Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

1921 winner Humorist died while having his portrait painted by Albert Munnings shortly after winning at Epsom; post mortem the horse was found to have tuberculosis.
(I knew there would be one anorak to trip me up! :lol: )

Gutted. I was into him quite heavily for both the Hennessy and Gold Cup.

This has put me off any more a/p betting until the NRNB concessions kick in.

Has a horse ever come back from a tendon injury and performed within a stone of their previous best? Struggling to think of any

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

Remittance Man cuffed Deep Sensation and Wonder Man in the Emblem at Kempton, after 18 months off with a tendon injury, but Fitzgerald put him on the deck 3 out in the Champion Chase the next month. Was never the same horse after in the couple more races he ran.

Has a horse ever come back from a tendon injury and performed within a stone of their previous best? Struggling to think of any

Does it depend on the treatment used (or not used)?

Do they still take horses out of training to off-the-radar places where they can pin-fire tendons?

Didn't one famous horse have a tendon implant that worked?

Can they now re-grow tendons?

Where's a vet when you need one?

It really depends on the severity of the tendon injury and how good the initial care is. You need to get the heat and swelling down as quickly as possible and then start rehab work like in hand walking. Gone are the days when they recommend extended box rest. I have had horses do a tendon and get it back to looking near perfect when re-scanned only for their to be a weakness in the tendon fibres and the horse to damage it further down/up the leg as soon as you put them under any pressure.
My vet reckoned about 85% of horses currently NH racing have issues! And when you see a horse changing legs a lot or starting to hang or favour one leg, you can be pretty sure something is brewing.

Sorry only a Vets’s daughter! Think Eddie (edgt) better qualified or probably Trudi.

Last edited:
Firing is supposed to be banned in this country. I know of trainers who do it under the radar and some who ship them over to Ireland. IMO it should stay banned and any trainer caught with one, punished. All it does is create scar tissue and prolongs the amount of time off (a year is absolutely necessary in any case).

Not sure about regrowth - Trudi or Google.

We owned former Hennessy winner Couldn’t Be Better in retirement and his owner had carbon fibre implants put in prior to him ever racing. He still got a leg!

Was it a tendon injury Dream Alliance had - I remember he was off for ages then came back to win the Welsh (I think) national.

Laurina has been retired by connections after finishing last of three at Ascot on Saturday.

The seven-year-old was having her first start for Paul Nicholls at the Berkshire track but lost touch from the home turn in the Coral Hurdle and was beaten 46 lengths by Song For Someone.

Shewearsitwell has had a slight setback, stable are hoping that it is minor and looking to run her later in the season.

Back