Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Jardines' Lookout.jpg
Jardines Lookout - now at the Racehorse Sanctuary after owner couldn't look after him any more. Great to see he's still around - some great battles with Persian Punch- love these staying horses.

Jack The Giant :( saw his very first run as a 2 year old on the July course, where he really did look like a giant compared to the other runners. Loved that horse. Jack The Giant 2.JPG

Real sickener that is - had no chance either after plowing through the rail. Stunning horse.

Polished Steel and Youcannotbeserious succumbed to two horror falls too.

Willie's smart Eurotiep also listed by HRI yesterday.

The xcountry made for unpleasant viewing yesterday. 3 Horses slipped up on bends in the Tuesday race.

The ground was probably too firm as they can't water it like the main track. The stopgap solution yesterday was to put sand down at the bends, but even with that we had ballyboker bridge (one of the most experienced horses around the track) slipping up on the same bend that gave trouble on Tuesday.

I'd be a big fan of the xcountry, but I wonder if they would be better off not running them if they have such a dry spell and the ground ends up as firm as it has been this week.

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

What happened exactly to Some Neck? The form book says he "slipped up after last", which is on the course proper?

He was left tailed off by the mix-up when some of them took the wrong course, but kept going, and was almost back in touch with the main group two fences out. From there to the finish he was not in the tv picture.

Just read that Flintham did damage a tendon at Cheltenham the other day but, thanks to Lily pulling him up quickly he’ll be ok and will have a great retirement.

Awful, and they’d just had Iconic Belle win a five timer at Doncaster. Far too many injuries upon the flat these days. What is happening to cause it?

Faugheen, Douvan and Benie all retired.

Feel honoured to have been able to watch these 3 over the years, especially the the first 2. Faugheen was something special, his Champion Hurdle win was a top, top performance. Was also nice to be at Punchestown to see him win when stepped up to 3 miles for the first time.

Wish all of them a happy retirement.

Godolphin colt Master Of The Seas has suffered a setback and won't be able to line up in the St James's Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot.

Just read it and am trying to take it in. He was only 10 but it was as if he’d been around forever.

Saw elsewhere that Saint Are died following a heart attack during exercise on Saturday morning :(. He'd been doing well in his second career and had qualified for the final of the ROR show series at Hickstead.

RIP Saint Are

Saw elsewhere that Saint Are died following a heart attack during exercise on Saturday morning :(. He'd been doing well in his second career and had qualified for the final of the ROR show series at Hickstead.

RIP Saint Are

I tried to find this thread the other day so I could mention it. I’d been following him on his new career on Facebook and was so upset to hear that he’d died. Along with Swing Bill who also didn’t get the long retirement he deserved Saint Are was one of the poster boys of racing, the ultimate ‘garden horse’.

Lil Rockefeller after coming second in France today. Yet again I’m hoping I’ve misread/misunderstood something…(.read it again, heart attack after finishing second).

Last edited:
Back