Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

I know nothing about horses conformation and stuff like that [wish I did] and I've never seen Australia in the flesh but seeing him on the telly he didn't look the most robust of horses [had to keep reminding myself of his parentage]. Hope those of you on here that do understand these things will give an opinion.

I know nothing about horses conformation and stuff like that [wish I did] and I've never seen Australia in the flesh but seeing him on the telly he didn't look the most robust of horses [had to keep reminding myself of his parentage]. Hope those of you on here that do understand these things will give an opinion.

Just for you, I dug out my catalogue to see what the yearling comments were. "very good walk, slightly base narrow, corker". He didnt strike me as fragile but suspensories are delicate and it's not worth risking him breaking down on the track.

Thanks for that. I'd give anything to be able to look at a horse and know how good it was. I'm envious of people who can!

Thanks for that. I'd give anything to be able to look at a horse and know how good it was. I'm envious of people who can!

Yes me too. When I sold my yearling a couple of guys looked at him long and hard before he went in the ring particularly his back legs. I would have liked to try and catch them after to ask what they wee looking at but it didn't work out, but the lady who foaled him, and knows her stuff about conformation etc., said there was nothing she would have spotted if she hadn't known him since the day he was born. We thought he was a really good walker too compared to some of the others his age. She had never been to a TB sale before and some which she thought were horrible were going for decent money and I was trying to explain why based on the pages in the catalogues. She just didn't get it at all based on taking the animals on face value appearance.

Australia on his Irish runs looked better at 2 than at 3 appearance wise from my memory.
I remember not thinking much of him either Irish Derby Day or Irish Champion day.
As my sister put it he looked tired with no real gloss in his coat.
For all that his race record was top class as every defeat could have so easily been a victory.
As the Coolmore man said this morning they are looking at six Epsom Derby winners in the one stud at the one time; unprecedented at any stage in history.
The notion that they were better over shorter trips is commercial gold.
That like both his parents he was beaten in Irish Champion should not be held against him but the gloss is taken from his revenue generating potential to the tune of possibly 20 million plus until his first crop prove their worth.
2000 Gns, Derby, Irish Derby, Juddmonte and Irish Champion is a fair schedule for any 3 year old. Call him unlucky in two (rightly or wrongly) and he is some horse by any standards. For what it is worth I believe Galileo would have won the 2000 Gns his year had he run in it. Having had just the one run at 2 ruled that out i Suppose.

Just seen that Olympic Glory has been retired with immediate effect - Im sure someone else can confirm that though.

What I've actually come on here to put up is today's horse of the year show seib racehorse to riding horse results.... Some names a few of you will recognise :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413112667.516663.jpg

Very odd that olympic Glory has been retired when another soft ground Champions day looks very likely .

Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures 2014

I only saw it in passing on my Facebook feed - the "with immediate effect" implies (to me) another one biting the dust due to an injury rather than any other reason? I don't know though.
That was hugely overshadowed by seeing Donna coming 6th at HOYS - I don't know if people remember, but it was her who's horsebox was involved in the accident on the M5 where her 3rd placed HOYS ex racer Steveys lad was killed last year. Hugely happy for her!!!!

Last edited:
Looks like we lost SIZING ITALY in the 440 @ Limerick - poss snapped leg on landing at fence before home turn :(

Captain Cee Bee to enjoy retirement at Martinstown. One of the very good all purpose horses to run in the last 10 years his career could have been different but the last fence fall in Leopardstown Dec 2009 upsides Sizing Europe. Clearly a top horse that enjoyed his racing. That he might enjoy his retirement also.

A horrible end for The Last Night at Kempton. This was a horse that appeared to have completely lost its confidence over fences, so I think it was a very disappointing decision by his connections to enter him in another chase. Poor horse deserved better.

Leading Lights racing career over with suspensory tears to both fore legs.

Charm Spirit retires initially to Tweenhills with a French season in 2016 on the agenda.

Grand Crus retired
That 2011 stayers was a fine battle but judging on his performances in the last year clearly just not enjoying the game anymore.

Grand Crus retired
That 2011 stayers was a fine battle but judging on his performances in the last year clearly just not enjoying the game anymore.

Hope he has a long and happy retirement, I think he's still quite a young horse isn't he?

Back