Films

Is that the one where Angelina has rather strange hair? I made the mistake of watching Glorious 39, because I used to like Stephen Poliakoff stuff. It was dire.

Last edited:
Let The Right One In

What a classic example of a movie being over-rated due to the use of a non-English language and a few "alternative" camera angles.

Mediocre at best.

Totally agree, what a let down and to a lesser extent Oldboy did not match the hype.

The best two foreign films I have seen recently were The Lives of Others set in East Berlin during the stasi days, really enjoyed it and The girl with the dragon tattoo.

Super 8 (sadly, for our cinematic aficionados on here, not in Sanskrit or by a Mongolian director), directed by J J Abrams, is getting *** reviews. A sci-fi homage to ET and Close Encounters, a pastiche but described as "clever, enjoyably reverential... a very entertaining update of an old-fashioned boy's own caper".

Sarah's Key. Slightly contrived but beautifully filmed and acted. Seamlessly moving from French to English. About a period of French wartime history that I knew nothing about. Not a perfect film by any means; bit like Stephen Poliakoff meets Who Do You Think You Are..but I cried unashamedly at the end and, judging by how slow people were to leave the cinema when it finished, I don't think I was the only one.

Saw Four Lions last night on CH4. Considering the hype and awards I was a tad underwhelmed.

Watching Black Swan tonight. Expecting much better.

Four Lions was unfunny, unsatirical, uncool and uninspiring. About as good as anything by/including Simon Pegg - 'humour' in the form of Laurel and Hardy for the 2000s.

Thanks for that ,betsmate....the S.O. is a bit squeamish, so I was going to take myself off to the cinema on me own tonight to see it [amazing reviews, although the trailer I've seen wasn't very inspiring]. Needed a bit of a nudge to make to effort to go.....

Yes, I agree, Euro. My remark implies that they were buffoonish, which they weren't (although they played buffoons, always poking fun at their own expense). Pegg just seems to go for pratfall 'humour' without the underlying sense of idiocy and fun.

The Skin I Live In was very good.Wasn't sure for the first hour, but it got better [also, a trip to the loo meant I missed a vital piece of info; thank goodness for Wikipedia when I got home]. Actually want to see it again [however, can't stop thinking of Shrek when I see Antonio Banderas]. Also want to re watch Never Let Me Go; saw the dvd when I was on holiday last week; wasn't sure how I felt about it, but it's been haunting me ever since..Carey Mulligan is so talented; probably my favourite actress along with Kristin Scott Thomas.

Totally agree about Carey Mulligan, been blown away by her ever since I saw her in, of all things, Doctor Who!

Agree re: Mulligan overall but didn't like Never Let Me Go. Knightley ruined it for me. Incredibly harrowing film too at the same time, found it an ordeal to watch but I suppose that's the point.

The Inbetweeners is obviously very entertaining!

It was pretty harrowing, but I thought it was one of the best films I saw last year (maybe because of that, I'm not sure!). Mulligan and Garfield outweighed any Knightley issues for me, thankfully. She's easier to take when she's playing a somewhat unlikable character.

I was seriously impressed with Mulligan in that period piece with Peter Saarsgard early last year. The name escapes me.

Glad you liked the Skin I live in Moehat. For me it was the natural conclusion of so many threads from Almodovar's earlier films. It will be interesting to see where he goes next.

Saw An Education on the telly a while ago and loved it. Going to see Drive; not my sort of film but prepared to watch it with Carey Mulligan in. I can't stop thinking about Never Let Me Go, and will have to rewatch it. Keira Knightley is in that film about Freud; her most challenging role to date..will see it because it has Viggo Mortensen in it..think she falls short acting wise yet again. Pity because I feel she has a need to prove herself as a good actress in the way that Leonardo di Caprio did after Titanic. Saw The Guard tonight. Was expecting something special but found it dire. Wanted to get up and move to the next room where they were showing the Skin I Live In. Jane Eyre and Project Nim next week..They're also showing The Prestige which I didn't see at the cinema and am tempted to see that, also.

I saw Attenberg this afternoon and really enjoyed it. A lot of similarities with Dogtooth, but slightly less incestuous. A bit sadder and a touch more beautiful too. I would say it was superior.

An Education was fantastic, she was brilliant in that. Be interesting to see what she's like in The Great Gatsby.

I refuse to see One Day but I think the part of Emma would have been perfect for her.

Going to see Drive; not my sort of film but prepared to watch it with Carey Mulligan in.

Have heard good things about Drive (besides Mulligan). Reviews keep referencing Michael Mann's 80s stuff, which is good enough to get me to stump up for a ticket.

She's also in Steve McQueen's (not that one!) 'Shame' with Michael Fassbender. Those two and Tinker, Tailor... would be my 3 most anticipated films right now.

Tinker, Tailor not my kind of film either, but the trailer looks brilliant. Was always amazed at Gary Oldman's ability to slip into any sort of character; surely one of the most chameleon like of actors. Can't believe how lucky I am these days..have one of the best cinemas ever 15 minutes drive from my house [John Hurt is one of our patrons] and spoilt for choice with so many good films to see. I thought dvd's would be the end for the film industry but they seem to have revitalised it.

Back