Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Saint Are retired

Tom George

"He was a bit shook up and over-heated but, because most of the others were fine, at one stage there were 10 vets attending him. He's fine now. We'll find him a nice home."

Cue card. Shame for the people planning to go and see him at sandown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed. Had planned to go and see the old boy
Glad he gets out in one piece though and hope he has a long and happy retirement
Thanks for some great memories fella

Indeed. Had planned to go and see the old boy
Glad he gets out in one piece though and hope he has a long and happy retirement
Thanks for some great memories fella

Mind you, they do parade a lot of the champions there, so they will just chuck him in that I guess. Be a shame if he’s been injured - hopefully it’s just an “enough is enough and the ground is shit” decision

I suppose the day had to come. They can retire him knowing that he has been one of the very best and most popular horses of our era.

Wonderful horse over the years, I remember backing him when he won the Bumper, paid something silly like £80 on the tote!
Have a great retirement old chap.

Good old Cue Card.

An absolutely top-class chaser at his best, and a tremendous credit to his connections. I hope he has a very long and comfortable retirement.

Apparently they are planning on parading him there still so people will still get to see him. Wise decision as he hadn't worked very well and he's bowing out in one piece.

One of my favourite ever horses, loved him since he won the Champion bumper, he's been an amazing horse for his connections.

Great that he goes out in one piece and I hope he has a long and very happy retirement.

Happy retirement Cue Card.

Remember cheering him home with Grey in Ryanair Chase, commenting it was great to see him get his day in the sun.
The story was only starting then and glad we had so many years of cheering him on since.
Happy retirement Cue Card.

Glad in a way as think he has had enough and shouldn't be risked again. Last race at Ascot was great to watch and he got a tremendous reception when he came in. Likewise at Cheltenham in the parade ring before he went out.

Top old horse, should have bowed out last year but glad he's out in one piece.
Had a great career and will be remembered fondly. Whether he'd have won or not you don't know, and even though I wasn't on him that day, you can't help but feel sorry for him and connections coming down 3 out that day in the Gold Cup.

I actually feel quite sad typing this, he was a stalwart of the NH season.

Really sad we won't get to see him grace a racecourse again for one last crack - but happy for him and connections that he can hopefully enjoy a long and happy retirement.

Thanks to Cue Card, Paddy Brennan and the Tizzards for some absolutely unforgettable races.

Jessica Harrington
@Jessica_Racing
5m5 minutes ago
More
We are sad to announce Our Duke died this morning following his usual morning exercise. He suffered a massive heart attack. He is a great loss to the Cooper family & our team.
just awful

Back