Fallon Case Collapses

Should we not also look at the blatant disregard for HRA rules displayed by Fallon (via the unregistered mobile phones) and Lynch (the medium of betting) that came out during the trial?

When Big Mac mentioned the article, the name Chris Cook rang a bell with me as asssociated with similar drivel in the past and I was right, you posted an article from him Colin on the JS from the rear thread on May 24th applauding him for it's content. Have you forgot? :laughing: He sounds a right clown :xmassnowgrin:

Dante, you have me there, I'm old and my memory isn't very good.

I remember the Jamie thread vaguely!!! :P but I don't remember quoting Chris Cook. I am rather taken with the idea that you remembered it though!!! :xmassign:

Please accept an old man's apologies, dearest.

Let's hope that B sample comes back positive.

I'd love to know what Honest Tom thinks of all this :suspect:

DO

i'm afraid that the sort of vindictiveness that you have displayed with that comment..is at the heart of the court case.

the hatred of an individual and actually having the power to try and destroy an individual is what all this has been about...those carrying it out care f*** all about racing.

this has not been a complicated issue..it's simply very hateful people with the power to carry out a witchhunt against their prey.

i'm really sad when i read people say they HATE someone they have never met...even sadder when that person has the full power to use that disgraceful attitude to try and destroy another human being.

i hope to God that Fallon sues them...they have tried to completely destroy the bloke...and have had verbal support from the same mentality within the punters ranks.

there must have been some very disappointed, sad minded individuals yesterday.

this whole case has not been a victory for anyone..particularly racing....but it has been a real victory against spiteful, evil minded hounders...that exist in every section of life.

those that seek to destroy another individual got their arses kicked yesterday

Originally posted by Dante@Dec 8 2007, 08:46 AM
Apparently, one of Colin Phillip's favourite racing journalists, Chris Cook in The Guardian blames everything on Betfair :laughing:
Did he? What he said (or my take on it) is that Betfair and it's much lauded audit trail hadn't succeeded in bringing about a successful prosecution (not really Betfair's responsibility) but that this will have damaged the exchange (through reputation), and to some extent vindicated non compliant high street bookies or other exchanges who aren't bound by the same memorandum of understanding. In many respects Betfair are also victims having trumpeted their procedures as a justification for their modus operandi, though to some extent in this case, they are also architects of their own demise, though not exclusievly so.

He does use the wording "Betfair are to blame" but only in the context that they supplied some spurious data. It's not as if any case (whether it be corporate fraud insider trading or tax evasion) doesn't generate huge amounts of complicated spurious data and testimony, and the onus is on the CPS to evaluate it accurately.

Betfair made a gaff in this respect, which was compounded by the CPSand CoL police who seemingly failed to understand what they were dealing with. This resulted inevitably in unsustainable evidence being presented. At one level the 'flagging' system worked, it's just that the prosecution didn't seem to understand what they had. It's possible of course that they did understand it? but that the enquiry had become clouded by Scotney's obssession by then? that can only remain a point of conjecture though - I don't know - but I do know then when you lose a sense of objective assessment, your judgement goes and mistakes follow.

It will be interesting to see how the WTA get on with Nicoli Davydenko, or UEFA with the 17 clubs recently reported for allegedly fixing European football matches. The biggest shock to me was the disclosure this morning that Lesley Graham is a Lawyer :eek: Mind you, I'm not sure she told me anything by way of insight, that I didn't know myself with regards to where Fallon et al stand. And her animated attempts to sound indignant just didn't look convincing to me. Could there possibly be a more friendly looking lawyer in the land? I'd want my lawyer to be a hard nosed, barstool.

I thought some of CH4 team (the usual industry sychophants - or should that be sychophant) were equally remiss in aspects of their dismissal of the witnesses. Or to be more precise, the reasons why certain witnesses wouldn't turn out for the prosecution. As it stands of course they're right, and the justification invoked, can't be challenged, and therefore has to be taken at prima facie (albeit through slightly gritted teeth). I think there's probably aspects of the traditional 'wall of silence' or 'non-compliance' that is hardly uncommon in a prosecution of various different natures. Essentially, a complicated web of mutual self-interests, not to mention old favours, friendships and understandings permeates the industry, and if one cherishes one's place (and livelihood in a lot of cases) to being an insider, there was always a fair chance that the prosecution was going to have to rely on outsiders to make their case, with all the atendent risks that it involved. At least McCrirrick had the honesty to say on Ch4 news last night that he'd certainly witnessed incidents on a race course that made him suspicious from time to time.

As regards the damage done? racing has always attracted more than it's fair share of inuendo and allegations, and it's largely unavoidable. It stretches back centuries to the hermits of Salisbury Plain, to the painting of a white blaze on the face of an older horse and entering it in the Derby etc. This is the last episode, and I'm equally sure they'll be future ones. I'm equally sure that if you fling enough muck, some sticks, and regardless of the judgement, a stain will never be far away from a sport which is intrinsically about money, sharp practice in outwitting opponents, and naturally vulnerable both in terms of the people it attracts and the scope it accords.

Remember OJ Simpson was found not guilty, and so is innocent and we have to accept that verdict. I'd be interested to know how many people really believe it though, and I fear that however innocent Fallon et al were judgeed to be, there will always be a sizeable section of people who want to, and therefore will, believe things to the contrary.

there will always be a sizeable section of people who want to, and therefore will, believe things to the contrary.

thats because many people harbour feelings of illogical jealousy and hatred...unfortunately some of these individuals hold jobs where they are allowed to ply their trade of spite...in this case..to the detriment of ALL concerned

the outcome has actually meant no winners...whereas a guilty verdict would have rewarded the persecutors...tough on them eh?

a guilty verdict would also have extended this thread by 10 pages..the Fallon haters out in force..lead no doubt by the ..virtually invisible at the moment...CliveX

Originally posted by DrizzleCity@Dec 7 2007, 01:49 PM
The only expert witness called was Australian racing steward Ray Murrihy, who admitted he was not an expert on British horseracing.

I can't believe they didn't give Shadz a call. :xmasrudolf:

Originally posted by tetley+Dec 8 2007, 11:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tetley @ Dec 8 2007, 11:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DrizzleCity@Dec 7 2007, 01:49 PM
The only expert witness called was Australian racing steward Ray Murrihy, who admitted he was not an expert on British horseracing.

I can't believe they didn't give Shadz a call. :xmasrudolf: [/b][/quote]
Now that would have been pure theatre;

"Ms Leader, would you tell the jury precisely just how many years you've been involved with racing? and whether this makes you more credible a judge of such matters, than say.... a photographer" :P

From Sporting Life:

Kieren Fallon has reportedly tested positive for a banned substance when riding in France this summer.

The Daily Mail has reported that Fallon failed a drug test within weeks of reacquiring his licence after he had been suspended for six months following a positive test at Chantilly in June 2006.

The French authorities will not administer a ban until the B sample returns from the authorities.

Fallon has had 29 rides in France since June 10. But the failed test did not occur at Longchamp's October meeting where he won the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe on Dylan Thomas.

A Coolmore spokesman told the Mail: "We are aware that the B sample has not yet confirmed the test. It did not occur at the Arc meeting."

Paul Struthers, spokesman for the British Horseracing Authority, declined to comment on the story.

"It's difficult for us to comment on it as it has occurred under the jurisdiction of another country," said Struthers.

"It really would be difficult for us to make any comment about it."

:D (Warbler)

EC1 - I have long been of the opinion that Fallon has failed to win many races in which he was riding the most likely winner. I've seen him make monumental mistakes - Ballinger Ridge was probably the most obvious one and it annoyed the sh*t out of me that this race was among those being questioned as it was an honest if incredibly amateurish mistake - but I've also seen him deliberately, in my opinion, lose races.

Seeing him on something I fancy is enough to make me think twice about following through with a bet and has been since long before the Top Cees case. If I do go through with the bet I never feel the same elation when the horse wins. This is no different to how I felt about convicted felon Lester Piggott.

The sport needs to clean itself of the cheating minority. Anyone who associates themselves with any person proven guilty of cheating risks tarnishing their own reputation, in my opinion.

In my opinion, Fallon has cheated on several occasions over the years and I do like his association with the sport.

Originally posted by Desert Orchid@Dec 8 2007, 10:28 AM
I'd love to know what Honest Tom thinks of all this :suspect:
DO, this result has all but sucked the last bit of enthusiasm I had for the game out of me. It's making me sick having to read posts from insiders and apologists welcoming back "the lads". They don't even see that the greed of "the lads" has harmed the game in any way as the cnuts actually believe they did nothing wrong and it's every insiders divine right to screw as much as they can out of the punters. With betfair about to launch sp betting, the potential rewards for corrupt practices may be about to increase markedly. That fact, the lessons learned from those who were caught and the slap on the wrist safety net will ensure that corruption will reach new heights.

At the moment I'm thinking of giving up the game altogether. I can but hope that racing gets what it deserves in the shape of an ever dwindling percentage of gambling turnover.

RUK reporting drug test failed when he was over riding MyBoyCharlie for the Morny. Everyone is now waiting on B sample.

If it is the same substance as the first time, will he not face a stiffer penalty (more than 6 months!) this time round?

If the B sample confirms it, then the guy despite his gifts, has a serious self-destruct mechanism.

I realise this is a horse racing forum, and that the discussion is bound to be viewed through the prism of how this case has affected the sport, but - for me - the good of the sport comes a million miles behind the thought of people being convicted of crimes they didn't commit.

Thank God the justice system worked eventually.

A right pig's ear's been made of an opportunity to have routed out any real wrongdoing - or to have clearly exonerated Fallon and his cohorts

On the contrary, Fallon has been completely and utterly exonerated.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Dec 8 2007, 02:26 PM
but - for me - the good of the sport comes a million miles behind the thought of people being convicted of crimes they didn't commit.

Thank God the justice system worked eventually.
In the big scheme of things I have to agree. Having once been on the receiving end of a malicious accusation which could have cost me my job, I know the pain and anxiety of the formal inquiry was superseded only by the relief - I could never call it joy - that the case was thrown out early in the investigation when the perpetrators eventually confessed they were acting out of malice.

We all know, however, that plenty of people are found not guilty of crimes they did commit.

he has indeed Gareth

lets say a person gets falsely accused of something...it goes to court and the case is so pathetic..it gets thrown out

that person is then viewed as guilty in the eyes of those who view this type of ending to a hearing??

a very strange way to view an outcome imho

We all know, however, that plenty of people are found not guilty of crimes they did commit.

That may be the case, but usually it's not down to the case being thrown out by the judge for lack of evidence.

What about the multiple murderer who evades justice for years, is eventually sent to trial and the case is thrown out for lack of evidence?

Back