Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

It's not nice and for people with no interest in racing, this will drive them further away.

For the equine people here, how long would a lethal injection take to have its effect.

In the interest of fairness, healthy animals are put to sleep daily in all aspects of life, this is just a heavy weapon to batter racing with.

Shooting is quicker and more humane in that situation IMO. I did have my own horse pts with injection and it was just as fast but he was very small. It would be something worth discussing with the racing vets you would think.

The pictures are horrid and the whole article is disgusting. I loathe the tabloids, they do this type of hatchet job on everything from racing to benefits.

It's so infuriating as we all know that the people in the yard/owners/trainers and even racegoers and fans love and care for these horses so much more than the animal aid and "journalists".

I don't agree though with the "racehorses have a better life" thing really, anything stabled more than 10 hours (even that) is not having a very good life, but many trainers are being better about turnout and feeding these days and that should be applauded.

Nx

l

Lethal injection (phenolbarbital) doesn't work as quickly or well when the horse has high adrenalin levels like during racing. Shooting with a captive bolt is much quicker and more humane in this situation. It's a horrible, sensational article and the photos serve no purpose on the front page.

On a more cheerful note log onto @RTEcountrywide twitter to hear a March 2009 interview featuring Oliver Brady and Colm Murray and a little aftertiming of Cheltenham festival tips. Great fun.

Tks Ed, really enjoyed that, real pity his horse ran out that day.

Haven't read the article Luke but was told the story by a friend a couple of weeks ago.

RIP to Palmer's friend.

Martin

Last edited:
Who will remember Kingman in ten years time.

loads of folk who follow racing i imagine..i can remember Pavement Artist from the late 70's who won a few..i'll bet many folk remember him if they followed racing then..hardly a superstar though

if you are talking about non racing folk..then none..same with Istabraq..no one knows who he is unless they follow racing

a bit like saying who will remember Denman..again..outside racing..no one

not sure what you are getting at really

Last edited:
What was his greatest acheivment-if he is Champion miler how does he compare to Champion milers for the last 30 years.

Was he involved in any memorable battles-did he win over a variety of distances-who was the best horse he defeated in victory.

Personally I believe connections are of the opinion he isn't the soundest and a 4yo campaign isn't a runner-maybe the sore throat story is a bit convenient-why wasn't the Breeders Cup considered.

i think the suggestion its convenient is not the case...then again maybe it is..in which case so was Harbinger;)..that was even more convenient...far more so than this..if you are of the suspicious leaning

if they were that cautious then Frankel would have stopped at 3yo too

Maybe - if he is remembered in 10 years time - someone will have let on what really happened in the Guineas?

Satelliteface -friend of Steve Palmer.
Was it natural causes?
I know he was only in his thirties and he died somewhere in Eastern Europe, but beyond that ............
R.I.P to the poor bloke, anyway.

Back