Films

Here's the problem with ageing: I'm sure I saw ANIMAL KINGDOM on FilmFlex, but I'm damned if I can remember what went on!

Oz can make some good stuff in these post-Neighbours days: the first episode of THE SLAP on tv holds some promise with interesting family dynamics. Greek/Oz/mixed race, parenting styles, needs and dependency, egotism, lustful desire, domineering mothers, siblings... and a threatened court case looming in the second episode due to 'the slap' - of a particularly brattish, breast-dependent youngster - being prosecuted.

The Secret In Their Eyes is the best film I've watched so far this year.

And easily surpassed by A Quiet Life. Immense. Toni Servillo is a god, but the supporting cast superb too. The natural successor to The Consequences Of Love with a dash of Gomorrah thrown in for good measure.

Recently I've watched Carlos the Jackal parts 1,2, and 3 (all quite good), and the excellent Rapt.

Carry On Camping earlier today. I laughed more than I did at The Anchorman. Classic.

Body of Lies. Big fan of DiCaprio, I think he's underrated.

Last edited:
Two relatively new british female directors have made the best two films of the year for me. Archipelago was a gem but We need to talk about kevin is the film of the year for me.One of those pieces that lives with you long after you leave the cinema and its superbly put together

Ides of March is a very decent political thriller but the lead wasnt right. Only complaint though...fine film

I liked Tinker tailor and agree it probably needs more space as/la the original, but the story has never really engaged greatly. Gary Oldman is excellent though. A fine actor

Hes one very talented director Grass. You should make sure you see the TV follow up. Equally good, if not better

Sad case that I am, I keep my cinemas tickets in a little box with the 'good films' at the front and the 'bad films' at the back. Sometimes I go through them and come upon a film that I completely forget that I'd seen. The Tree of Life is one of them. Although some are so bad I wish I could forget that I'd seen them [Uncle Boonmee, The Headless Woman etc].

Swedish Chef Dec 2010
Its A Wonderful Life - great Christmas film - also Miracle On 34th Street (not sure I got the number right) and a good film I remember from many years ago - A Tree Grows In Brooklyn - cant seem to be able to find a download for this one.

Woke up feeling shite this morning and decided to sit at home and watch some films. Watched It's a Wonderful Life - truly a film designed to draw out sentiments- still works superbly

Saw it at the cinema last year; everyone clapped at the end. S.O. wanted to see it again this year but, happy as I am to watch it on dvd don't want to see it at the cinema again [much as I enjoyed it last year]. Something nice about seeing old classics at the cinema, as they were meant to be seen. Will watch Miracle on 34th Street this week; the Alastar Sim Christmas Carol [still the best] and, hopefully go to see Arfur [sp?] Christmas at the cinema. Went to see The Deep Blue Sea last week. Dire.

On Xmas watch list are:
My night with Maud
Rendez vous in Paris
The last metro
The beat that my heart skipped (for the 100th time)

Can anyone recommend a good (ie one with decent recent HD movies) film site that works without intervention on a PS3 in Ireland. Don't mind paying, but better on a pay-per-view basis rather than subscription. Not averse to moving into the murky world of theft and pirating if that is the only decent option.

I'd been biding my time, waiting on exactly the right moment before I watched 'Senna'....and found it Saturday evening when recovering from a dull hangover.

The only real fault I could find was its focus on Senna's quasi-Messianic status. Whilst it's true that he was revered in Brazil (and in the F1 community generally), I think this movie could have been improved if the narrative had been hung around his feud with Alain Prost, as his on-and-off track battles with The Professor were his ultimate motivation as a driver.

Otherwise, it is a tremendous documentary - and I don't think you particularly need to enjoy F1 to enjoy the film.

I liked Senna well enough, but there seemed nothing more to him than being one of the greatest drivers of all time. That might be enough for a motorsport fan, but I can imagine those for whom such a title isn't that impressive in of itself wondering what the fuss was: rich kid with a God complex and a dangerous competitive streak utilises his gifts to become the best (whilst shagging lots of models). Then he joins the wrong team at the wrong time and ends up dying in a freak accident on a freakishly horrible weekend.

The Brazil angle didn't gel for me either. Is it really that impressive that the world's 5th most populous country with a huge history in international sport should produce someone like Senna?

But yeah, the Prost rivalry was wonderful stuff.

Also, a tip: don't watch the 'extended version' on the DVD/Blu-Ray first. The insertion of the extra interview pieces has been done really poorly - when the score suddenly halts only to resume after another talking head, you know its all been a bit slapdash.

Re the Senna posts, watch Fire in Babylon to see the best sporting documentary of 2011. Perfectly placed in context, with some great footage, interviews and a real eye opener to how sport can (occasionally) make a difference.

I watched Dans Paris last week and that interview is on the DVD Extras. Louis Garrel outshines Romain Duris, which for me means Romain threw in a bad one. Dunno.

Love the Metric titles track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opz1USz25Do

I can see where you're coming from but I guess in that role there is very little room but to shine, only to be plausible, which I think he does quite well. I haven't seen it in ages so am looking forward to watching it again, will let you know if I have mixed it up.

The man who wanted to live is out in the second week of January I think.

Re the Senna posts, watch Fire in Babylon to see the best sporting documentary of 2011. Perfectly placed in context, with some great footage, interviews and a real eye opener to how sport can (occasionally) make a difference.

Based on that description alone and knowing nothing more about it, I'm guessing it's a Crown-green Bowls epic?

Am I right?

:cool:

Last edited:
Back