Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Len, you word your point as though there is something premeditated in breeders/humans coldly producing animals solely as remote a instrument of gratification. A bit like Romans turning slaves into gladiators so that the plebs can have bread and circuses.

I suspect from my reading and respecting of your contributions here for years that I am mistaking your meaning? Otherwise why would you watch racing and contribute to all the debates around the sport?

Last edited:
The “cruelty” of the sport to my mind lies in an equine life ending [sometimes in painful circumstances], because humans have decided to breed that horse as a means to service their entertainment. It is the human who takes ultimate responsiblity for that cruelty.

I think that’s an ott definition of cruelty. I define cruelty as intentionally causing pain and hardship. I don’t think involving horses in an activity where accidents may occur is cruel.

Yes, you’re both right, apologies. There is no *intention* to cause pain and distress to a horse (and, rightly, any horrified owner would take me to task on that), but we won’t deny that pain and distress will happen. And I know it is a minority of horses that will die on the racecourse.

I think I’m just sharing aloud my thoughts on my conflict with the sport; and it’s reading this thread over the past few days that has made me think again about a sport I do genuinely love. I love those horses from the comfort of my armchair and from the noise of the bookies, and physically wince when I see them suffer. I’m not sure I’ve fully worked it through, but thank you for addressing some of my conflicts.

He won the Whitbread pre Arkle Days....Could you be cofusing him with a rival of his King's Nephew? he was the Great Yorkshire Chase winner you may be thinking of?? The next year the brilliant Buonna Notte lost his life and was a very unlucky loser to Flying Wild a month earlier

The race has never been seen since..unless sommeone has it but most say he'd have beaten Arkle getting 20lbs out of sight that day had he not walk throgh the last

King's Nephew and Frenchman's Cove I am sure clashed several times
Finally figured it (Thanks to Wiki)
It was the Great Yorshire Chase at Donny, back in 1965, and won by King Of Diamonds. Guess Frenchman's Cove was an also ran - probably carrying my money.

Len, no apologies necessary since it’s how you feel. One thing that often strikes me is when many horses continue to race and jump after they have unshipped their rider. They can’t hate it if they continue, so perhaps they enjoy it, although these are human emotions that may not (or may) be shared with horses. It’s a shame we can’t ask them what they think of their lives and the racing!!

I remember reading of the bad press Arkle got when Dunkirk was fatally injured in 1965 King George VI Chase; anyone remember that as I was just born at the time .
Nichols Canyon's fatal injury at Leopardstown really shook me to the core.
Ruffian's leg fracture in the famous July 4th match with Foolish Pleasure in the mid 1970s was as bad a PR experience as horse racing got.
Questions that were asked then could ultimately be the death knell for horse racing .

I’ve only ever read about Ruffian: didn’t they make a film about her? Certainly wouldn’t want to watch that. That’s why I was so worried when the One Show made a big thing about McKelvey running in the National and got children involved too. When you spend a lot of time with horses you become very aware of how fragile they are. Most of the horses I’ve known, including my own, have been loved and adored throughout their life but have all met with an unpleasant end. When horses stopped being needed for war and transport they reinvented themselves. If it wasn’t for sport and leisure they wouldn’t have a purpose: the farmers I know have little time for them as they don’t contribute financially to farming. And I can’t imagine a world without them. So, sport and leisure it is I guess.

There are few things more distressing that seeing a double leg break. Only happened a handful of times in the times I've watched racing, but hard to go back enjoying it for a while. There does seem to be a few injuries at festivals where you forget about them getting swept up in the next race. Not sure if I ever found out if Maire Banrigh came back after last years arkle.

Because I was struggling with injuries and fatalities in NH races I turned my attention to long distance staying handicaps, especially The Ebor which I started going to each year until they changed it to a Saturday. And there was Nanton, walking round under the shadow of the trees in what was then the beautiful York pre parade ring. Being placed at the sort of price that should have resulted in me backing him, but didn’t. But I forgave him that and followed him for ages afterwards.

Back