Films

Even more so if yoiu're acrophobic like me. I always wonder where they unearth all of the archive footage stuff from for these sort of films.

Finally got round to watching The Iron Lady tonight.

I don't know if I'm going soft in my dotage, but La Streep's performance actually made me feel rather sad and sympathetic towards Mrs Thatch - which I believe makes it one of the greatest acting performances committed to film.

I'm being serious. It was a towering effort - surpassing even the best of her ouevre.

You would be sadder still if Kinnock and Foot had "led" the country into oblivion instead

Must see the film.

Saw The Hunger Games yesterday. It's had mixed reviews but I loved it and 2 1/2 hours went by very quickly. Kept wondering how much better it could have been if made for an older audience but, as the books are for teenagers, I guess that was never going to happen. Jennifer Lawrence is one of my favourite actresses and it was actually quite similar to her role in Winters Bone. Some good films coming up this month after a disappointing winter film wise. Looking forward to Prometheus and The Dark Knight Rises [filmed up the road from here].

Best I've seen in a while was the re-make of 'The 3.10 To Yuma'

Worst by a few furlongs was 'Warhorse'. What a crock of...!

Killing them Softly is very good

Been a while since a decent crime film. Was a George Higgins fan anyway (think Friends of eddie coyle) and the dialogue is superb. Its not full of surprises and not all action but thats fine with me. Too many gangster films have been too ridiculous to take seriously lately (think the awful Departed and some extent the Prophet), so some slow burning genuine menace and cynicism gets the genre back on track

As a kid I was addicted to the Marvel comics. I watched the 'Avengers Assemble' film during the week. Possibly the best action movie I've seen in twenty years! 11/10

Last edited:
Saw On the Road. Found it very boring. May have liked it more if I'd read the book perhaps? Annoyingly they had seats left for the premiere of the new film about the Rolling Stones that night, and we could have seen that instead. Can't wait to see Beasts of the Southern Wild and Holy Motors. And Looper.

Saw On the Road. Found it very boring. May have liked it more if I'd read the book perhaps? Annoyingly they had seats left for the premiere of the new film about the Rolling Stones that night, and we could have seen that instead. Can't wait to see Beasts of the Southern Wild and Holy Motors. And Looper.

On the road is very poor. Disappointing considering the Director.

And 5 years in the making. Didn't realise it was Coppola till I saw the credits [stayed watching the credits thinking something might just happen]. Another wasted few minutes, although did understand the relevance of the train track when I read up on the background to the film.

Timothy spall isnt quite in the film enough. It has its faults but worth seeing

Glad i missed on the road then. The book left me cold and went unfinished.

Saw Shutter Island for the first time at the weekend. Must be very thick because I didn't get the twist at all. Didn't enjoy it much but, annoyingly it's one of those 'need to watch again' films. Saw Holy Motors tonight. Weirdest film since Eraserhead. Seeing Looper on Wednesday. At least we're seeing Brave at the weekend so, with a bit of luck I might actually understand what I'm watching that day.

I enjoyed Shutter Island...bit strange but once you realise he's off his trolly it all makes sense. Loved the end when the guys shakes his head to indicate he's flipped again and vegetation is the only option.

Took me ages to get round to watching Snow White and the Huntsman as I thought this has got to be crap......... but anything but.

Ok so it's a fairy story but Ian McShane, Bob Hoskins,,Ray Winston and Co were outstanding as dwarfs. and make it well worth a watch

I enjoyed Shutter Island...bit strange but once you realise he's off his trolly it all makes sense. Loved the end when the guys shakes his head to indicate he's flipped again and vegetation is the only option.

Took me ages to get round to watching Snow White and the Huntsman as I thought this has got to be crap......... but anything but.

Ok so it's a fairy story but Ian McShane, Bob Hoskins,,Ray Winston and Co were outstanding as dwarfs. and make it well worth a watch

Couldnt do Shutter Island - gave up after the first 20mins. Then again that genre isnt my thing.

Seen Snow White as well - and its so ahead of the other version released (Mirror Mirror with Julia Roberts - even Sean BEan couldnt save it!). Its a good Sunday afternoon cuddle up on the sofa and just relax film. No pretension and half decent acting!

Having not understood Holy Motors at all, was just watching a programme on BBC4 about European horror films and there was an interview with one of the main actors, Edith Scob who starred in a French horror film many years ago called Eyes Without a Face. So, if anyone is daft enough to watch Holy Motors [described in the cinema programme as 'completeley bonkers'] check out the French film. It might then make a bit more sense [but only a bit].

Rust and Bone is excellent. You could quibble a few points maybe but overall it works with some very memorable scenes. a true love story without sentimentality. One that will stick in memory and the director's (who is a class act) best so far

It is excellent, glad you liked it.

It doesn't come close to The beat that my heart skipped though...

Rust and Bone is excellent. You could quibble a few points maybe but overall it works with some very memorable scenes. a true love story without sentimentality. One that will stick in memory and the director's (who is a class act) best so far

I am looking forward to seeing this having read a review at the weekend.

Back