Fairyhouse Wednesday

Royal Bond Novice Hurdle
Forecast: Evens Zaidpour, 7/2 Perfect Smile, 4/1 Carloswayback, 7/1 The Shepherd King, 10/1 Pineau De Re, 25/1 Mount Helicon

Hatton's Grace Hurdle
5/4 Solwhit, 5/2 Hurricane Fly, 8/1 Voler La Vedette, 10/1 Oscar Dan Dan, 12/1 Donnas Palm, 16/1 Mourad, 20/1 Aitmatov, Jumbo Rio, 25/1 Summit Meeting, On The Way Out, 33/1 Powerstation

John Durkan
7/4 Tranquil Sea, 3/1 Cooldine, 5/1 J'y Vole, 8/1 Glencove Marina, 10/1 Roberto Goldback, 12/1 Vic Venturi, 16/1 Mossbank, 20/1 Coolcashin, Trafford Lad

Drinmore 5/4 Mikael D'haguenet, 5/1 Realt Dubh, Jessies Dream, 8/1 Head Of The Posse, 12/1 Bob Lingo, Bostons Angel, 16/1 Berties Dream, 20/1 Lucky William, Quito De La Roque, 50/1 Gold Cygnet

Hilly Way Chase
6/4 Golden Silver, 4/1 Osana, 9/2 Zaarito, 7/1 Scotsirish, 10/1 Let Yourself Go, 12/1 Kempes, 16/1 Carthalawn, 33/1 Royal Choice

Zaidpour must have a better chance of winning his race than Mikael his. His absence shouldn't be underestimated, and the recent bad weather can't help on that score. I'd much rather be a layer than a backer at that price, especially given the reservations I've expressed elsewhere.

You would love to know beforehand how fit exactly Hurriance Fly is, as the odds would not be like that come later in the season.

Agree about J'Y Vole, who I had backed each way at the Festival and thought her a little unlucky with all the barging. No reason she can't go one better this season.

Golden Silver is a very likeable horse but 6/4 seems slightly on the short side. However, not too sure I'd be backing anything against him at the odds either.

Lucan -> London -> Drumcondra

I also agree on J'y Vole. Tranquil Sea is not a punting proposition at those odds.

I will be taking Golden Silver on with the Murphy yolk. It's Monte Carlo or bust with him, but if he jumps, he is a classy bugger.

I think Voler was beaten by the slow pace the last day and 2m4f is her trip. She's not up to beating Solwhit and Hurricane Fly but I don't rate the others and will take 2/1 about her without.

Zaarito is a forgotten horse. Last year was just all wrong. It's a bit like Big Zeb in Sandown. One to be forgotten. His best race was behind Captain Cee Bee when he bowled along near the front and I think they'll ride him closer to the pace this season.

I like Quito. All chaser. Ignored hurdles a couple of times but it didn't stop him winning a decent novice handicap hurdle. Loves bottomless ground and he could run into a place if he jumps well but is def one for the future.

I think Voler was beaten by the slow pace the last day and 2m4f is her trip. She's not up to beating Solwhit and Hurricane Fly but I don't rate the others and will take 2/1 about her without.

Zaarito is a forgotten horse. Last year was just all wrong. It's a bit like Big Zeb in Sandown. One to be forgotten. His best race was behind Captain Cee Bee when he bowled along near the front and I think they'll ride him closer to the pace this season.

I like Quito. All chaser. Ignored hurdles a couple of times but it didn't stop him winning a decent novice handicap hurdle. Loves bottomless ground and he could run into a place if he jumps well but is def one for the future.

Interesting points - I was only winding you up, they all have some sort of chance.

It's fair to say though you with Colm's horses are similar to me with Arsenal!

2/1 Voler sounds about right.

Bar probably summed up Zaarito well - the bet with him is probably back in win market and place lay to cover you.

I'll have a look at that novice chaser then - I am against MdH but was hoping it would be the next 2 in the market who would do the business - ta.

How bottomless will the ground be?

Not sure. It was bad, tacky ground at Cork. Apparently they were only getting through the surface and underneath was frozen. So it won't be deep winter ground. But if it's tacky as frozen ground can be, then it will still take some getting. But some horses just don't go on that sort of ground.

It's fair to say though you with Colm's horses are similar to me with Arsenal!

I don't get blinded by them at all. I do feel I know more about them than most because I see them on the gallops every time I'm down. Just like Zeb last year when you said everything I was saying is in the papers. It ain't all in the papers and certainly the feel is not in the papers.

Anyway, the main event is the last when I fully expect Kimberlite King to be there at the finish. Robbie will be putting up overweight though so no point backing him in the morning I'd say as he will drift on betfair when the overweight is announced.

Can I ask you how you are rating the others though? J'y Vole probably ran better in the Ryanair than Tranquil Sea ever has, and Transquil Sea has done nothing since to make one think he should turn the tables. Now, I am not saying the Ryanair was his true running, but I don't believe he has shown the same level of form J'y vole did in March. And I say that as someone who backed them both that day.

That cheltenham run from her was on much better ground than she will face tomorrow and TS will strip plenty fit from the Clonmel Chase. He is the one that takes the beating in my opinion

Fair enough. For me, if I thought she was fit, I think she should be favourite. A word or 2 from Mullins before the racing tomorrow would be useful - I missed his column in the RP Sunday.

Tranquil Sea 3.15 on Betfair by the way.

Fair price all things considered. anyone any thoughts that Cooldine might be better at this trip?

I just want to see Cooldine finish his race tomorrow - I would try and put him right out the back and try and settle him to be finishing well close home with the Lexus in mind. Obviously put him in the race to win it tomorrow but it is not the be all and end all against some race fit rivals with the Lexus just a couple of weeks away.

Some interesting prices, albeit with little liquidity.

MdH 2.6 (bigger than I thought)
Golden Silver 1.95 (shorter)
Solwhit 2.16 (short, but not too far out - depends on HF's fitness)

If I were Mullins, I would be more than happy with good solid runs from Hurricane Fly, Mikael and Cooldine even if it resulted in defeat. I would be gutted if Zaidpour lost.

Just went back and looked at MdH's Cheltenham winner - reminded me just how classy the horse looked in that race and what a race it is turning out to be! Exciting to see him back.

Cannot see Zaidpour getting beaten tomorrow, looked seriously impressive last time out. I think Glencove Marina could be interesting in the Durkan, he always looked a horse of some ability.

JohnJ

Will be wading into Hurricane Fly tomorrow, have a feeling we will see something pretty special, can imagine hel be a lot shorter for the champion tomorrow evening.

Will also be backing Jessies Dream, Zaarito and Kimberlite King. Il have some combination bets with Hurricane Fly for starters and see how it goes from there.

Will be wading into Hurricane Fly tomorrow, have a feeling we will see something pretty special, can imagine hel be a lot shorter for the champion tomorrow evening.

Will also be backing Jessies Dream, Zaarito and Kimberlite King. Il have some combination bets with Hurricane Fly for starters and see how it goes from there.

See you are backing that falling machine again tomorrow Del!! Is that to complete or to win???:lol: Thats the horse who almost broke every punter in the country last year - worse than Anglo!! A fence makers dream!!

Last edited:
With W Mullins new all weather schooling track fully operational since the start of the season it would not be inconceivable for him to win all five big races up for decision tomorrow. Kimberlite would look to have a serious shout on paper - why the overweight C?????

Back