Fancy A Share In A Jumper With Hen And Terry?

Bally Conn gets the better of the arguement in another tight finish in the lucky last at Exeter.

His new owners are already in profit. It's nice to see him do well but I wish we still had him. At least we can still follow him.

Last edited:
I know this is heresy to say this. I know. But with Oumeyade and Bally Conn winning today, was Jim Lewis right to move his horses from Henrietta? It is hard to see how it was nothing other than a smart decision. I know that she has a fantastic record and has steered her owners from this forum right on several occasions in the past. Sun Alliance wins etc. But maybe there was something in the yard or maybe the effort wasnt quite what it was 4 years ago.

I dont know. Just was wondering as I am simply stunned at the improvement made by Oumeyade since leaving Hen Knights. If it was Frank Berry or someone who trained the horse previoulsy I wouldnt have been surprised but the horse looks lthe best Novice in training at the moment, where a year ago, I would have thought that a mid range handicapper at best.

I know this is heresy to say this. I know. But with Oumeyade and Bally Conn winning today, was Jim Lewis right to move his horses from Henrietta? It is hard to see how it was nothing other than a smart decision. I know that she has a fantastic record and has steered her owners from this forum right on several occasions in the past. Sun Alliance wins etc. But maybe there was something in the yard or maybe the effort wasnt quite what it was 4 years ago.

I dont know. Just was wondering as I am simply stunned at the improvement made by Oumeyade since leaving Hen Knights. If it was Frank Berry or someone who trained the horse previoulsy I wouldnt have been surprised but the horse looks lthe best Novice in training at the moment, where a year ago, I would have thought that a mid range handicapper at best.

I'm inclined to agree I'm afraid - FWIW my personal opinion is that for whatever reason, Hen's not in it heart and soul anymore. Either that or she has some long standing virus or something affecting the wellbeing of her horses - although that said, they do always look very well.

I'm with Grey also - although there is nothing that makes me especially think that the horse would have been winning for us had he stayed put, unfortunately. Maybe the three of us should've bought him instead and moved him!! :D

Of course it's slightly a case of mixed feelings to see him running so well now but fair play to Martin Hill - he seems a nice bloke who was only too happy to talk to me at Wincanton having mentioned I used to have a share in him. In fairness to Martin, Conor looks fantastic and looks far stronger, he's muscled up considerably.

I couldn't watch the race unfortunately but I was told that he won the race with a ton in hand and was only idling in front - so I'm not so sure that I'd be quick to agree with any claim the jockey won the race for him.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with the idea that he was idling in front and won easily enough. Unlike at Wincanton, he did show a hint of doggish tendencies possibly a circuit or so out when he hit a flat spot and needed a smack or two to prevent him from tailing himself off (something with which we becamse quite familiar!!)

Whatever Martin Hill has done to him, he's doing the trick at the moment, clearly!

Regardless of the finish he really came back on the bit strongly after looking in trouble. Was very impressive. Will they go back chasing?

I've no idea, Gearoid. Be interesting if he has a bit more courage over the fences than he did with us - of course it could also be that the wind op worked which is helping him travel more strongly, go through with his effort and thus helping his confidence.

...and yes, you're right - he cut through the field very, very impressively, travelling like a train.

he did show a hint of doggish tendencies possibly a circuit or so out when he hit a flat spot and needed a smack or two to prevent him from tailing himself off

Yes, until now it has been a bad sign to see him out the back in a race. Don't know why they went for a change of tactics today, I prefer to see him in the van.

I'm inclined to agree I'm afraid - FWIW my personal opinion is that for whatever reason, Hen's not in it heart and soul anymore. Either that or she has some long standing virus or something affecting the wellbeing of her horses - although that said, they do always look very well.

It's gutsy of Shadow to be saying such things, it's not easy to utter out loud difficult thoughts that other people might be thinking under the peaks of their caps but prefer to keep to themselves. Hen's yard is definitely going through a bad time. Nothing would please me more than to see a revival but at the moment her horses are right out of form.

It was fascinating to watch wasn't it - first circuit there he was out the back and not looking very interested, and I expect we all thought "Uh oh, here we go again" - then suddenly he's picking them off with ease and looking really determined to get to the front! Frustrating creature indeed!!

Someone in the room with me watching remarked that Hen doesn't seem to be getting them quite fit, especially the last couple of years. Who knows what difference staff changes, changes in diet etc might have made, but it can't just be the calibre of horse she is getting

You used to be able to more or less back hers for a place 4/5 years ago, and be pretty certain to get a return. Something is definitely not right any more. Someone once did tell me one reason why the yard has ups and downs, but I'm not putting it up here - esp as the source may not be reliable!

I agree with you Grey that I would much rather see him ridden handy - he seems much happier that way and was when Bernie rode him so.

I dunno about gutsy, it's uncomfortable to come out with but things aren't going well at all for Hen at the moment. I too would love to see her getting back to the good times, she and Terry are lovely people who do their best for the horses, who live in a lovely yard and always look healthy, happy animals.

I'm not so sure about the fitness angle tbh, they seem to do plenty of work and up Hen's gallops they'd have to be getting pretty fit anyway - it's long and uphill.

As I pointed out earlier this year - his point form is very strong. The horse he beat (i think) in that was the Champion Female Hunter Chaser in Ireland for 2007/8 - Aboo Hom (spelt badly).

As I pointed out earlier this year - his point form is very strong. The horse he beat (i think) in that was the Champion Female Hunter Chaser in Ireland for 2007/8 - Aboo Hom (spelt badly).

...if it's so strong, why'd he run like a hairy yak [on every run bar his debut bumper] for us then?!?!?! :confused:

Back