Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Quite useless on turf, but one of the greatest when switched to dirt by Bill Mott.
Cigar -- twice Horse-Of-The-Year -- dies at age 24.

Sadly, the old boy leaves no progeny having turned out to be a blank shooter.
(Still, the $25 million payout from the infertility insurance may have been some consolation to Allen Paulson and Coolmore). :)

Yes sad to hear about Spirit Son. Looked a Champion Hurdle winner in waiting.

:(
On a slightly less important note I do wonder from time to time how he would have got on in 2012 CH...I had him in an ante post double with Spirit at 10/1 and Sprinter Sacre at 10/1 :whistle:

Very sad indeed. I look forward to the Daily Mirror article highlighting the wonderful care he received after he got sick in 2012

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't wipe my arse with that paper.

:(
On a slightly less important note I do wonder from time to time how he would have got on in 2012 CH...I had him in an ante post double with Spirit at 10/1 and Sprinter Sacre at 10/1 :whistle:

I think you would have been collecting sir.

I'd heard "whispers" about this a few months ago, but could find nothing on the RP site or elsewhere. But the new edition of Chasers & Hurdlers has confirmed that the Challow winner Captain Cutter had to be put down some weeks after fracturing his pelvis at the Festival. Great shame, as he would have made a top-class chaser.

sensational line up

Truly was Granger and hard to believe that Al Ferof beat 3 of the classiest animals seen for a long time.

Both Spirit Son and Sprinter Sacre had the excuse they were still very weak and babyish.

What's harder to believe is Nicky Henderson actually thought more of Spirit Son than he did Sprinter Sacre at the time. Gawd only knows how good a hurdler he would have turned out to be.

And of course Cue card has proved to be way above average even if a bit quirky

Well to be fair to Coolmore they did pretty comprehensively explain the decision on the Morning Line today including showing photographs of the affected hoof and interviewing their farrier who had been treating him. Its unfortunate but these things happen. I am about to go out and dig some pus out of one of mine in the paddock after I found it hobbling round this morning.

Australia was a top class 12f horse - he should have run in the Arc and the run of Kingston Hill shows he would have gone very close .

I find Coolmore's obsession with trying to pretend their top 1m 4f horses are really speed horses with so much talent they can win over 12f i.e that they are all like Sir Ivor very odd . Galileo was clearly a brilliant middle distance horse and has been a spectacular success at stud despite his failures at shorter trips .

Australia would surely have had a much more enhanced reputation had he stuck to 1m 4f .

Last edited:
i wonder what the cynics will think

I think the sad part of the story is that they wanted to retire him at the end of his 3yo career.The injury seems to be genuine but what has he really achieved-if he is the best they have ever trained at Ballydoyle where is the standout performance for us all to remember.

My abiding memory of him will be getting beaten in a thriller off a Ryan Moore wonder ride.

Considering he is out of Ouija Board who did so much I feel we have been short changed with this horse.They looked after him as a 2yo and were careful with him as a 3yo.

Considering he is out of Ouija Board who did so much I feel we have been short changed with this horse.They looked after him as a 2yo and were careful with him as a 3yo.

Back