Departures 2010

ADMIRAL RODNEY in the 7.40 at Wolverhampton - breaks a leg in the finishing straight, knocks into and BD PEARL with Richard Hughes aboard, him and Mickey Fenton flung into the dirt. While poor Rodders is being despatched, the lads recover, dust themselves off, and Hughesy is business as usual in the next, nutting Hanagan on the line in a tremendously tight finish. I hand it to all jockeys, Flat and jumps - they are brave as tigers when it comes to falls, especially those you really don't have any anticipation of and can't try to get into a slightly better position before you're splattered. (PEARL was also okay - ran on uninjured.)

Last edited:
BALLISTIC, US-parentage 2 y.o. colt having his very first run, at Lingfield, in the first race. Stumbled in the straight and 'fatally injured'.

SLIEVECORRAGH, in the first at Thurles, the Beginners' Chase. Doing well until falling at the sixth, carries on riderless chasing the leaders, jumps the last and breaks off-fore. Only 6 y.o. (P. Flood/B. Geraghty.)

Well,after nearly being despatched last October (guilty m'lord) I'm glad to say that Welsh Emperor was retired today after his run at Doncaster.

Sweet that he showed for a while, too, to prove there was still some spark. Very pleased that he's been sent off to enjoy a nice (well, I hope it is) retirement.

I may be wrong, but No.11, MIDNIGHT PRESENT, seems to have gone wrong in the Maiden Hurdle at Limerick (1.35 pm). PU and dismounted, leg looks wrong behind. Three terribly bad prior runs, dating back to March 2009, age 7. What was there to prove, other than the horse can't compete?

I'm getting to the point where if you haven't placed by a certain age or number of runs, let alone win, you ought to be dropped from the 'fit to compete' list. Not that there is such a list, as far as I'm aware, but perhaps there ought to be. No wins or places in X number of tries - off you go. I know Ireland is beset by the serious problem of far too many horses with nowhere to go, but the racecourse wasn't the place for this hapless one.

If one of the alleged many ills in racing is too many poor horses, then surely the well-paid minds at the top of its various committees could bend them to winnowing them out, painlessly, before they break down publicly, or get in the way of those with some hope?

Last edited:
HEART SPRINGS, chasing mare trained by Dr Jeremy Naylor, BD by the twisting fall of MARKED MAN and fatally injured. I am in tears - really loved this sweet girl over the years. No superstar, but ever sincere.

Sorry to say that there were two fatalities at Market Rasen, Diaco who broke a leg in the novice chase and Wenger who took an horrendous fall at the last in the following race. Wenger was an honest, if rather moderate, chaser who won 5 times under rules and was placed on numerous occasions. He will have given his owners a great deal of pleasure and he deserved a better end.

I'm wrong about MIDNIGHT PRESENT - there are two others PU in the race and it's one of those three or four out. MP completed the race, albeit 10th. What the RP fails to complete in its analysis is that whichever of the two it is, it was dismounted and injured.

HEART SPRINGS, chasing mare trained by Dr Jeremy Naylor, BD by the twisting fall of MARKED MAN and fatally injured. I am in tears - really loved this sweet girl over the years. No superstar, but ever sincere.

Agreed Kri - she was in training when I had shares in Molly in training with the Doctor whilst Fudge was assistant trainer down there.

RIP Heart Springs :(

Rough Sailing - the horse that slipped up in the Juvenile Turf last night in the BC was PTS apparently after sustaining a fracture.

Perhaps they were right not to risk Workforce after all (although FWIW I think he would have won with Bekhabad not running his race in what looked to be a very weak Turf race). Hope he stays in training now.

Diaco poor animal jumped the fence with a leg he broke coming into the fence and then rolled over- hideous.

Christ, that must've been dreadful to watch - imagine any connections seeing that. Bad enough for anyone even seeing it on tv.

Agreed Kri - she was in training when I had shares in Molly in training with the Doctor whilst Fudge was assistant trainer down there.

RIP Heart Springs :(

Heart Springs owner was the same who eventually took Molly on too IS.

Lord Arion was fatally injured (on debut:() in the bumper at Lingfield according to RP.

That would've been Mrs Galton, BW? HEART SPRINGS' current owner is/was Mrs Elphick.

IS and I had decamped for Brighton by the time the Bumper came up - and that was run on the AW, so I wonder what happened to LORD ARION? Very sad. I see my r/c notes say he was the first foal of an unraced half-sister to CAB ON TARGET.

Back