Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Yes; I always keep a list of horses that have placed in previous festivals and was surprised at how many didn't run the following year. What has been interesting has been reading the stewards reports that DG has posted; I do wonder how many of the horses that came back lame will be seen again. I'll never walk away from NH racing, as it has been an important part of my life since I was a child, but at times like this I do struggle with it. Feel very deflated today; rather hope the Skeltons will win the Midlands National to lift the spirits of the Skelton yard.

I lose track of years but not that long ago, around 9 horses were killed during the meeting and at least another 4 were put down shortly afterwards, and no idea how many never ran again, and there were no publicity about it, and I mean none, but Cheltenham never seems to create the same sort of 'outrage' or publicity that the Grand National meeting does even when the numbers there at lower.
Desperate for the Skeltons; fantastic scenes in the paddock/winners enclosure when Bridget won, Harry's reaction was a joy to watch. A friend has a horse with them, he told me this morning they are very deflated but relieved that Harry will be okay also obviously.

Last edited:
It's a very competitive meeting and unfortunately as we are taught since birth SPEED KILLS and they don't go much faster than they do round Cheltneham
All factors considered like how competitive each race is, the undulations, fence stiffness etc, it may well be the fastest jump racing in the world dangerwise

Since 1989 when they made most modifications to Aintree fences races have been run that bit faster and the deaths continue.

It's unacceptable but unfortunately has to be acceptable if racing is to go on.

I lose track of years but not that long ago, around 9 horses were killed during the meeting and at least another 4 were put down shortly afterwards, and no idea how many never ran again, and there were no publicity about it, and I mean none, but Cheltenham never seems to create the same sort of 'outrage' or publicity that the Grand National meeting does even when the numbers there at lower.
Desperate for the Skeltons; fantastic scenes in the paddock/winners enclosure when Bridget won, Harry's reaction was a joy to watch. A friend has a horse with them, he told me this morning they are very deflated but relieved that Harry will be okay also obviously.

I think that was 1998 and there was a lot of comment about the grass coverage before the meeting. I understood Cheltenham did take some steps after that.

Can’t see why they would have abandoned before the last. The ground was bad but not dangerously so.

I love horses and have been involved with racehorses since I was 14. But they’re working animals, and very well-treated ones at that. It’s a dangerous sport and fatalities happen. Getting sentimental about it just plays into the hands of Animal Aid and all the other nutters who want to see the end of racing.

Difficult to get the balance right, though. It also plays into the hands of Animal Aid etc if we're not seen to care about the horses. Trouble is, I go from being upset about the fatalities one minute to feeling annoyed when non racing facebook friends post things about horses just being commodities and being put down with the slightest injuries for economic reason. I've learned to keep quiet when that happens.

Can’t see why they would have abandoned before the last. The ground was bad but not dangerously so.

I love horses and have been involved with racehorses since I was 14. But they’re working animals, and very well-treated ones at that. It’s a dangerous sport and fatalities happen. Getting sentimental about it just plays into the hands of Animal Aid and all the other nutters who want to see the end of racing.

I am afraid that I disagree - the fall of North Hall Harvey appeared to be entirely due to the slippery nature of the churned up landing after the two earlier chases.

More recent than that as I wasn't really into jump racing then and wouldn't have noticed to be honest.

It was around the time that I was with Mike, so would have been 2011/12ish? I remember that one - didn’t we lose 4 or 5 on the first day? Horrible horrible time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure Cheltenham did take action after we lost so many at one festival. I think they have always had a policy of watering since that fatal year, just to ensure safe jumping and landing ground.

Last edited:
The BHA supposedly do look at every fall to determine cause and take any necessary action. As with any speed orientated sport there are going to be accidents (compare it to Formula 1) - unfortunately horses are relatively fragile and as yet we don't have the veterinary expertise available to mend every single one without it suffering further complications and distress.

The BHA supposedly do look at every fall to determine cause and take any necessary action. As with any speed orientated sport there are going to be accidents (compare it to Formula 1) - unfortunately horses are relatively fragile and as yet we don't have the veterinary expertise available to mend every single one without it suffering further complications and distress.

As proved with Barbaric

Predictive text or Freudian slip trudij! Either way Barbaric does apply, even though connections did what they did out of love for the horse. Also look at poor St Nicholas Abbey and Red. I do wish a lot of people I know understood how difficult it is to treat horses.

Predictive text or Freudian slip trudij! Either way Barbaric does apply, even though connections did what they did out of love for the horse. Also look at poor St Nicholas Abbey and Red. I do wish a lot of people I know understood how difficult it is to treat horses.

Neither - I renamed him - I’m not sure there was much love for the horse there at all.
( but that’s just my opinion)

It was around the time that I was with Mike, so would have been 2011/12ish? I remember that one - didn’t we lose 4 or 5 on the first day? Horrible horrible time.

Possibly, yes. There were at least 4 put down in the days following the end of the meeting that I was made aware of, so may have been more.

Pretty sure Cheltenham did take action after we lost so many at one festival. I think they have always had a policy of watering since that fatal year, just to ensure safe jumping and landing ground.

They changed something about the second last fence because there were so many falls there a few years ago. Not sure if that coincides with the year I am thinking of?

They changed something about the second last fence because there were so many falls there a few years ago. Not sure if that coincides with the year I am thinking of?

No - I think they moved the fence a bit after Granit Jack died at it - that was a year or so before...

Interesting that both Nico de B and Lizzie Kelly wondered whether the Grand Annual was the right race to have as the get out stakes ? I would promote the Martin Pipe up the card and return the County Hurdle to its traditional slot .

Interesting that both Nico de B and Lizzie Kelly wondered whether the Grand Annual was the right race to have as the get out stakes ? I would promote the Martin Pipe up the card and return the County Hurdle to its traditional slot .

Apparently, Alastair Down also calling for the Grand Annual to be moved.

Due to pumped up human emotion going into the last race (the jockeys that is) and a 2m hurdle race being safer than a chase under those conditions.

Due to pumped up human emotion going into the last race (the jockeys that is) and a 2m hurdle race being safer than a chase under those conditions.

Yes I don't remember jockeys riding madly when the County Hurdle was the last race of the meeting as it was traditionally until 2009.

Was dark in those days :lol:, they started at 5.50 if they were lucky, remember standing in front of the winners enclosure when Winnie The Witch came in, everyone else had gone home.

It's speed that kills and the number of runners is a contributory factor.

Totally unconnected with that, I'd make the bumper the last race.

Bumper used to be the last race, as I'm sure you know Archie, but it's bordering on a novelty race as it is and runs the risk of attracting little interest if moved to the very last. I'd imagine that's one of the reasons for the move in the first place.

I'd put the Gold Cup last personally. There's a real "after the lord mayor's show" feel about the course for the last three races on Friday at present and this would eliminate that immediately. I'm not sure what the chances of a low winter sun are in this month - as that would completely scupper the idea - but I don't ever recall it causing a problem with the County or Grand Annual.

Something quite fitting about saving the best to last as well - in an Arc type way.

Back