Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Some very historic after-timing from me & probably not the most appropriate thread, but I had a 50% share in the 3rd place entry that year Grassy...

We were the only list in the top 10 with Ad Hoc who went off near favourite for the National. It’s the only time I’ll probably sit down to watch race knowing the win was worth £180k+

He unseated Paul Carberry about 6 out

"Meade also conceded that 2014 Albert Barlett winner Very Wood's career is in severe doubt.
The seven-year-old has been absent since finishing well beaten in last season's National Hunt Chase at Cheltenham.
The trainer said: "He's not been with me for some time. He's damaged a joint that they have had awful problems with and I'm not sure he'll ever be right."

Bonnie Prince Blue was pts at his retirement home on Tuesday. He was 13 and had raced 11 times, winning 12 times, 2nd 12 times and third 18 times. He almost beat Tangerine Trees once at almost level weights and raced against horses such as Sole Power. I told his young owner who had taken him on when his previous owner couldn't keep any condition on him] that I would tell the racing world of his passing in the hope that those who saw him race [and there must be thousands] would remember him. He was very lame and the vet said his feet had probably taken too much racing. RIP Blue.

I am really sorry to read this (have replied on thread on Facebook). I know how upsetting it must be for you too. But at least he was well loved and they all did their best to try to help.

Thanks jinny.It's testament to how well treated he must have been throughout his racing life that he was so sweet natured.

Bonnie Prince Blue was pts at his retirement home on Tuesday. He was 13 and had raced 11 times, winning 12 times, 2nd 12 times and third 18 times. He almost beat Tangerine Trees once at almost level weights and raced against horses such as Sole Power. I told his young owner who had taken him on when his previous owner couldn't keep any condition on him] that I would tell the racing world of his passing in the hope that those who saw him race [and there must be thousands] would remember him. He was very lame and the vet said his feet had probably taken too much racing. RIP Blue.

Really sorry to hear this, commiserations to his owners and all who loved him.

I do remember him racing and in fact my great-auntie who at 95 still enjoys getting her bets put on on a Saturday used to always bet him when she saw he was running because she liked his name!

RIP Bonnie Prince Blue.

Sir Terry Wogan whose "Wogan's Wager " was a relic of 1970s BBC radio 2 where I used listen to the top races not televised in one channel Ireland.

I believe a horse called Wogans Wager ran at that time also so popular was the radio slot.

Rest In Peace.

Enda Bolger had this to say about Risk Of Thunder:

Bolger also rode Risk Of Thunder to many of his successes and said: “He was very special. Myself, Philip Fenton, Ken Whelan and JT McNamara all agree he was the best banks jumper any of us ever sat on. He was my last winner as I retired after the 1999 La Touche.”
(Irish Times)

Real shame about Captain Chris. A tremendous horse on his day.

Sad to hear about Suntiep too. The ride he got in the 4 miler still makes me ill.

Captain Chris was a terrific horse on his day - but one of the great engine not so sure about the chassis brigade .

Back