Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Fly Miss Helen was awful to see in the Sweet Solera. To have had such a promising once raced filly snuffed out in her next start must be heartbreaking.

The Fly Miss Helen comparison is a good marker for Croco Bay. It can happen at any time and not always on course (Vautour).

If connections judge that the horse is enjoying it and is competitive, it is absolutely not down to anyone else to pontificate on what is right or wrong. There is no moral high ground here.

RIP both.

Huge shame but at least he delivered this year so spectacularly and they caught it before it developed into anything which could have resulted in worse than retirement.

Australian icon and winner of the 1992 Melbourne Cup, Subzero has been euthanised at the grand old age of 32. He had Red Rum-like status over there regularly making public appearances in his retirement.

Australian icon and winner of the 1992 Melbourne Cup, Subzero has been euthanised at the grand old age of 32. He had Red Rum-like status over there regularly making public appearances in his retirement.

He was regularly clambered all over by my fella’s son when he was about five or so - always gentle and always careful. Last year he taught Cameron Smith’s son that horses aren’t terrifying when they all went over, by licking him and stealing his sausage roll. A very special horse who’s effects go far deeper than just his wonderful racing career. Sleep well Subby - you were a better person than most humans - back with Graham now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Terrible news from Mick Easterby

I have some terribly sad news today about what has happened here overnight.

Poaching is rife at the moment in Bulmer and surrounding areas.

Last night at Mill House Farm, Bulmer, a herd of yearlings and their nanny horse, my wonderful 21 year old ex-racehorse Blue Spinnaker, forced their way out of a large field last night/this morning by pushing over a hung metal gate. Blue Spinnaker suffered horrific fatal injuries and a number of yearlings have been badly wounded. The horses were reported on the road this morning in a state of shock.

There are vehicle tracks in the field not belonging to us. Herds of horses generally do not panic in this way unless they feel threatened.

I have reported this to the police who will be coming to visit.

Poaching is a priority offence meaning you call 999 to report if you witness it in action.

The more they are reported the better response we will get; regular evening patrols. Poachers are unsavoury characters and can also be interested in farm contents (quad bikes/tools etc) so the more deterred they feel the better for everyone.

If you do see or suspect anything would you please report it.

Aramon is out for the season, which is very unfortunate. Winning the Galway Hurdle of a mark of 155 had put him in the picture for the Champion Hurdle. Commiserations to those on here who are connected.

Back