Festival Previews

Well it wasn't but thanks anyway JamesRB :lol:

Rest of it was

Champion Hurdle up next

PWMullins, last year said he would bare his arse on the bridge in Carlow if The Fly was beat but would not make the same offer The Fly has to defy the age stat to win, says he has to play on there home turf which is always a challenge he thinks and hopes The Fly can win. Says if MTOY orJezki couldnt beat Champagne Fever over 2m in Chelt that they have no chance

PWM - against The Fly. ?

Dessie - very happy with Our Conor, says was very straight fitness wise lto but can still come on from the race. Says Our Conor the first horse in years to be last off the bridle in Leop v The Fly. I think he feels Cheltenham will suit him. Jumps, stays, turn of foot - very hopeful.

Cooper says he felt that Our Conor was the horse to take from Leop. Says that given choice of riding OC or Fly he would pick OC

Elliott said that The Fly has Our Conor to beat - thinks between them

Fahey says he thinks OC will win

Almost universally The New One was considered the best UK contender. All agreed fascinating race and one to savour

Last edited:
Last night saw the annual Cheltenham preview evening at Exeter Racecourse with guests including trainers Paul Nicholls, David Pipe and Phillip Hobbs, jockey Nick Scholfield and Racing Post reporter Andrew King.

Our reporter Tom Bevan was there and below is a transcript as the panelists previewed the major races at next month's festival.

TUESDAY

SUPREME NOVICES’ HURDLE.

Andrew King: Vautour is a very smart house who comes into race well. Irving has done little wrong and I think at the moment is each way value.

Paul Nicholls: (on Irving) I hope he can win. He is four from six on the flat and three from three in jumps and is in good shape. A fast run race would suit him better.

Nick Scholfield: The horse with the best English form is Irving, who has done nothing wrong. The horse is better on better ground but has won on soft ground before.

David Pipe: (on The Liquidator) He is back on good form. You could call him the forgotten horse. He has had one bad run but was vying for favouritism before that. If we can get him back to his best he will have a chance.

Wicklow Brave needs to brush up on his jumping and I have a sneaky feeling the top two (Irving and Vautour) will take all the beating.

Phillip Hobbs: Vautour looks very good but Irving offers better each way value.

ARKLE CHALLENGE TROPHY:

Paul Nicholls: Hinterland would like to see it dry out. He is still in the Champion Chase and we will see what the ground does. But Hinterland and Dodging Bullets are both in good order. I am thrilled with Dodging Bullets.

Andrew King: I think Rock on Ruby has a sound chance if the ground dries out.

Nick Schofield: Champagne Fever is much better if he gets an easy lead. If he gets taken on that might let him down. I have been impressed by Valdez and he might offer good each way value.

David Pipe: I think Champagne Fever will take all the beating. Valdez gave a good performance at Doncaster, can travel and has an each way chance but Champagne Fever is the one for me.

Phillip Hobbs: Champagne Fever has won twice previously at the festival and can come back and do it again.

CHAMPION HURDLE

Andrew King: The obvious is Hurricane Fly but I have always thought the Our Connor has been trained with one race only in mind and will be better than ever on faster ground if it dries out. I don’t think My Tent Or Yours or The New One is good enough to compete with these. If Annie Power shows up that could change everything but for me it is Hurricane Fly or Our Connor.

David Pipe: Even though Hurricane Fly is not getting any younger, I am not convinced My Tent Or Yours will get up the hill so I will go with Hurricane Fly.

Nick Schofield: (On Melodic Rendezvous) He has no pressure going into the race and deserves his chance. It will be a very tactical race with no real pace.

Phillip Hobbs and Paul Nicholls both said The New One had a decent chance.

WEDNESDAY

NEPTUNE NOVICES’ HURDLE

David Pipe: I have been very impressed with Faugheen. But Red Sherlock has done nothing wrong and will run a massive race. The betting is right and Faugheen is the one to beat. (On Un Temps Pour Tout) Whichever race he goes in he will have a good chance.

Phillip Hobbs: Champagne West is only in the Neptune if the ground comes up heavy.

Paul Nicholls: We will probably aim Port Melon at the three miler.

Andrew King: I have been very impressed with Red Sherlock in his bumpers and hurdles so far and he will take all the beating. He has a massive chance in this race and is going to be a top class horse.

RSA CHASE

David Pipe: It looks an open RSA if not the best. But it is not easy. I might still be taking a chance with Gevrey Chambertin. He is a good horse on his day and I am inclined to take the chance.

Paul Nicholls: Sam Winner can reverse the form with Smad Place and better ground will suit. The quicker they go the better and he has got a great chance.

Nick Scholfield: There is not much between Sam Winner and Smad Place but SW is a much bigger price.

QUEEN MOTHER CHAMPION CHASE:

David Pipe: Sprinter Sacre is a concern but hopefully they have had time to put him right. The race is all around this house but I would expect him to get him back and probably win.

Phillip Hobbs: Sprinter Sacre is a fantastic horse if he is right. Sire De Grugy is in decent form but I cannot see him beating Sprinter Sacre if he turns up.

Andrew King: I am very interested in Benefficient. He is a very nice horse and if Sprinter Sacre does not run I think they might try him in this. Personally I don’t think Sprinter Sacre will get there.

Paul Nicholls I think Nicky is sounding a bit negative with Sprinter Sacre saying they will make a decision in the next ten days. They won’t really know until they race him though. It just seemed a little negative. If he is back in good form we might take him on with Hinterland. If he turned up we might be positive and have a crack with him.

THURSDAY:

JLT NOVICES’ CHASE (FORMERLY JEWSON)

Paul Nicholls: Wonderful Charm goes well fresh and was three from four over fences in the Autumn. He is in good shape but would not want the ground too soft. Vukovar is a decent horse but Wonderful Charm has shown enough to be the one to beat.

Nick Scholfield also liked Wonderful Charm: If he gets ground he will be very hard to beat.

David Pipe: Vukovar is the one I will go for in that race.

Andrew King: Taquin Du Seuil has a good each way chance. He will stay on up the hill.

RYANAIR CHASE

David Pipe: If Sprinter Sacre does not turn up for the Champion Chase it will take a lot of horses away from the Ryanair. With Dynaste we are keeping the options open. He has not been right for a long time but is in great form at present. If he continues we will get him to Cheltenham in top form. We will leave it late to see what happens with Sprinter Sacre and the ground.

Paul Nicholls: The Ryanair for Al Ferof was always my A-plan. He ran very well in the King George but does not stay. This is the obvious race for him and the ideal race for him. Wishfull Thinking could be the one to beat. I would run Cue Card in the Ryanair. He is not going to get three and a half miles at Cheltenham in an end to end gallop in the Gold Cup. If he is in the Ryanair he is a favourite and hard to beat.

Phillip Hobbs said: I am more likely to run Menorah. Wishfull Thinking might end up in the Byrne Group Plate. Cue Card has a big chance in the Ryanair but won’t win the Gold Cup.

Andrew King: Dynaste.

WORLD HURDLE

Paul Nicholls: Big Bucks has got as good a chance as any other time he has been in the race. He needed his previous run and it was on very heavy ground that we would not normally run him in. But we had to go somewhere with him and he has tightened up since then. He must have a leading chance.

Phillip Hobbs: Big Bucks has been a fantastic horse for so long and must have a good chance.

Andrew King: I had reservations about his comeback run. But seeing the way he was today (in a racecourse gallop at Exeter) he looked back to his best and will take all the beating. He looked a picture and still got such quality.

David Pipe: I hope Annie Power does turn up as it will make it a great race for everyone to watch.

FRIDAY:

JCB TRIUMPH HURDLE

Paul Nicholls: I am confident of a big run from Calipto but he prefers softer ground.

ALBERT BARTLETT

David Pipe: King’s Palace has done nothing wrong, handles the track, stays well and is in ground form. All roads lead to the Albert Bartlett. Briar Hill is the main danger but I don’t fancy Captain Cutter.

Andrew King: Kings Palace is a very nice young horse and is the obvious choice in the race. He is got to go close but I would not take 3/1.

GOLD CUP

Paul Nicholls: Silviniaco Conti is stronger than last year and stays as we saw at Kempton. He was travelling extremely well and I have never had any doubt he can stay up that hill. He will need a bit of luck in running but is in very good shape.

Phillip Hobbs: Captain Chris will run. That is the plan. He is not as good left handed but has won the Arkle and a novice hurdle at Cheltenham. There is no other race to run him in. We have nothing to lose by running.

David Pipe: It looks a strong renewal and Bob’s Worth will take all the beating. He is not flashy but is workmanlike. Silviniaco Conti has got a great chance but Bob’s Worth will take all the beating,

Nick Scholfield: Silviniaco Conti looked really fresh and well today (in the Exeter gallop) and Noel struggled to hold him. Harry Topper could be a good each way bet. At 20/1 he may run into a place.

Andrew King: Silviniaco Conti is one of the best bets of the meeting.

Handicap choices

Phillip Hobbs: Fingal Bay in the Pertemps.

Paul Nicholls: Far West in the Coral Cup

David Pipe: Edmund Kean in the Kim Muir.

Nick Scholfield: Regal Encore in the Coral Cup.

Andrew King: Cheltenian in the County Hurdle.

Looks a good preview in Kerins Bar in Fermoy, Cheltenham preview night, all proceeds going to J T McNamaras fund. Tues March 4th 8PM. Tickets 15 Euros including free 10 Euros bet

Panel

Tom Segal
Brian Cooper
Kevin O'Ryan
Gary O'Brien
Pat Keane
Paddy Power

Like to be there especially if they can keep the microphone away from Kevin O'Ryan :whistle:

I'm going to this one next Thursday night in Waterford. Looks a very decent panel and the added bonus of Haley O Connor as eye candy too.

Thursday 27th February, in the Woodlands Hotel, Waterford.

Panel includes: John Francome, Nick Luck, Davy Russell, Tom Segal, Noel O Brien, Mick Fitzgerald, Jessica Harrington, Corky Browne, Jim McGrath, Hayley O Connor (Ladbrokes), MC Brian Gleeson. Tickets €20

The Goat Cheltenham Preview Night in Ireland

Panel

Kevin O' Ryan (KOR) - ATR
Patrick Mullins (PM)- Jockey
Tony Martin (TM)- Trainer
Barry Geraghty (BJG) - Jockey

Supreme Novices

PM: Ruby likely to attempt similar tactics to last year in the opener on Vatour. Wicklow Brave the better bet at 9s will be in first three.

BJG: Vautour far too short, had the run of the race the last day. Josses Hill good EW chance as does Western Boy in a weak Supreme.

TM: Tony goes for Josses Hill. Tony Martin has a gut feeling re Irving 'Just doesn't like him'

General consensus is Vautour far too short, doubts re Irving's stamina.

Neptune/Albert Bartlett

PM: Backed Briar Hill for Neptune but looks a losing bet now. Faugheen = ✈️✈️ Reckon Faugheen is a deal better than Rathvinden. PM says they will be very disappointed if Faugheen is beat. Faster pace will bring improvement in jumping department. PM reckons Briar would win any of the three novice hurdles, his banker.

BJG: Faugheen will take beating in Neptune. Would be confident of Rathvinden reversing form with Red Sherlock given better ground. In the Albert Bartlett says Captain Cutter may struggle, Briar is the one to have on side.

TM: Very sweet on Rathvinden for Neptune if he goes, big field will suit, under the radar, appreciate better ground. Upset Faugheen!

Triumph Hurdle

BJG: hoping Royal Irish Hussar can return to form and good EW bet at big prices. La Rocher the one to beat, best horse Nick Williams has.

PM: The Triumph is the perfect opportunity to go get a cup of tea, hates it. For poor flat horses.
Paddy surprised if Abbysial runs in Triumoh, hopes he doesn't, one for the future, maybe Punchestown.

TM: A big fan of Le Rocher also, Nick Williams a very underrated trainer. Says PM wouldn't mind his daddy buying this one haha

Arkle/ JLT

PM: Champ Fever hasn't had the ideal prep, loves Cheltenham but Trifolium the one to beat, very impressive. Rock on Ruby has been broken by Hurricane Fly much like Peddlers Cross.
Good ground would bring out the best in Felix come the JLT, Djackadam may not go, do not back until see him line up.

BJG: Oscar Whiskey has surprised him, jumps brilliantly. Fatter than anything first time out when beaten. Rock solid. One to beat.Thought Grandouet would win the Arkle at the start of the season, disappointed but still a chance. Champagne Fever vulnerable.Grandouet now under the radar for Barry, big shout at big price.

TM: says they've made a balls of Ted Veale's campaign , ( RM adds wouldn't trust a word out of his mouth. Won't give us anything )

RSA

BJG: reckons Balleycasey one to beat in RSA, caught his eye. Will probably ride O'Faolins with a little chance.

PM: says massive performance from Balleycasey last time out. Like driving a Rolls Royce.Ballycasey was bought as a Gold Cup horse and that's the plan long term.

World Hurdle

PM: Willie won't make the decision re Annie till last minute though reckon that the World looks the best option for Annie. Big Bucks the vulnerable Fav out of the three races ( CHampion Hurdle. Mares, World Hurdle). No problem re 3m.

BJG : At Fishers could improve. Likes More of That too he went by b4 him very easily with a great turn of foot. Dark one. Big Bucks of old could have been ridden anyway and won the last day just watch the race, beaten fair and square, not very unfit. Barry firmly says Big Bucks will not win the World Hurdle, was fit last time out, 95% at least.

TM: Would run Annie against Quevega, wouldn't subject her to 3m at Cheltenham. While future ahead of her, big ask.

Open world hurdle for all, Big Bucks opposable.

Mala Beach a cheeky outsider for KOR.

Champion Hurdle

RM One of the lads just had a sly word with Barry. Hopes to ride Jezki in the champion.

PM : Will not bare his arse if Hurricane gets beat. All great with the Fly, knows where the winning line is, aggression sets him apart. A true champion. Age the only concern put stronger than ever after this Summer. Good as ever if not better. Potential versus Proven in the Champion. Most worried about The New One. If Champagne beats MTOY over 2mile, so does the Fly. Willie leaning away from Champion for Un De Sceaux. PM says Dads placed him fantastically. Admits that the Fly is the one the Mullins camp want the most to win 'He's always been the one'

BJG: waiting for the phone call re Jezki. If Fly turns up like the last day he won't be beaten but not convinced will hold form at Cheltenham. Our Conor strolls around Cheltenham like Larry the Lamb says Barry, one I give Fly most to so. Jezki better than this season too at 10/1.MTOY had The New One covered at Kempton. The New One might be forced to make it come Cheltenham, not ideal. Says key to Jezki is getting him to switch off, doesn't seea convinced should make it like AP McCoy has been saying.

TM : has it between Our Conor and The New One, Hurricane well beatable at his age.

Queen Mother Champion Chase:

BJG: disappointed about Sprinter Sacre but he's in one piece that's the main thing, he's the best he's ridden. Kid Casiddy the EW value for Barry, Sizing Europe looks to be fading in his old age. Maybe if Henry can work a miracle.

TM: says heavy ground Benefficent goes QMCC, yielding he goes RyanAir Tony actually keen to go RyanAir with Benificient, thinks he has a right chance in this race. Tony not mad on Sire de Grugy, Arvika a majestic horse he says but can't put it together. Aeroplane if puts it together.

RM: Panel joking re Barry getting on Bennificient. Literally can't ever tell if Tony Martin is telling the truth

PM: would avoid the QMCC, concerns re Arvika's jumping left handed.

Gold Cup

BJG: Haydock was too sharp for Bobs Worth and wasn't fit enough. Leop far more his cup of tea.
Better the ground the better the chance for Bobs. Softer ground plays to Last Instalment and he's the one he fears most. If Last Instalment hadn't have missed last season, he could have been last years Gold Cup winner. As far as the rest of them, Barry reckons he has Silvi, Cue Card etc covered. Silvi was bollocksed when fell last year.

PM: Bobs Worth will take the beating, reckons this is the best horse Barry is riding, not Sacre. Thought they'd win with SDC last year.

( My note PM cant get over saying Sprinter Sacre was lay of the festival in 2012

TM: Last Instalment is a PROPER HORSE, comparing to all time greats.

Bumper

PM: all bumper horses very different, Hard to split but he's likes Black Hercules the most. Temperament huge asset. Wants to ride Black Hercules as things stand.

TM: Golantilla emptied yesterday, little short and PM gave winner great ride. Needed the run and wouldn't write him off 'if he turns up'. Golantilla won't go unless he's 100% happy and if he does go he would be disappointed if didn't place

Other races

TM: very sweet on Living Next Door he says, disappointed if not in first three wherever he goes. Entered in everything, likes him.

PM: likely to ride Suntiep in the four miler. Noble Inn in the Fred Winter worth keeping an eye on Paddy says too.

PM says Mossey Joe runs within a stone of best he wins, he turns up he wins. BJG warns ground key, needs better ground.

Charity Bets

TM: Living Next Door.
BJG : Josses Hill and More of That.
PM: Briar Hill.
KOR: Tiger Roll.

Cill Dara Golf Club. Kildare Report by @OurConor

Panel

Dessie Hughes (DH), Trainer
Kevin O’Ryan, ( KOR) ATR
Conor O’Dwyer (COD) Trainer
Noel O’Brien , ( NOB) Irish Handicapper
Frank Berry, (FB) JP McManus main man
Darragh Fiztpatrick (DF) Bookmaker
Des Scahil - ( DS) Commentator

Quick chat with Cheltenham clerk of course no rain on forecast for next 2 weeks mud larks will have a problem form out of window

Supreme

Noel O’Brien has Vautour rated 152 and Iriving at 150, Wicklow brave 142. Two horse race fancies Vautour
Frank Berry not sure if Gilgamboa runs! Reckons Tullow Tank not at best losing to Vatour
DH very sweet on Wicklow Brave thinks he’s better than Vautour! Plenty of speed …
KOR thinks Vautour! Ruby singing riding on a jet plane coming in after first race in Navan
? fancies Wicklow Brave! Good value , good ground should help jumping
CO'Dwyer goes for Irving and Western Boy each way
Darragh Fitzpatrick bookmaker informs us that Patrick Mullins did an each way treble last week
Horse were Briar Hill , Wicklow Brave and The Fly! Suggests Wicklow Brave is fancied so he puts Wicklow Brave up

Arkle

FB reckons Champagne Fever has massive question mark over him. Goes for Rock on Ruby
NOB thinks Cheltenham form massive for Chamagne Fever. On plain form goes Trifolioum
DH thinks Champagne Fever mistake could affect him long term and goes Trifolioum
KOR thinks Rock on Ruby has taken to jumps well and is class horse in the field
COD thinks Champagne Fever needs a step up in trip and doesn’t jump quick and puts up Trifolioum as a great each way shot
DF has seen money for Valdez and offers the room Champagne Fever at 4/1. No love for last years Supreme Winner.

Champion Hurdle

Replay of the Irish Hurdle played DC shake of the head while watching it says it all
NOB thinks Hurricane is an outstanding champion and will do them all
FB confirms AP will ride My Tent or Yours ! Thinks Jezki will run up the hill and is good value. Nicky happy with MTOY and thinks will take all the beating. Frank confirms Barry will ride Jezki.
KOR goes for Hurricane Fly to beat Our Conor as does Conor O’Dwyer
DF :Our Conor and Jezki put up by as great each way shots
DH :No way OurConor will make it ! Reckons he has the speed horse
Dessie on OurConor http://moby.to/kb10uv

Neptune

NOB says Red Sherlock 151 , Faugheen 154! Faugheen put up by NOB
DH goes Red Sherlock not impressed by Faugheen. DH runs Lieutenant Colonel and reckons an each way shot
KOR and COD go Red Sherlock

RSA

NOB think they are a decent bunch! Not much between them. Small fields make ratings false. Thinks Irish will win , Ballycasey
the choice on ratings.
FB confirms Carlingford Lough will go and has every chance
DH puts up Don Cossack. Thinks they are a good bunch of novices
KOR thinks Don Cossack is a soft horse. Ballycasey impressive. Thinks Carlingford Lough best bet, plenty of experience will help.
COD thinks experience makes Carlingford Lough the best bet of week.
DF thinks Don Cossack is a tripless rogue and has no chance. Irish to win the race and Carlingford Lough to do it ….

Champion Chase

NOB thinks Sire De Grugy a worthy favourite. Gives Sizing Europe a squeak.
FB doesn’t think Alderwood will make the race. Reckon Sire De Grugy is best bet of the meeting.
DH and KOR reckon Sire De Grugy will win all day long.
Fight breaks out with NOB and KOR on the chances of Sizing Europe
KOR: Nicky rang Barry to tell him about Sprinter and told him not to worry as Captain Conan will it win it anyways

Bumper
KOR confirms Willie Mullins to run 4 horses , two from weekend and Black Hercules and Shaneshill. Patrick to ride Hercules.
KOR sticks with Shaneshill , liked him all along
DH drops the bombshell that Willie Mullins will win the bumper and leaves it at that
NOB fancied Golantilla until Killultagh Vic walked all over him.
COD reckons Killutagh Vic is a machine.

Ryanair

NOB thinks drop back in trip will help Al Ferof.
KOR goes Beneficent and Al Ferof against the field.
DF :Al Ferof
DH: Dessie not sure about Ryanair for Lyreen Legend , thinks trip too short and thinks good ground in Gold Cup could run a big race

World Hurdle

NOB thinks Big Bucks entitled to get tired but would very worried on last run. Annie Power could be anything and will go for the race by default and reckons Annie Power has never looked like stopping. 7lb to prove massive.

FB: More of That and At Fishers Cross likely to take there chance according to Fran. Thinks what ever beats Fishers Cross will win

DH: Dessie plugs for Annie Power , says never seen a hole in her and is a hell of a mare

KOR:thinks Annie power is one of bets of the meeting if she turns up

COD thinks Rule The world has a great shout , mouse reckons he’s one of the best he has ever had.

Triumph

DH thinks Guitar Pete probably the best. But Tiger Roll has great chance at Cheltenham.

Albert Bartlett

DH impressed with Briar Hill.
FB confirms Captain Cutter to go for the Albert Bartlett.
NOB has King Palace 7 to 10 pounds ahead of the rest of them and is the best bet of the meeting!!
KOR: Patrick Mullins thinks Briar Hill is banker of the meting and is good enough for him.
COD puts up Briar Hill as most likely winner.

Gold Cup

NOB: thinks Last Instalment form from the last day is questionable. Bobs Worth around Cheltenham is one to beat.
DH: agains points towards the Gold Cup for Lyreen Legend seems convinced the horse will improve and will run into a place.
However Bobs Worth for Dessie , Kevin and Conor. The one they all have to beat.
6/6 from the panel for Bobs Worth

Naps/ Charity Bets

FB If In Doubt each/way in the Pertemps.
NOB Kings Palace Albert Bartlett
DH Wicklow Brave
KOR Ted Veale in Grand Annual and Tiger Roll each way for at Triumph
DF Ted Veale Grand Annual
COD Carlingford Lough RSA

Thanks DG
You have cheered me up no end re Rock On Ruby,Red Sherlock, Carlingford Lough and Lyreen Legend.
Now if you can find someone to give Hunt Ball a good ew chance in Ryanair I will be in business !

Hunt ball doesn't go for the Ryanair. Henderson will have no horse in it.

London on Wednesday 25 February.

On the panel:

DJ: DARYL JACOB (Jockey)
GC: GRAHAM CUNNINGHAM (Channel 4 Racing)
BE: BILL ESDAILE (City AM Racing Editor)
LT: LUKE TARR (Head of PR, Star Sports)

Tuesday 11 March
SUPREME NOVICES HURDLE

GC and DJ both keen on VAUTOUR
BE sweet on WILDE BLUE YONDER at a decent price

Panel agreed that IRVING is now plenty short enough.
ARKLE CHASE

LT and GC both supporters of TRIFOLIUM

The panel were collectively against ROCK ON RUBY

DJ keen on his ride DODGING BULLETS
CHAMPION HURDLE

Star Sports prices showed THE NEW ONE and HURRICANE FLY as 3/1 joint favs with MY TENT OR YOURS and OUR CONOR as the 9/2 joint second favs.

Both GC and LT both thought the betting was the wrong way round and the 9/2 joint second favs should in fact be the 3/1 joint favs !

Selections:

DJ HURRICANE FLY
GC OUR CONOR
LT MY TENT OR YOURS
BE HURRICANE FLY

GC was of the belief that ANNIE POWER would in fact run here in the Champion Hurdle to which LT added that she would be 9/2 not the current 7/1 if that was confirmed.

Wednesday 12 March
NEPTUNE NOVICES HURDLE

The panel were all agreed that this totally revolves around the front two in the market FAUGHEEN and RED SHERLOCK especially as there are likely to be several non runners behind them.

The panel were united behind the chances of FAUGHEEN.
RSA CHASE

BE was keen to remind everyone that he is on a 5 timer in this race !! MORNING ASSEMBLY is Bill’s chosen one this year.

All the panel though the current market leaders BALLYCASEY and SMAD PLACE were very short.

LT and GC nominated MANY CLOUDS as their best each way bets of the week.

DJ SAM WINNER a sound each way chance and ‘overpriced’ at 14/1
QUEEN MOTHER CHAMPION CHASE

The panel agreed that whilst SIRE DE GRUGY deserved to be favourite the current price is skinny. GC however was quite happy with 5/2 SIRE DE GRUGY as a bet.

All also agreed that ARVIKA LIGEONNIERE is not only the hardest horse name in training to spell correctly but also doesn’t go left handed and were sceptical as to whether the promised ‘special’ head gear will make a difference and thought it was a massive lay.
CROSS COUNTRY HANDICAP CHASE

DJ rides DIAMOND HARRY and thought it had an each way chance.

LT and GC both respected chances of favourite BIG SHU and if anything thought it should be shorter.
FRED WINTER HANDICAP HURDLE

It was thought that DAWALAN would go off a lot shorter than the current 10/1

Thursday 13 March
JLT NOVICE CHASE

DJ closely connected with WONDERFUL CHARM who he is keen on.

LT Thought OSCAR WHISKEY and TAQUIN DU SEUIL would be 1-2 again as they were earlier in the season.

GC a fan of WONDERFUL CHARM and also VUKOVAR who has been well backed with Star Sports.

BE FELIX YONGER

So, that’s the top of the market covered between the panel !! May the best man win.
RYANAIR CHASE

LT main bet of the week AL FEROF at 5/1. He’s convinced it won’t go off bigger than 3/1.

DJ aother AL FEROF supporter.

Only other one likely to be backed is GC selection DYNASTE

BE Keen on FIRST LIEUTENANT (with a run)
WORLD HURDLE

DJ obviously close to BIG BUCK’S and feels he has come on lot after his defeat in the Cleeve Hurdle. He rides CELESTIAL HALO who he considers very much has each way claims.

GC keen to be against BIG BUCK’S

BE One of his ‘bets of the week’ RULE THE WORLD

LT No idea !! But SALUBRIOUS ew at 20/1 offered up.

Friday 14 March
TRIUMPH HURDLE

The panel were all keen on CALIPTO

DJ Thinks LE ROCHER wants ground on the soft side

A strong vibe that ACTIVIAL will not run.
ALBERT BARTLETT NOVICE HURDLE

Similar shape to the Neptune. Front two solid with loads of non runners likely.

LT and BE are big KINGS PALACE fans

GC favouring BRIAR HILL
GOLD CUP

Majority opinion it’s between top two in market- the 2013 winner BOBS WORTH and SILVINIACO CONTI who fell 12 months ago when still travelling very well.

DJ in doubt – would pick SILVINIACO CONTI ‘every day of the week’ if he could pick a ride. He DOES ride ROCKY CREEK and he is convinced he has a real ew chance with the likely non runners.

GC BOBS WORTH

LT and BE FIRST LIEUTENANT NRNB interesting but conceded most likely winner is BOBS WORTH
COUNTY HANDICAP HURDLE

DJ rides LAC FONTANA who he puts in good word for.
FOXHUNTER CHASE

GC ON THE FRINGE
BETS OF THE WEEK
DARYL JACOB

NAP: AL FEROF
BEST EW: LAC FONTANA
GRAHAM CUNNINGHAM

NAP: TRIFOLIUM
BEST EW: MANY COLOURS
LUKE TARR

NAP: AL FEROF
BEST EW: MANY CLOUDS
BILL ESDAILE *

(* who clearly wants to sleep with Mouse Morris !)

NAP: RULE THE WORLD
BEST EW: FIRST LIEUTENANT

Another twitter report via @IrishStarSport from Cheltenham preview in aid of Pieta House at Carnegie Court, Swords, Co Dublin.

Panel
Davy Russell DR
Brian Flanagan BF
Andy McNamara AMN
Mark Winstanley aka the couch MW
Andrew Lynch AL
Deniskirwan DK
Ado McGuinness AMG

Supreme

MW Couch doesn't like Irving.
DR Doesnt like Irving. Track will catch him out. Picks Valseur Lido. Davy will work on Western Boy in coming days and a decision will be made. He rides if he runs.
BF Questions the form, but likes Vautour
AMN Can't have Irving. Likes Vautour

Neptune

Andy Mc loving Faugheen
Flanagan points to Red Sherlock form with Rathvinden as a pointer. Faugheen could be an even money shot if Willie has a good day Tuesday
Andrew Lynch would love Briar Hill in this, but likes Oliver Sherwood's Deputy Dan as a bit of a flyer
Davy has issues with Faugheen's jumping. 'I've fierce respect for Red Sherlock.' He can't have Royal Boy
MW: Couch all over Faugheen! 'One of the bets of the Festival'

ALBERT BARTLETT

MW: Couch thinks the Briar Hill/Faugheen ew double is the way to go
Andrew Lynch can't see past Kings Palace. Need a stayer to win this and as a former winner of the race he rates KP
Flanagan agrees with Lynch. Davy loving Briar Hill. Stays very well and jumps very well. They're loving Mullins so far
Briar Hill for Andy Mc. But not as convinced as the others

TRIUMPH HURDLE:

Russell hates the Triumph, but points to Le Rocher's sire as top class NH sire
Couch likes Broughton. Worked 'marvellously' the other day
Brian Flanagan reckons Tiger Roll will be Ireland's best - definitely will reverse form with Guitar Pete. 14/1 great value
Andy Mc poo poos Davy's anti-Triumph theorys. Likes Broughton too
Andrew Lynch is a big Le Rocher fan. Tough horse, and that's what you need to win a Triumph

ARKLE

Andy Mc likes Champagne Fever, can't have Rock on Ruby. Champagne on his A game is unbeatable in this
Couch not sure if Valdez is good enough. English not good enough. As much chance as England winning WC in Brazil.
Couch backing Trifolium and CF 1-2.
Davy says CF is extremely tough to get fit, 'according to the lads'
Lynch likes Rock on Ruby, Champagne Fever to get pipped by ROR. Couch says 9yo horses don't win arkles
Brian Flanagan v impressed by Trifolium at Leop. Points to Byrnes record at #Cheltenham as a positive.

JLT Novices Chase

Couch can't see past Oscar Whiskey.
Flanagan loves Djakadam if he runs,
Lynch puts Sizing Gold up ew, but panel generally in favour of Oscar Whiskey

RSA CHASE:
Andy Mac likes Morning Assembly. Battler and that's what's needed in the RSA
Couch; I don't like three runner races. Don't know what Carlingford Lough's jockey was at? He'll never make it.
Couch: Annacotty wouldn't win if it started now. Think Many Clouds will run a big race at a big price.
BF: If its soft I fancy Morning Assembly. If good Smad Place. Ted Walsh said Ballycasey travelled over badly last year, so wait til day.

WORLD HURDLE
BF: A half fit Big Buck's should have beaten Knockara Beau. Big Bucks looks past his best. Losing Ruby is a big negative.
COUCH: Celestial Halo will go fast. Big Bucks will come on a stone for last run. Salubrious is 20s, he'll run a big race.
DAVY: I couldn't believe Rule The World was beaten last year, he's definitely good enough
Andy Mc: I take it Annie power doesn't run, Big Buck's is a good thing.

CHAMPION HURDLE:

Couch can't have The New One, or 'The Can't Jump One' MY Tent or Yours is the one. Easily best. Reminds him of Binocular
Davy: After New One won the Neptune I thought he was a class act. Our Conor is an exceptional jumper and that is key.Hurricane is unbeatable in Ireland. Not the same in UK. between New One and Our Conor.
PP's Rob won't hear of defeat for the Hurricane
BF: The New One
Lynch: The New One will give Hurricane Fly biggest problem. Ruby will prob follow The New One and win.Our Conor could be next year's Champion Hurdle winner, but this time it's Hurricane Fly
Andy Mac: went ridiculous slow pace in Irish Champion, you can't give Hurricane Fly a sprint finish.

CHAMPION CHASE

Lynch not having Sire De Grugy. Special Tiara slammed him at Aintree. Goin through the field and coming back to Sizing Europe

Flanagan reckons it's a grade 2 this year. Thinks Captain Conan could run a big race. Not a bad reserve. SDG worthy fav tho

Couch reckons Benefficient should go Ryanair. Sizing Europe too old and Captain Conan the value

.@paddypower Rob reckons Captain Conan is a talk horse

Andy Mc says it's a lot closer than you'd think. Jamie Moore said after Ascot: that's great but SDG f***in hates Chelt. Sizing good ew value

Andy Mc rippin the boys now. Russel over Gigg, Lynch over SE goin to the JNwine. Queue howls of laughter

Davy reckons benefficient should go here. He rides Special Tiara and says he felt good the other day. In great form

Ryanair

Flanagan likes First Lieutenant. Davy agrees. Doesn't think he stays Gold Cup trip and Ryanair is made for him! Mouse the man!

Lynch fancies Dynaste, Andy Mc very hopeful of winning with Hidden Cyclone. If a couple are rerouted he fancies his fella.

Rob: @paddypower haven't seen much interest in this. Couch fancies First Lieutenant too (bombproof). Thinks he'll hose up!!!

GOLD CUP

Davy says Last Instalment is a much better horse than Sir Des Champs and will go much better, if ground is slow. Davy also reckons Giant Bolster is a great ew price. 'Will give you a great run for your money'
Couch: can't have Silviniaco Conti. King George form no use! Giant Bolster needs more headgear than Hannibal Lector!!!! Tips Rocky Creek ew.

PP Rob thinks bobs worth will be less than 7/4 on the day.
Andy Mc a Bobs Worth fan. Not mad on Silviniaco.Rocky Creek or Harry Topper could outrun their prices and make the places. Bobs v Last Instalment the obv match
Flanagan: Bobs Worth is the best in the race by far and will win. Also, if Teaforthree were ran he could make a place at 100/1
Lynch fancies 'the class act' Last Instalment

Q&A from the crowd
Q&A. Lord Windermere will try creep into GC, he'd like to sneak a place at best
Q&A Davy asked about Carlito Brigante. Told by new owner he's flying and waiting to see where entered

CHARITY BETS /NAPS

Brian Flanagan: Foxrock charity bet + Balnaslow wherever he goes. Also likes Sea Beat in Fred Winter
Lynch: Le Rocher nap, Sizing Gold JLT
Davy: Valseur Lido Supreme and Triflioum ew (split his bet). Also Dublin to do the double
Andy Mc: Faugheen in Neptune and Lindenhurst ew Fred Winter
Couch: Vaniteux Martin Pipe and Un Temps Pour Tout in Coral should he go. Portway Flyer & Cocktails at Dawn will win this wkend
Dave Coughlan Baily Green in CC and Salubrious world hurdle.
Denis Kirwan tips Briar Hill Albert Bartlett and Volnay De Thaix in Martin Pipe

Back