Films

I saw The Kite Runner the other day. Its a beautiful book and the film (while obviously not up to the book) makes a good attempt at it. well worth watching.

The Oscars mightn't happen this year, what with the Writers' Strike! (Anyone offering ODDS?) :)

But you'd know it was Oscar Season, what with 4 of the most excellent movies I've seen in the past 3 months just being released - I Am Legend, Kite Runner, Into the Valley of Elah and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. Philip Seymour Hoffman triumphs in Devil (he is the one actor whom, through the power of his performances, you can smell the fear and the failure), and along with Ethan Hawke and Albert Finney - the movie makes you think of 'Jean de Florette meets Million Dollar Baby!" So glad to see Lumet back and at the top of his powers. I have yet to see the other Oscar contenders Charlie Wilson's War, No Country for Old Men, and Lust Caution... but I remain thrilled at the prospect. :D

There Will Be Blood is the one I'm most looking forward to. Paul Thomas Anderson, Daniel Day Lewis, and if that's not enough a score by Jonny Greenwood.

Recentlly viewed movies....out of ten.

Bee Movie 3/10. Preachy and few redeeming features.

American Gangster. 7/10. Slow start, but eventually engages.

I Am Legend. 3/10.Hated it. Hoped after 10 mins that the Zombies would eat Will Smith and I could go home.

Kite Runner. 7/10. (First half 10/10), beautifully shot and acted. Second half lost its way a bit. The return to Kabul sequence was laughable.

Enchanted 8/10. Good return to form for Disney.

Geez, where do you guys get the time and money to go to the pictures?

I watched two DVDs last night. 12 Angry Men (10/10) followed by Rebecca (10/10).

No Country for Old Men.- Superb acting, locations, atmosphere, dialogue but when it finished I felt there was something missing, such as an ending.

Just seen Hard Candy, very uncomfortable to watch.

Also the first trailer for the new Indiana Jones film is online now, exciting but not much detail.

Originally posted by ovverbruv@Feb 17 2008, 04:53 PM

Also the first trailer for the new Indiana Jones film is online now, exciting but not much detail.
I can only think of one thing less exciting, and that`s the new Rambo film. Stallone and Ford are as sad and washed up as the Rolling Stones - just fcuking retire. I`m thankful sometimes that some of my childhood heroes like Bon Scott and Ronnie Van Zant didn`t live long enough to make such fools of themselves.

There Will Be Blood is the one I'm most looking forward to. Paul Thomas Anderson, Daniel Day Lewis, and if that's not enough a score by Jonny Greenwood.

Daniel Day-Lewis = :nuts: + :clap: + :eek:

Have done for a couple of years. Excellent choice, decent service.

Couple of tips:

- Always use a disc cleaner before you play their DVDs
- After you have been with them a few months, quit and then take advantage of their 'we want you back offer'
- When that expires quit again, then google 'Lovefilm Promo Code' and join again.

One thing to watch for is their turn around times, at first they are excellent, after a while they seem to get a bit sloppy - a quick email usually puts a rocket up their arse.

I reckon I have rented 200+ DVDs from them in the past couple of years.

I have just watched Paris Je T'aime.

It won't be everyone's cup of tea but I absolutely loved it. Obviously the format helps, but never have I seen so many good actors and actresses give such good performances in one film.

One particular actress stood out - and it is the second time I have been very impressed: Leïla Bekhti (the first time was in the critically panned - but misunderstood :) - Sheitan). I will definitely be watching out for her in the future.

I went to see 'In Bruges.'

I enjoyed it immensely without really knowing if it was a thriller, comedy or tragedy. The ensemble cast is superb - Ralph Fiennes, Brendan Gleeson and the wonderful Colin Farrell who at last returns to form.

8/10. Recommended.

An Capall, your signature is a blatant piece of after-timing, please desist! :P

It must be a very strange experience watching yourself, or , at least, the image of yourself on a big screen.

Back