobody holding him etc. Not a nice thing to see at all and it's really upset me today.

Yes, it was very distressing to see. I could never walk away from racing, because I've loved it all my life [and I'm pretty old!] but I've found the past few days very hard to take.

I gave up watching chasing for some months, bar when a horse connected to someone I knew was running. I probably prefer to watch only the top horses now, or at least if not top, very experienced. I won't walk away from racing per se because I like horses too much, but I had to stop watching all and any chases because too many deaths occurred, and there are just so many 'three and a swinger' shots I can take. (I know someone's going to batter on about deaths on the Flat, but any halfwit can work the ratio out and know they're nothing like NH's.)

He was very clearly still writhing on the ground when the field passed again, with nobody apparently in attendance. Disgusting, and I only ever seem to see this on Irish courses. Are their welfare rules different?

You have an active imagination.

Without wanting to be jumped on, Kri - even top horses can and do die in races.

It's never easy to swallow the deaths and some hit home more than others. Yes, it makes you question what you are doing sometimes - if I get upset over a death (surprising as it is, I do sometimes) I do end up asking myself why I am involved in racing and own and train horses for that very purpose. I asked myself after Winsley Hill died how I could subject my mare to the risk of dying but concluded that I was being a tad daft. Yes, horses die in races; they fall, they break down, they collapse, but they love doing the job - my horses certainly do - and whatever else they may do comes with its associated risks. Hell, we lost one to colic last year - a horse who was being kept in great surroundings, was pampered, loved, fed well and cared for. Yet without taking him out of his box, he had to be put down. They can - and do - break legs in the field; a friend of mine lost her ex-racehorse mare a few months ago, she found her in the field, a leg swinging. No matter what discipline the horse engages in, no matter the quality of the surroundings they are kept in, no matter how well fed they are, no matter how pampered they are, they are at the risk of dying, even if they don't leave their box/field. All we can do is our best to keep them happy and healthy and hope the worst doesn't happen.

That has always been my arguement [my pony died of colic and which I always think is the cruellest thing to happen to a horse or pony]. Seeing Hello Bud jump those National fences today was what we watch racing to see; exhilarating and uplifting. It's just that, somehow, this weekend the balance of good and bad has gone awry.

That depends on how they handle the situation, IS - and if the horse even knows them. Some jocks are great, empathetic and know where to be and how to deal with an injured horse which is being dealt with by the vets etc. Others aren't as skilled and would be more of a nuisance than anything else. If they're able to be quiet and calm and have the necessary strength needed to help restrain an injured animal, that's great but if they become over emotional from shock, that's of no use whatsoever to either horse of those dealing with it, even thought it's entirely understandable.

Anyone who has ever had to have a large, injured animal destroyed will know exactly what I mean

Paul Townend remained with the horse

They should have screens there quicker alright in fairness

But Purr imagined something different.

Well, yeah, top horses die, too, Shadz! I'm not squeamish, I can't tell you the sights I've seen in Africa and the Middle East as they'd put people off breakfast tomorrow, and I've seen too many horses break their legs a few yards away from me at Plumpton, lost one of my own dying from a heart attack showjumping, yadda-yadda. But I try to watch 'good' jumps races as those competitors tend to die less often, having figured out the best way to stay alive is not to fall, but natch, they're not held in the hand of God, so one day I have to accept one might suffer either a career-ending injury or get 'fatally injured'.

I agree about who attends stricken horses, though. Never forget how calm and sensible Noel Fehily was when Charlie Mann's 'wrong un' (one he'd brought in error for another - INVESTMENT FORCE) broke both front legs near to me at Plumpton some years ago. The horse was standing on two broken cannon-bones and Noel stayed with the poor animal right to the end, some comfort to him until he went down. Younger riders who might never have ridden a horse suffering such a ghastly event might've been screaming or sobbing at the sight of it. I wouldn't blame them as shock hits people differently - some can take it better than others.

Last edited:
The worst I shall always remember is Rouble breaking two legs at Cheltenham - an utterly brilliant novice .

Poor PRIVATE BE today .

Back