Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Anyone know what happened to the familiar green colours of Princess Haya of Jordan? Remember New Approach and plenty of other good ones, haven't spotted her colours for ages.

Last edited:
It was to do with when Godolphin had a bit of a re-jig a year or 2 back- New jockeys,horses with different trainers and princess Haya's horses running in her husbands colours.

Ditto from me.
One of the greats that first came to my attention when placed in the 4 year old hurdle Irish Hennessy Gold Cup day at 50/1.
Ran up against Binocular at two at Fontainebleu and has been a standard bearer ever since.
What a syndicate horse he was; congrats to all who had anything to do with him for keeping sound, genuine and genuine to the end.

The first time I remember noticing him was when Katie won on him at Cheltenham (I think anyway). Hope he has a long and happy retirement.

Calgary Bay PTS due to ongoing lameness issues after 18 months in retirement. Shame the old boy didn't get longer to enjoy a second career.

Seems Mukaynis who got his leg caught over the top of the stalls before the Portland had to be pts after being found to have broken a leg.

Al Ferof will be retired after racing in the Peterborough Chase whatever the result. John Hales has bought a replacement to be trained by Dan Skelton as well, a four year old from France called Captain Forez by Network the same sire as Sprinter Sacre. He was very impressive in his only run at Auteuil finishing a close second. He is a very big horse standing over seventeen hands so the stable will take plenty of time with him and he may only run three times this season.

I sincerely wish Al Ferof a safe passage at Huntingdon and a long, happy and healthy retirement. His victory in the Paddy Power Gold Cup remains my biggest-price ante-post winner.

Agree with Grassy and he’ll hopefully be retiring aged 11 after nine successful seasons

Mehmas owned by some of the richest people in the world is retiring aged 2 after one…

Any wonder so many of us prefer the winter game?

Look at him and you'll know why!

Not really. Most love a plodder :ninja:
I did actually see him Lockinge day at Newbury on my only flat racing visit of the year, but unfortunately backed the 2nd!

What is it that makes them want to retire him at the end of his 2yr old season? No scope to improve at 3? If it’s a commercial decision, then just feels weird that multi billionaire owners retire a near top class act, who’d probably give them lots of sport over the next few years, which is why I assume they’re in the game…

Back