Festival Previews

Thanks very much for these DG.

As for the question, does anybody pay any attention to these ?, I'd say the answer is probably not given that I've yet to hear a connection at one say "Well to be honest, we're just trying to avoid coming last"

but they make for great reading, at a time when the all consuming festival has prevented any chance of a normal, rational thinking lifestyle and as such we simply can't read too many articles about it. And surely cherish the moments when some previously-unknown-to-us hack confirms our long term AP wager on a 40/1 yolk in the Coral Cup.

We are aiming to hold our preview night on here Sunday the 9th at 9pm. The reason for the later than usual start is because people with kids struggle to get on at 7 and theres a top gear special on at 8 which is likely to pull quite a few away from the forum. If thats ok with most thats the time we are aiming for.

For anyone into there previews there a live one from armagh hotel at 8pm speakers include T. Martin. B Cooper , S.Crawford and the one and only O Brady.

www.toals.co.uk

Thanks for the link, Brian. Unfortunately neither Mr Cooper nor Mr Brady were present. Another Oliver, Andrew Oliver, was there instead and had done his homework, and Stuart Crawford and Tony Martin had some interesting things to say (when you could hear them) but it was a bit dour without the bold Oliver.

Thanks for the link, Brian. Unfortunately neither Mr Cooper nor Mr Brady were present. Another Oliver, Andrew Oliver, was there instead and had done his homework, and Stuart Crawford and Tony Martin had some interesting things to say (when you could hear them) but it was a bit dour without the bold Oliver.

Yes Art ,it was dour, Cooper cried off in the morning due to work , don't know what happened Olly. When I seen Benny Teirney on the panel I nearly choked laughing , he,s a good lad but his NH knowledge is nowt. I paused it and went through it in 20 mins later. I cant believe Martin is so bullish on his bumper runner, I am I missing something?

We are aiming to hold our preview night on here Sunday the 9th at 9pm. The reason for the later than usual start is because people with kids struggle to get on at 7 and theres a top gear special on at 8 which is likely to pull quite a few away from the forum. If thats ok with most thats the time we are aiming for.

Won't that clash with the official preview from the course though ?

It was broadcast live on t'interweb last year and I've heard it will be again this.

Yes Art ,it was dour, Cooper cried off in the morning due to work , don't know what happened Olly. When I seen Benny Teirney on the panel I nearly choked laughing , he,s a good lad but his NH knowledge is nowt. I paused it and went through it in 20 mins later. I cant believe Martin is so bullish on his bumper runner, I am I missing something?

Brian who was the MC? He was particularly dour.

Won't that clash with the official preview from the course though ?

It was broadcast live on t'interweb last year and I've heard it will be again this.

From what I was told Ladbrokes are sponsoring it this year and arent streaming it, I cant find any mention of it anywhere, do you have a link to any sources with any details please?

From what I was told Ladbrokes are sponsoring it this year and arent streaming it, I cant find any mention of it anywhere, do you have a link to any sources with any details please?

No,afraid not and it may have been incorrect but was along the lines of "we broadcast it live last year and hope to do something similar this year" but can't remember where I read it.

Sounds like it won't be available then.

I believe it was olbg last year. If i find out its being streamed i may be able to set it up where our chat box and the stream are running alongside each other, so best of both worlds :-D it will kill the forum for an hour or two but no one uses it when the chatbox is active anyway :-)

Sent from my 02_jbla668 using Tapatalk

I believe it was olbg last year. If i find out its being streamed i may be able to set it up where our chat box and the stream are running alongside each other, so best of both worlds :-D it will kill the forum for an hour or two but no one uses it when the chatbox is active anyway :-)

It was Ladbrokes last year too. As they did a load of offers. (Bob's Worth 4-1 to a max of £50, just giving out £200 gift vouchers!!!!)
I'm sure Alan Lee of the Times said on Sunday forum that he was on the panel and it was being streamed again

May be a stupid question, but how do I access the chatbox?

May be a stupid question, but how do I access the chatbox?

Its not a stupid question, we only open it once or twice a year, for various reasons.

There would have to be mods on 24/7.
Its very server intensive, and the running costs would go through the roof.
The forum doesn't get used as everyone just chats.

One more thing to remember, if using tapatalk you will have to use the website not tapatalk, tapatalk not only strips the ads out, its strips pretty much everything else out too.

Last years is here if you want a look

http://www.talkinghorses.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=18751&highlight=preview

I think that there's gonna be a lot more posters this time round. I for one have a few gems in store. Maybe a big shock for a those on here who have me down as an idiot.

Last edited:
Its not a stupid question, we only open it once or twice a year, for various reasons.

There would have to be mods on 24/7.
Its very server intensive, and the running costs would go through the roof.
The forum doesn't get used as everyone just chats.

One more thing to remember, if using tapatalk you will have to use the website not tapatalk, tapatalk not only strips the ads out, its strips pretty much everything else out too.

Last years is here if you want a look

http://www.talkinghorses.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=18751&highlight=preview

Nice, cheers for that. Thought I was going mad when I couldn't see a link anywhere haha.

Last edited:
Three more reports :ninja:

First report from David Parry ( ex Neigh)

Headline McCain states at Bangor preview Diamond King had slight setback & struggling to get him ready in time for Neptune. Likely waits for Aintree

Panel

Darren Owen DO
Donald McCain DM
Stewart Machin SM
Paul Jones PJ
John Morris JM
Andy Holding AH

Supreme

PJ not fancy Irving does like Wicklow brave.
AH Irving worthy fav but Wicklow Brave fastest.
SM Vautour strongest stayer.
JM likes WB too.
Don Mc completes the set....Wicklow brave

Arkle :

SM Dodging Bullets hard race last time. Champagne fever Chelt form the best
AH on Arkle champagne fever to beat but Hinterland a great alt on a speed comparison with sire de grugy. Valdez done nothing wrong.
DMc champ fever and dodging bullets the only ones to consider.
John Morris Cham Fever respected but Charles Byrnes Trifolium worth looking at.
PJ : Cham fever too tight a price. Not fancy Dodg bullets

Champ Hurdle

SM My Tent the horse. the fly not solid, new one hurdling a worry.
AH . On soft the fly, MTOY on good, in de screams nowhere
DMc knows how good the fly had to be to beat peddlers that day...will have taken a while to get over it but it was GOOD.

Neptune Novices
AH Faugheen impressive on numbers . Handles any ground. Good cruising speed, jumps well BUT red Sherlock best bet of meet
SM double figure fancy Deputy Dan
John Morris loves Faugheen for Neptune
DM fancies un temp pour tout

RSA
DMc Corrin Wood improving horse. Positive. Smad Place the opposition.
PJ RSA morning assembly

Champion Chase
AH mad keen on Hinterland with a run. 16s.
DMc likes Sire de Grugy.

JLT

JM fancies DJackAdam
DMc each way on Don Cossack
PJ and AH like Sizing Gold.
PJ does not fancy Tarquin de Seoul.
No one fancies Cscar Whiskey.

World Hurdle.

Paul Jones.....Annie power wins. To beat her something has to run to 170+ .
Andy Holding...will Annie get trip? Is Big Bucks finished? Primed for upset. More of That the pick.
Andy Holding : Mahler Beach on soft at 50s is huge in world hurdle
DMc ...no problem with Big Bucks, he should win.

Triumph Hurdle
Paul Jones owns share in Rutherglen . Horse up to 135. Forced to run in Triumph. Outside chance.

Albert Bartlett :
PJ front free in mkt tough to beat but Apache Jack full bro to black jack ketchup decent chance at 25s.
SM likes Urban hymn at price 16s,place prospects.
AH thinks urban hymn is 2016 gold cup horse.For this tho, captain cutter and kings palace

Gold Cup
DMc loves Bobs Worth for this. " sticks his chin out when it matters".
JM agrees.
SM loves Bobs Worth too. Haydock run to be dismissed. Leopardstown the form. If you beat Bob, you'll deserve it.
Stewart Machin. Worst possible result for racing plc is Last Instalment .
AH....Bobs Worth is everything you want in a NH horse.
PJ worried about Silvi Conti jumping so very much a Bob man. Rocky Creek each way.

Handicaps .

PJ Sailors Warn in the county hurdle 33s if he gets in. On the Fringe for fox hunters ( I know it's not a handicap)
DMc Indian Fringe slick jumper. Runs in Kim Muir. Derek O'Connor rides.
DMc : Disport (?) good horse. Doyley Carte each way for mares race. Cinders may run in county but got lots of problems but equal ability. Ok
DMc Overturn trotting away. Cantering next week. Had a hard career but loves being a race horse. Chester Cup?!
JM bumper ....Black Hercules.
SM Wirehead in coral cup. Goodwood Mirage in Fred Winter on better ground in strong run race. Cost400k
Zero Shades of grey big powerful horse to outrun his price in a handicap....according to SM

================================================

Dublin Racing Club preview

Panel

Tony Martin
Robbie McNamara
Johnny Ward
Anderew Ward

Supreme
Andrew Moore goes for Vautour. J
ohnny Ward and Robbie McNamara go for Valseur Lido.
AM agrees that he is the value.

Arkle
No real consensus on the Arkle. Positive words for Trifolium from RM and Rock on Ruby is the class angle if he gets his jumping together.

The Champion Hurdle

Just in time Tony Martin has arrived!
Johnny Ward with a big call. Expects Our Conor to turn the form with Hurricane Fly.
Tony Martin agrees. "He will have been trained for this. He should improve 2 or 3 lengths."
TM, JW - Our Conor RM - The Fly (Sole bit of love for the Fly!)
AM - Jezki E/W

Neptune
RM comes straight out of the gate and makes Faugheen his NAP of the festival. Ridden against him and in work. Machine.
TM very sweet on Rathvinden. Can't see him out of the places. AM and JW both agree.
JW - "Not certain Faugheen runs in this."

RSA.
Irish horses all beating each other. Ballycasey got a soft lead in Leopardstown. Hard to have a strong view.

Champion Chase
Now for The Worst Champion Chase Ever!
RM can't see many faults with SDG.
AM agrees but they will have to take him on.
@CassStephen trying his best to get TM to run Benneficient. TM says won't run.
JW can't see a bet.

Bumper

TM bullish on Gollintilla. Needed the run last day. Better ground will help. Not out of first three.
RM - If ground is soft would ride Vigil. Otherwise Silver Concorde. If he stays nothing else will beat him. Would win listed race over 12f.
JW going against the grain and going for an English horse. If Modus was trained here he'd be a lot shorter.
RM gives a very positive word for Value at Risk. Heard Richard Hughes rides.

JLT

JW very bullish about Felix Yonger. If ground is good he wins as he likes.
RM agrees.
TM very sweet on Oscar Whiskey.
AM agrees but sides with Felix. All about the ground.

Ryanair

TM obviously starts. Ideal race for Benneficient. Won't run if ground is heavy. Hot race but hopeful.
AM quotes C&D form for him.
JW thinks First Lieutenant deserves his place in market. Between him and Beneficient. Edging toward TM's horse.
RM thinks Hidden Cyclone is the bet. Much better left handed.

World Hurdle.
AM - Keeping Annie on side. Very tough for Bucks. Annie could go off 6/4. Zarkander e/w out of Nichols horses. Annie Power is the bet.
JW thinks Annie is an "All Ireland Price". Absolute machine. NRNB 5/2 Fill your boots.
Massive Annie Power love in. RM throws a curve ball and puts up Mount Benbulben. Doesn't like fences. Big price for a place.
TM throws in More of That. AM talks about how much of a farce the mares race is. Quevega should have won a World Hurdle.

Triumph.
TM thinks Le Rocher is the bet of the festival. @CassStephen tries to talk about stats. TM having none of it!
JW - Broughton one for him.
Intrigued by TM's banker.
RM also weighs in behind Le Rocher. Irish have no chance!
AM would be worried about Le Rocher being over the top. Would be very much with Calipto.
RM says Geraghty very sweet on Royal Irish.

Albert Bartlett
JW not sure Briar Hill will be able to pick up Kings Palace. Holes in Briar Hills form.
TM - Further BH goes more he'll come on the bridle. Sprinted up the hill last year. Very sweet on him.
RM - Briar Hill hasn't raced against anything like Kings Palace. 3m an issue. Kings Palace the one.

Gold Cup
RM - Lat Installment I jumped fences for sport last day. If any improvement and ground is easy he'll get into a lovely rhythm and nothing will beat him.
JW loves LI. Bobs Worth one to beat but if LI gets into rhythm he'll be very hard to pass. If LI wins it'll be sporing fairytale.
AM saying Captain Chris is biggest loser. Bewildered with people backing him. Bobs Worth one to beat after Lexus.
TM doesn't care what ground is. If Last Instalment runs he wins. Big Call!

Handicaps
AM - Handicaps. Colour Squadron in Byrne Group Plate. Pendra in Novice on first day.
JW - Whatever Renetti runs in.
TM - Sraid Padraig. If he runs it'll be 3m on first day.
RM - Tammy's Hill NRNB Lump On!
TM - Vitrix Gale in the Kim Muir. Has a right chance. E/W bet of the festival!
TM says Thomas Edison is a fair horse. Isn't giving much away.... AM mentions he is only entered in County Hurdle. "Few pound E/W".
When asked about value bets both TM & RM were very bullish about Star Neuville in the Cross Country.

================================================

The Waterford Cheltenham Preview

Panel is made up of
John Francome,
Corky Brown (Nicky Henderson Head Lad)
Tom Segal,
Davy Russell,
Jim McGrath,
Jessica Harrington,
Nick Luck,
Haley O'Connor,
Noel O'Brien
and Mick Fitz

Please credit tweets of @Emmet_Kennedy

Supreme

Corky talks up Josses Hill for the Supreme. Mentions Vaniteux who Russell says would be a cert for the Martin Pipe.
Segal likes Wicklow Brave.
Russell says Valseur Lido is an exceptional horse but likes Wicklow Brave. Takes on Vautour.
He rides Western Boy
McGrath very negative on Irving.
Harrington spoofs about Mullins horses. But does say Barry really likes Josses Hill
Nick Luck highlights the strength of Pipes contenders but would be surprised if Vautour didn't win.
Nick says Ruby was delighted with Vautour LTO. Russell says "Ruby was delighted because he got an easy lead!"
John Francome labels Russell a "TART" for highlighting @PaddyPowerShops are non runner no bet on the Supreme!
Noel O'Brien really like Gilgamboa Tom Segal jumps on this and recommends backing him @ 25/1
Corky gives a strong mention for Josses Hill. Says he will improve a lot. Francome pushes him to say he's better that Royal Boy
Francome asks Corky "How's Sprinter Sacre? Has he been over to JP's... is he going to run?!" Audience bursts out laughing!
Josses Hill, Wicklow Brave and Vautour get the most positive mentions.
Russell asks NOB "what's Valseur Lido rated?" 139 "Not good enough"

Arkle
Russell says Trifolium is the best horse to jump a fence that he has ever say on. Doesn't think English are good enough.
Russell thinks it's between Trifolium and Champagne Fever.
McGrath and Segal very strong on Trifolium "Best horse in the race"
Mick Fitz says CF is the one to beat but like Rock On Ruby.
But @nickluck says Harry Fry has said he's difficult to train.
McGrath and Russell are very negative on Rock On Ruby.
McGrath suggests he should have stayed Hurdling.
Noel O'Brien says Trifolium is the best horse in the race
Russell with a STAT ATTACK "The highest rated Hurdler always wins the Arkle" "Except when they fall!" says Francombe
Corky is clutching at straws, talking up Grandouet.
Harrington & Francome are strong on Champagne Fever.
Russell talks up Trifolium again.
Francome "You'll be saying Thank **** you got that sack last Christmas when he faces that hill!" #NoChance

Champion Hurdle
Francome says Hurricane Fly is amazing.
He asks Harrington is Jezki is a Pacemaker for MTOY! He says MTOY is better than TNO.
Corky talks up MTOY. Very sweet on him but is concerned about the pace. Francome "we just told you Jezki is a pacemaker!"
Hayley says the time of last years Triumph was slow. Francome "did the owner pay a million quid because he said '**** me that's slow'!
Davy Russell says Hurricane Fly is a superstar. Can't understand why is not shown the same respect as Istabraq.
@nickluck says "Davy you know Hurricane Fly well, having ridden against him so many time" "Yeah, looking at his hole!" - Russell #Cheltenham
Davy drops a BOMBSHELL! He takes on Hurricane Fly!
Davy shakes his head after Jim McGrath says Annie Power should run in, and will win, the World Hurdle. "Best since Dawn Run".
Davy Russell drops another BOMBSHELL He says "IMO Annie Power either runs in the Champion or will wait for Punchestown". #Cheltenham
Davy says UDS is a non-runner and will win the Arkle next year #Cheltenham
Harrington says if Annie Power was hers, she would run in the Champion Hurdle.
I'm sitting beside Henry De Bromhead who says Ricci told him he wants to run Annie Power in the Champion.
Noel O'Brien suggests Big Bucks current form means Willie could be tempted to go for the @Ladbrokes WH. "I think she could win". #Cheltenham
Mick Fitz "Hurricane Fly is a Legend and will win his third Champion. AP will run in the WH and will win".
CH Tips:
Francome - MR
Corky - MTOY
Segal - AP or TNO
Russell - OC or TNO
McGrath - MR
Harrington - Fly
Luck - Jezki
NOB - Fly
Fitz - Fly

Neptune
Segal likes Red Sherlock, but talks up Royal Boy. Corky tips yet another Hendo Horse Francome "that's four Henderson winners so far!".
Russell really likes Red Sherlock. McGrath thinks he had a hard race LTO and sees that as a negative. He talks up Briar Hill.

RSA

@nickluck is not really a fan of anything but Smad Place is a fair price. NOB likes Ballycasey "Top rated". Carlingford Lough e/w
Fitz thinks the Irish dominate. Likes Carlingford Lough. Says Smad Place is best of the English. Harrington like CL.
Russell rides Morning Assembly and is really looking forward to him. Says Carlingford Lough is the biggest danger.
McGrath goes for Morning Assembly and Russell says he worked well yesterday "Jumped the best he ever has".

Champion Chase

Francome - "Big test for Jamie Moore. Special horse. Like to see him win".
Corky says it took 7 weeks to get Captain Conan back after the Tingle Creek. Had a back injury. Likes him.
Tom Segal - "Don't tell me... Corky likes Nicky's horse and John is on the favourite!"
Henry says Sizing Europe and Special Tiara are in good form. Russell rides ST.
Segal says SE has a big chance in an awful race.
McGrath says The favourite doesn't set a high standard. Tips Sizing Europe @ 12/1 with @LadsNags
Harrington says Barry is keen on Captain Conan. Likes Sizing Europe.
Nick goes for Captain Conan "Corky has told us he's working well".
Corky is mad about Captain Conan.

Bumper
Gleeson - "who will win the Bumper Davy?" Russell - "Ireland!"
Bumper - @nickluck says Seven Nation Army is rated very highly by David Pipe and is a bet @ 25/1 with @LadsNags
McGrath "Not one horse in the race is within 10lbs of the last five winners of the Champion Bumper." Davy says that's a load of nonsense.
Russell - "How did Killultagh Vic hammer last years 3rd Golantilla LTO so?" McGrath silenced.

Ryanair
McGrath is very sweet on Dynaste for the Ryanair.
@nickluck agrees "he's the most likely winner".
Francome, Segal, McGrath and @nickluck all go for Dyanste
@hayleyladbrokes, Fitz go for Benefficient
For the first time tonight Corky tips a non Henderson Horse! He goes for First Lieutenant as does Davy Russell.

World Hurdle
@nickluck says JP will win the WH but with what? "It's a hard choice for AP. They are an incredibly potent duo". Negative Annie Power for WH.
McGrath is very negative on Big Bucks. Says STD showed immaturity on TNO at Kempton and BB at #Cheltenham
Standby for a Russell BOMBSHELL. Russell asks if Ruby would get the leg up on Big Bucks if AP is a non-runner. But seems to be suggesting he will...
Russell talks up Rule The World for the WH. Mick shouts "Mouse won't speak to you!" The crowd laugh and Davy falls silent!
Tom Segal asks the panel if anyone would back BB at 2/1 after that race? Francome "Yeah" Segal "Oh I forgot he's the favourite!"
Segal "I wouldn't back Big Bucks with anyone's money"
Segal "Does anyone know where AFC went, Did he go to Martinstown?" Someone in the crowd yells "he went to Philip Fentons!" Everyone laughs
Quote of the night goes to Noel O'Brien "When it comes to Mouse's horses, ratings go out the window! Impossible"
Russell "Tell me about it!"
O'Brien and Harrington are very strong on Annie Power. Fitz "She runs and she wins".
Segal shakes his head "she should run". FIGHT!
Fitz "Ruby told me he thinks no gelding can give AP 7lbs and a beating."
Justin "She'll run and she'll be 9/4 fav on the day"
Russell says "we've spent 30 minutes talking about this... Move on!"
Segal again argues AnniePower for the Champion. It's getting out of control!
World Hurdle selections
Francome - BB
Cork - AP
Segal - RTW
Russell - RTW
McGrath - AP
O'Connor - AP
Luck - MOT
O'Brien - AP
Fitz - AP

Triumph

Davy Russell "I've puke in my mouth from talking about the Triumph Hurdle, and I won't talk about it. He throws down the mic."
Russell "These Triumph Hurdle horses have a choice in life... Run in the Triumph or go to Tesco Burgers! Disgusting horses".
Fitz likes Calipto @nickluck is very strong on Rutherglen
Segal and Russell are very keen on Briar Hill. Noel O'Brien questions his form and talks up Kings Palace.
They are picking up the pace here... The MC Gleeson must be double parked!

Gold Cup.
Francome "Don't know anyone who doesn't want Bobs Worth to win."
Corky "He could be better than last year. In great form".
Tom Segal "With Cue Card out, he won't be taken on, so I think Silviniaco Conti is a certainty."
Russell "Last Instalment is a better horse than Sir Des Champs." He suggests he could be one of the greats. Needs it soft. Very strong word.
@nickluck "I think Last Instalment could be a superstar, I think he's going to win the Gold Cup."
Noel O'Brien, @hayleyladbrokes, Francome and Fitz go for Bobs Worth.
Russell says Last Instalment is it rains, BW if not.
Francome makes a case for Harry Topper. Russell says "will there be any birch left in the fences if he wins?!"

Handicaps

John Francome is doing to raffle draw. To the last winner he said "You're a big strong lad, do you know Philip Fenton?!"
Handicaps McGrath - If In Doubt and Never Enough Time
Segal - Cantlow and Dunguib
Segal turns to Russell "Davy what's wrong with Cantlow?" Russell "Webber!"
Handicaps Fitz - Cheltenain and Champagne West
O'Brien - Seabeat and Gilgamboa
@nickluck - Blood Cotil and Indian Castle
Handicaps Harrington - Jetson and Seabeat "Arthur really fancies it"
@hayleyladbrokes Living Next Door and Blood Cotil
Handicaps Russell - Vaniteux
Corky - Erict
Francome - Colour Squadron

Charity Bets