Films

Mrs and Daughter AC went to see the Australia movie last week and both seemed to enjoy it very much. I know it wouldn't be my bag without seeing it.

Mrs and Daughter AC went to see the Australia movie last week and both seemed to enjoy it very much. I know it wouldn't be my bag without seeing it.

Mrs Orchid & daughter as they left the house last week: We're just off to the pictures to see Australia. (No invitation to join them - zip, nada, zilch, etc.)

They enjoyed it too. I enjoyed their being out of the house for a few hours even more...

We are uncannily similar Des. I ate crisps, drank beer, farted and scratched my spectacles for the night without correction or reproach. Joy.

The Sheikh and wife no.1 went to see slumdog on Saturday night. Great flick, refreshing in it's concept and edge of the seat stuff.

I'm considering making Freida Pinto one of my wives :<3:

Last edited:
Went to see Milk on Friday night. Highly recommend it! Penn has to be a leading contendor for an oscar after his performance. Lots of old footage from the 70's, homemade video's and the likes. Very very good.

Saw RockandRolla the other night and it surpassed my admittedly low expectations.

Tony Kebbell is going to make a fine actor and there is a great scene involving him, a bouncer and a live Subways gig.

My all-time fav book as a child(The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Gouge) has been made into a film just out called The Secret of Moonacre. Now I just need to borrow a child and go see it!

One of my all-time favourites "The Dark Is Rising" was made into a film last year.

Didn't go to see it as they changed everything including the personality of the main character and the director was allowed to put a Christian moral slant onto a modern American background, when the story is set in rural England against a background of English folklore.

Biggest turn-off was casting Ian McShane (short and dark) as the "Merlin" character when the description given in the book and - therefore held in everyone's mind's eye - was of a tall, gaunt silver-haired man - much more like Christopher Lee. The book was magical, the film was, I'm told, very lame. I didn't even bother to go to see it as reviews from other lovers of the book put me off. Apparently it was only screened for a week in the UK.

I'm interested in the Secret of Moonacre, too, but don't think I need to borrow a kid as I've never really grown up!!

Hope they haven't spoilt it for you Jinnyj.

Saw The Kite Runner, last night. Pretty deep stuff. Very moving.

I smiled at Jinny's comment about borrowing a kid to go and see a film. I went with my ex-husband to see Jaws when it first came out ( I think it was a 12) and we were the only adults in the entire cinema, as it was a daytime showing during school holidays.

Fifty Dead Men Walking looks a cracking film, except for the fact that they changed some of the facts. I hate it when films do that. Particularly as it involved changing events set in the North East of England to Canada though the majority of the film is set in Norn Iron.

Watched Changeling last night on DVD and thought it excellent if a little harrowing in parts. Jolie was superb.

Why has The Brothers Bloom not got a UK release date yet?

I watched Brick again yesterday and want to see what Johnson does next.

Back