Exercise

I crashed into a car today on my bike. Approaching a roundabout, the car in front slowed and I could see there was no traffic on the roundabout. So, I accelerated on the inside, expecting the car to pull away also. It didn't. The passenger opened his door to get out and I hit the door ful pelt. The point of the door caught me right in the chest and it was a few minutes before I could breathe normally. Even though, I went over the handlebars and landed on the pavement, the only injury is to my chest....bruised (or at the worst, cracked) ribs I think.

What I'm not sure of, is whose fault it was. Am I fully responsible for checking everything ahead is clear or should the car passenger be checking if its safe to open the door. I believe the site of the accident is a 'no stopping' zone so he shouldn't be alighting there anyway.

Ouch!

It sounds very stupid on behalf of the driver. There is no way for you to know the car was opening the doors as, even had he indicated, it could have been assumed he was turning at the roundabout.

MarkEE im really sorry but i cant stop laughing! :lol: i could just see it on You've been framed or something like that.

But seriously i hope you are ok.

Try it before criticising. Exercise surely must have something to do with breaking sweat. Try bowling fast without doing that. In fact, try bowling fast first before anything else.

Very few sporting activities take such a toll on the body as fast bowling, the impact on the joints and muscles is astonishing, up to 8 times the body weight of a fast bowler will be the impact on ankle, knee and spine

Very few sporting activities take such a toll on the body as fast bowling, the impact on the joints and muscles is astonishing, up to 8 times the body weight of a fast bowler will be the impact on ankle, knee and spine

Oh please. Ok no doubt it makes certain demands on the body but there are numerous sports that take much more toll.....swimming, tennis, distance running etc etc to name but a few.

Then you didn't bat for very long then. It doesn't take long to break sweat running at the best of times and running with essentially full body armour on makes you sweat more.

Galileo, I am not sure they take more toll on a particular part of the body than cricket.

No, i was totally shit at batting. But, i dunno, whenever exercise and cricket is mentioned in the same sentence i always think of Mike Gatting - it`s a word association thing i think.

Originally posted by Galileo@Jul 22 2006, 10:43 PM

Oh please. Ok no doubt it makes certain demands on the body but there are numerous sports that take much more toll.....swimming, tennis, distance running etc etc to name but a few.
Not to mention riding a racehorse!! I'd challenge anyone who thinks cricket takes more toll on the body to manage even 2f doing an easy canter with their jerks pulled up - never mind riding in a race! Riding horses, especially the pressures associated with riding short, racing style (along with ballet and other forms of dancing) is one of the most notorious sports for placing excess strains on the body & the joints in particular. Riders and dancers have a far higher incidence of developing complaints such as osteoarthritis not only in old age, but symptoms often develop in middle age due to the enormous strain placed on the joints - most noticably the hips, knees, ankles & lower spine. There is also a large percentage of riders (especially from race-riding) who require hip replacements in later life, or knee surgery. I have been told on several occasions by consultant orthopaedic surgeons that I have a very high risk of developing OA by middle age - indeed recent X-rays have already shown degeneration of vertebrae in my spine and I have been plagued with hip/knee/ankle/spine problems for many years already having not yet reached the age of 30; this is not uncommon amongst regular riders.

Throw in netball, which in Australia actually has the worst rate for ankle and knee injuries of any sport. I used to play netball from ages 6 to 15, but my knees started to flare up. Was not a happy munchkin, as I had been selected at representative level to play the sport. But unless I wanted a knee reconstruction at the age of 20+ I had to quit. It was a great workout though.

At the moment, as its winter, I just walk the dog for 30 mins every night around the neighbourhood. In the summer I go swimming in the pool in my backyard, or go to the beach and jog in the sand and then go for a half hour swim afterwards. Personally I find walking far better than wasting the amounts that some do on toning themselves in the gym. I have never understood the reasoning behind paying $100 a week in gym fees, when you can pay 1/3 of that on a pair of decent runners, and lose just as much weight walking, whilst being out in the fresh air.

Originally posted by krizon@Jul 23 2006, 12:19 AM
I am doing reps at the moment - sofa/fridge, fridge/sofa, sofa/fridge...
Krizon - quality. :lol:

Having played a lot of cricket myself representing the national stable lads cricket team, i do have to say that when batting in 2nd i sweat my boll*cks off! I couldnt say much about the bowlers cos i cant bowl for shit!

Nobody is stating that cricket takes more toll on the whole body, just the ankles, knees and spine. Hard to argue that one.

Hard to argue what? That cricket takes more toll on the ankles, knees & spine than any other sport? If that is the case then I agree with Gal - I can't have that in the slightest.

Really? I can't think of a sport where you put the equivalent of 8 times your body weight on your ankles and knees. Throwing your entire body forward isn't really done in any other sport. In athletics (hurdle races) the body weight is far more evenly distributed. It has to be to maintain momentum whereas in bowling, you pull up after about 5 strides. That is the only one I can think where the action is similar. Stress fractures of the ankle to the top players is a fact of life for cricketers and it isn't something we see anywhere else in sport.

I used to do exercise once. :D but unfortunately those days seem to be well in the past, and I feel about as fit as your average 70 year old.
I used to do a lot of running, which meant that I could eat almost whatever I wanted, then one day I severely injured my knee trying to leap about 6 stairs in one go, and the running had to stop for a long long time.
Since then the weight has piled on and I'm not fit enough to do enough exercise to burn it off, so every year I get a few pounds heavier.
If I was in my 20's I would push myself a bit harder and try to get fit again, but I feel that if I do that now I would have a bloody heart attack.
Then again, if I don't lose the weight I'll almost certainly have a heart attack, so either way, I'm ferked. :D

I'd still disagree with you there PDJ that cricket puts more pressure than any other sport on the ankles, knees & spine. There is an immense pressure put on those areas whilst race-riding or dancing [ballet], as I said previously. I'm sure there are many other sports that place similar amounts of pressure on those joints too.

I know a fair few riders and not nesscarily those involved in racing who have had to have knees operated on for damage to cartalige. I found running jarred my joints to much so gave up on that and I try to swim as much as I have time for its also more fun. Its much more handy when its hot as I can go and swim in the river. I dont have to pay and no swimming pool Ive ever been to has the currents of our river. Admittely I cant be that unfit as at work we ride between 6 and 10 horses a day and when the pointers are in its not unkown to ride 14. On top of that I was riding my eventers on an evening. Try sitting trot for 20mins and then you wont complain about riding short.

Many sports place repeated stress on a particulary area of the body and lead to so called impact injuries. Cricket is one such sport but I would challenge the notion that it is the most stressful. For example it is not uncommon for professional BMX racers in the states to wear knee braces as a preventative measure prior to injury.

Back