Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

I know we're approaching the pinnacle of the NH season but 1992 Derby winner Dr Devious has passed away at Stud in Sardinia

Sounds like a great way to go to me but RIP, he was a smashing horse.

Had a huge win on him in the Derby as someone I worked with at the time knew 'someone' in PCHs, and had a large ( for me ) anti post bet on him. At least he had a decent innings.

I remember I had Dr D clear top rated in his Derby.

Did I back it?

Did I fvck.

The reason? It's sire was Ahonoora.

North Hill Harvey and Dresden. Really sour note to end the week on.

Sandsend in the County too.

RIP all.

Last edited:
I just caught the Grand Annual on RUK . The track looked appalling - BHA has announced an inquiry into the fatalities at the meeting . That ground looked unsafe and difficult not to attribute North Hill Harvey's fall to it at least - the poor horse jumped the fence well and slipped on landing and tried to recover his footing and suffered a fatal injury in the attempt .

Perhsps with hindsight but it appears that the big field in the Foxhunters had chewed it up horribly .

Let's hope we don't save such awful ground at the Festival again for a long time.

BBC reporting that Some Plan also a fatality - very serious questions to answer now as to why they did not abandon before the Grand Annual.

Bad week for fatalities
There are always fatalities at this meeting but they do not seem to attract the level of attention that those at other meetings do. It can take a few days for injuries sustained to come out which may be career ending for some also. A friend led up two today: one finished his race, one didn't (pulled up not fell) but both have come back with 'multiple cuts and are lame'. Fingers crossed for all that there are no more fatalities.

BBC reporting that Some Plan also a fatality - very serious questions to answer now as to why they did not abandon before the Grand Annual.

this is definitely a very valid question. surprised a few more trainers didnt pull horses out too. to be fair to giggi they did the right thing by the gamechanger and would respect trainers that pulled thier horses out.

harrington was interviewed pre grand annual and seemed to think ground was appalling. when you have that language before race and then 3 die in it, you invite this kind of coverage. think one of the late 1990s nationals was like that too, maybe the earth summit one when one of the horses sustained horrible sandsend like injuries.

another concern would be what it takes out of native river and might bite. that gold cup a few years back was brutal, dont think road to riches was ever same after and the toll on coneygree was obvious. djakadam must be tough horse. and the ground in that was nowhere near as demanding as today

id be very wary of following the front two in future as tough as they are.

There are always fatalities at this meeting but they do not seem to attract the level of attention that those at other meetings do. It can take a few days for injuries sustained to come out which may be career ending for some also. A friend led up two today: one finished his race, one didn't (pulled up not fell) but both have come back with 'multiple cuts and are lame'. Fingers crossed for all that there are no more fatalities.

Yes; I always keep a list of horses that have placed in previous festivals and was surprised at how many didn't run the following year. What has been interesting has been reading the stewards reports that DG has posted; I do wonder how many of the horses that came back lame will be seen again. I'll never walk away from NH racing, as it has been an important part of my life since I was a child, but at times like this I do struggle with it. Feel very deflated today; rather hope the Skeltons will win the Midlands National to lift the spirits of the Skelton yard.

Can't blame quick ground which is usually the stick they use. Personally think seeing horses run on bad ground looking exhausted looks very bad to anyone waatching in for the first time.

Back