Epsom Derby 2012

I can't wait till Sunday as my two bets for this year's Derby might be running in Ireland and France. Hopefully I will be in a position of trading my bets after those races.

Two Derby entries in Friday's Dee Stakes at Chester; O'Brien's Astrology (by Galileo out of a Prix Saint-Alary winner) and Andrew Balding's Criterium International trouble-in-running-finder 3rd Bonfire.

They have identical ORs at this stage, although you would think that Astrology is down the pecking order at Ballydoyle. It would be disappointing if Bonfire isn't up to winning this.

Last edited:
The son and brother of Ballydoyle's last two Derby winners, Father Of Science, won the maiden at Chester quite nicely. Looks more an Irish Derby or Leger candidate to me, though.

and Andrew Balding's Criterium International trouble-in-running-finder 3rd Bonfire.

The sort of nag you'd see in a handicap and convinced he's well rated follow him off a cliff for the next two years. As bad an ante-post tip from Mr Segal as Menorah was for the Arkle.

I also think Bonfire is an atrocious price for the Derby, whether you are talking 8s or 12s. How is he shorter than Mandaen??!!

He is to the Derby what Top Offer was to the Guineas...

Last edited:
You're surely not considering a Godolphin horse after the horror show they had on Sunday?

I think you can put a line through that. They won the same race last year!

Al Zarooni is a very talented trainer and he has a good few weeks until the race.

I also think Bonfire is an atrocious price for the Derby, whether you are talking 8s or 12s. How is he shorter than Mandaen??!!

He is to the Derby what Top Offer was to the Guineas...

Ultimately I suspect you will be right about this in that he may well be unplaced and I'm not tempted at the moment at current prices. However, it would be disappointing if he cannot win on Friday. If O'Brien's colt win it can only solidify the case for Camelot.

You're surely not considering a Godolphin horse after the horror show they had on Sunday?

I haven't backed anyone as yet. With the ground as it was, I think most horses can be given another chance. Agree it was a horror show though.

If I had to back anything now, I would be spreading bets out on Mandeaen (20/1), Akeed Mofeed (14/1) and a little on Ernest Hemmingway (25/1), all each way.

I would be very much including him at the front of my thoughts but where can they run him now? Apparently Mandaen goes to the Dante...

Back