Fighting Fifth Hurdle 1st December

Far from it be to tell Nicky how to train a champion hurdler, he’s a genius at it, but the horse kind of has to run here. He’s a horse that needs to run because it’s hard to get him fit.

Will a 75% fit BD be good enough to beat bit a race fit Samcro and up and coming Summerville Boy? One thing for sure, Buv kills them both in the hurdling department and that may just be enough to keep him there without being fully wound up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Sure' is one word but a big one.

'Kind of...' is two but says a lot less.

It's interesting. I like 'interesting'....

This looks a race for the ages, like those good old days of Sea Pigeon, Bird's Nest and Night Nurse.
Whatever the result, I just hope all candidates get home in one piece, memories of Browne's Gazette still linger.

This looks a race for the ages, like those good old days of Sea Pigeon, Bird's Nest and Night Nurse.
Whatever the result, I just hope all candidates get home in one piece, memories of Browne's Gazette still linger.

......and Ekbalco.

Henderson’s horses don’t look fit at all. Morning Vicar & Dragon Destravaul absolutely tanked through their races today at Newbury. Then went out like a light 2 out. Mite Bite last week went out like a light.

I layed Might bite last week, that race looked tricky with a few decent horses against it. Tomorrow all BD will have to deal with is Samcro. If this was a different horse I'd leave the race alone but we know BD can come back after a break and do the business. I know the Henderson horses are not firing but I just personally feel BD is so good it won't have to be at it's best to win. I could be 100% wrong, I'm really looking forward to the race.

I layed Might bite last week, that race looked tricky with a few decent horses against it. Tomorrow all BD will have to deal with is Samcro. If this was a different horse I'd leave the race alone but we know BD can come back after a break and do the business. I know the Henderson horses are not firing but I just personally feel BD is so good it won't have to be at it's best to win. I could be 100% wrong, I'm really looking forward to the race.

I'm going to the meeting with a few from the forum. I think it's fair to say the BSP of BD will tell us exactly how fit he is. If he's 100% it's not impossible the 'Great Man' will step in late.

Last edited:
I'm going going to the meeting with a few from the forum. I think it's fair to say the BSP of BD will tell us exactly how for he is. If he's 100% it's not impossible the 'Great Man' will step in late.

I'd love to be going to the meeting tomorrow. No doubt you'll all have a great day. Being honest I had BD odds on and it did worry me that it was odds against, but all the hype about Henderson's not doing too well could be a factor in the 'big' price of BD.

I’m friendly with Jerry Mcgrath & the horse is honestly only at 75% fitness.

It’s just a watching brief for me. I’m BD biggest fan. He was at the same level last year but just had Irving to deal with. Samcro & SB are different gravy to him.

If BD wasn't 100% fit and was up against the Samcro of last year, I'd 100% back Samcro. But that bloody fall it had at Punchestown I'm wondering did it have some sort of effect on it. Coming back from long breaks didn't effect Samcro before either. I know o leary said he knew Samcro wouldn't win last time out, I saw it in some newspaper but I just had it in my head the fall might of effected the horse in some way, if not physically, mentally maybe. I'm not going to trade off, I'm going to stick with BD. I've been really looking forward to this race for awhile.

It’s just a watching brief for me. I’m BD biggest fan. He was at the same level last year but just had Irving to deal with. Samcro & SB are different gravy to him.

There is no such thing as a watching brief if a fav is not fit.

If BD wasn't 100% fit and was up against the Samcro of last year, I'd 100% back Samcro. But that bloody fall it had at Punchestown I'm wondering did it have some sort of effect on it. Coming back from long breaks didn't effect Samcro before either. I know o leary said he knew Samcro wouldn't win last time out, I saw it in some newspaper but I just had it in my head the fall might of effected the horse in some way, if not physically, mentally maybe. I'm not going to trade off, I'm going to stick with BD. I've been really looking forward to this race for awhile.

That's a big Samcro sample size you are using there! He was giving lumps to smart horses. You can forgive him that run.

I’m of the opinion BD may still be good enough to beat him Slim. Michael o’Leary was right. Samcro is not the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ. I can’t get Bedrock out of my head. He left him for dead when he quickened up & BD is much quicker than Bedrock.

He is a NR grass. Can only imagine it’s ground. Buveur Dair was not 100% in the champion hurdle last March & still pulled it out. He ran nowhere his rating. He is tough and always has been underestimated but he still pulls it out.

Edit. I’m talking myself into backing him.

Last edited:
I'm favouring Summerville Boy myself.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm mad keen or that it's a good thing but it's the one with real potential.

yeah its starting to tighten up between the two principles

fascinating stuff. definitely think elliott/gigi have decided this will give them a bigger indicator than anything if he's suitable for a champion hurdle campaign. i think any kind of defeat = a strong consideration to go novice chasing.

Look, Samcro needs to be winning this. If he can’t beat BD first time out with a race under his belt he has no hope come March providing they all get there.

yeah its starting to tighten up between the two principles

fascinating stuff. definitely think elliott/gigi have decided this will give them a bigger indicator than anything if he's suitable for a champion hurdle campaign. i think any kind of defeat = a strong consideration to go novice chasing.

If he goes novice chasing this season it makes Elliott look like a complete idiot.

Back