Films

....thought it would cheer me up after watching Dallas Buyers Club last night. Which was good but I'm glad I saw it on dvd and not at a cinema. Brilliant acting though. [actually, just watched some of it again and it is a very good film; problem is that my hearing obviously isn't as good as it was and when people talk in American accents I struggle to catch all of the dialogue..thought the actor who played Rayon was particularly good...hard to believe that they've been trying to make the film for over 20 years but it was made at the right time with the right people imo].

Last edited:
Returning to the subject of Home Alone I was looking after my two grandsons and had to take one of them to Beavers. I told the youngest one that I had to remember that he was at home as well, because if I took his older brother and forgot him it would be like 'Home Alone'. Yes granny, he said; and the police would arrest you! HE'S 4. Where did he get that from?

I saw the Hockney documentary on sun. Surprised it hasnt had a bigger release given how hes so hugely popular and britains number one artist over past 50 years. Maybe like the fantastic Mccullum it will be a sleeper that has a long run.

It has one lax spell but is otherwise a surperb doc. Saw it at new Curzon in Victoria. wonderful cinema and with perfect high def the replication of the great paintings was stunning.

Had a brilliant exhibition at a local arts centre that included a Hockney [along with Bridget Riley, Francis Bacon etc]. Included one of his pool paintings which had to be seen 'in the flesh' to appreciate it [I still can't stand Francis Bacon however]. Last night I found, on an old video, a film that I thought I'd recorded over and had been trying, without success, to buy on dvd. It was called The Last Winter. It used to be on the telly a lot 20 or so years ago. One of those rite of passage films that the Americans/Canadians are so good at. Starred an old actor who has only just died. It was lovely to watch it again, even more so that, when it finished the remainder of the video showed Julian Wilson presenting racing from Chepstow [interviewing Richard Dunwoody who had a knee injury but was still riding]. [actor was called Gerard Parkes]

Last edited:
Clive, just out of curiosity, how much does it cost to view a film in that cinema?

It was 1/3, that's one shilling and threepence, last time I went to the cinema!

Last edited:
Moehat. Art is a big passion of mine and I have always taken the view that with nearly all artists there is something to like. However totally agree about Bacon. leaves me cold. Doesnt connect and comes across as grotesque just for the sake of it. Gaughin is another i have no time for as is Modigliani who is a bit of a fraud i believe. Dali too. Pointless.

All major art has to be seen for real. Bridget Rileys stuff is quite startling but unlike Hockney, its more of less a Rothko one trick pony.

Great thing about Hockney is his constant change. Like Picasso or Richard Hamilton say, always trying something new. very likeable too. down to earth yorkshireman at the end of the day. The RA show a couple of years back was quite something.

colin.. I often go late afternoons where its £8 and plenty of space. Victoria was £11 but big reclining seats. I think its value

Last edited:
I love Rothcos stuff as I can't understand why I can sit in front of something so simple and yet not feel bored;he was a depressive and yet all I feel when looking at them is calm. Same with Pollock. I couldn't live with a Gaugin print in my house but do remember the first time I saw one of his paintings [in a book, that is] and was bowled over by it. We went to the Musee d'Orsay last year and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven; hoping to go back next year. Have you been watching the briliant BBC4 series about Art Nouveau?

I sounded harsh about Rothko. His stuff is mesmerising. The room at the Tate is quite something but im more temperamentally inclined towards Pollock. I remember first time i saw a large scale Pollock at the MOMA in new york. Couldnt take eyes off it. Cy Twombley is another american abstract artist i love

I am sitting about 30 feet from a bit Gaughin now. I work in a quiet space at the NPG sometimes and its right next door. I think with his paintings I can see why others like and that he was genuinely original but i cant connect with it at all. Kadinsky would be the same

d'orsay is superb. I havent been watching the series but will check it out. At the moment theres enough to catch up with in london.

I've got a Kandinsky over my fireplace [not a real one of course]. Must admit that I bought it to fit a frame that I had and it was the only print in the shop that fitted it, but I've grown to love it and even when I buy something else that could go there the Kandinsky stays. A lot of the Art Nouveau programme was about Mucha which made me think how popular he was back in the 1970's; I've got a chopping board in a drawer in the kitchen that I can't bring myself to throw away as I've had it for @ 40 years and that's got Mucha pictures on it. I can sit in front of Whistejacket forever.

I ddnt know who Mucha was and have to say that Art nouveau isnt my thing at all. We all have different tastes

Which gallery did you go to?

I found that tastes develop the more i see. In reality it is exhibitions that are the key.

Hockney can change all he likes, he is a sub-standard artist, regardless of popularity. Though there is at least more than a modicum of talent in his bones, which is more than can be said for the embarrassing Tracey Emin and the factory that is Damien Hirst.

Kandinsky is a wonderful artist - I went to an exhibition of his in Milan 6/7 years ago where they lit some of his canvases from behind and above - unique and mesmerising. He has written some very well-regarded books on art Theory http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wassily-Kandinsky/e/B001HN1EFE/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1417720279&sr=1-1

I don't particularly like Gaugain either, but it's hard to evaluate that period of art objectively as we have been so over saturated with it.

Rothko is very interesting, and that room in the Tate is indeed very nice (is it still there?). I see the Tate are extending? They would be better off improving their collection rather than enlarging their space - they have some fantastic individual works (de Chirico, Braque, Kandinsky, Picasso and even some Max Ernst if that is your thing) but as even the awful Nic Serota says himself, the collection is second rate - the space has become overrun with tourists and wannabes which could be frustrating, but it leaves the NG (what a collection) easier to manoeuvre, especially away from the impressionist works - incredible to think it's easy to 'have' the Caravaggios to yourself yet 50 monkeys crowd around a burnout car in the Tate Modern! The TM should look to do a deal with the Centre Pompidou - despite the fact there is a second Centre Pompidou in Metz, and they loan generously, the amount of first class works in storage facilities is shocking (I know someone who worked there). Finally, on the TM - their exhibition prices are a disgrace - 17£ for Matisse! I am a member but the average person who doesn't have a huge disposable income is priced out of this.

There are some great expos in Paris this Winter - Duchamp's paintings at the Centre Pompidou (have been twice but will go back) - from a theory of art perspective it invites you to read a lot about the early 20th century. Sade at Musee d'Orsay too. Saw a small exhibition at Musee Delacroix, and have Perugino, Gehry, Delaunay exhibitions to see, as well as one on the Collabos of WW2 which should be interesting.

Moehat - do you read much on Art?

Last edited:
Alas, I don't read much about anything these days [not sure why; there was always time for books and reading when I was young]. When I was with my ex husband we spent a lot of our youth travelling round Europe; we'd both wanted to see the Sistine Chapel and it just took off from there. I grew up in Birmingham and the Art Gallery in Brum was my second home; it was only when I went back there that I understood why I loved Pre Raphaelite stuff so much. My daughter studied William Morris for A Level and my son studied Mackintosh, so that took us on a few more journeys. An old racing chum [sadly deceased] used to make sure our trips to Sandown or Kempton took in a gallery in London en route. My partner took me to Paris for the Arc a couple of years ago and that's where the love affair with Paris began. These days it's a case of watching all of the amazing programmes about art on BBC4 which is why I'd be devastated if they pulled the plug on it. Like music, art is so subjective. I mean, how can anyone live with those 'singing waiter' paintings?

To describe hockney as sub standard is just Daft. lack of inovation? no way.. technical abilty? not a chance.

I have mixed feelings about hurst but without doubt he was seriously striking with most of his original work. I really like Emin. She's very personal and it works.

Kadinsky is boring cold little shapes. Nothing there for me.

the tate is not as strong as the moma with at least as good as anywhere ekse ive been and but two of the very greatest picassos on show, at the very least, it could never seriously be described as second rate

the national is far more crowded than the tate although its true some rooms are fairly xxlear but if the tate is overrun then it needs the extension. It has enough work to show.

Last edited:
Moehat. There is a ....wait for it... Warhol and Morris show at the modern art gallery oxford just opened. That really does stretch the imagination.

I can't say Morris is my thing at all I have to say but Warhol is a giant. Interesting to see how they make it work.

You should try the Tate Britain. It's the most comfortable of the major galleries and you really do get a fine overview of British art which has been very vibrant for quite some time now. London is the art capital of course.

Hockneys the splash is on show there as is clarke and Percy. There is nothing from the royal academy show though which is a bit surprising. I'm not sure I can recall any artists huge show of new work ever causing such an effect and such a response.

Last edited:
When my daughter studied Morris it was during some sort of centenary year so there was a huge exhibition at [I think] the V&A that we went to. I must admit that I was Morris'd out by the end of it; I much preferred going to Glasgow and seeing all of the Mackintosh stuff. Somewhere that I'm desperate to go to is Saltair. My helping out with the grandchildren time is nearing an end [it's what grandparents seem to do when they retire these days] so there should be more time for weekends away and gallery visits. I find London quite scary and seem to know Paris and Venice better.

I think you would like the Wallace collection. It's a gem.

London is more geared towards contemporary which suits me. Madrid and Berlin are superb for art. Berlin is much more geared towards modern art admittedly but Madrid has some great collections and guernica of course. fav cities of mine too.

Last edited:
Forgot to say that the gallery we go to sometimes is Lakeside at Nottingham University. Exhibitions are free. We saw the modern art exhibition there and also a Lowry one; I would imagine that the content of the Lowry one is pretty much the same as the one that's on in London now [or was on recently]. Not sure what I think of Lowry but I did live in Eccles for a while which sparked my interest.

Lowry is a strange one. I always think his paintings are initially striking but become less appealing the longer you look at them. I went to the tate show and it didnt hold my interest.

Finally got to watch American Hustle [was going to see the third Hobbit but it was too cold to go . Haven't got a clue what the film was about and am pleased I didn't see it at the cinema. Trouble is, whatever I watch is just stopping me from watching my box set of Game of Thrones....

When abouts were you in eccles moe?

Used to be a great place for boozing, especially if you liked Holts beer. Nowadays you walk in every pub and it looks like the Star Wars bar, full of wrong uns.

I love lowrys one about going to the match, but generally I'm with Clive - he doesn't float my boat.

Last edited:
Gosh; early 70's ; I worked at Eccles Labour Exchange. Our local was the Jules Verne. I think it burnt down years later. I can remember old men playing the spoons and people getting up and 'doing a turn [years before X Factor]. My ex was at Salford University. Have you seen the photos that Shirley Baker took of that area? She died recently and there were several articles about her in the papers. I'd taken photos of the old slums thinking that they were disappearing fast and I wanted to keep a record of them, but the film was duff.

Just seen Unbroken; it's had mixed reviews but I thought it was very good albeit being biased because of Jack starring in it. Maybe it would have seemed overlong had it not being for Jack and and fact that it's from a Laura Hillenbrand book [which I've got but haven't read yet]. Her own problems seems to balance out her subject matter when it comes to her writing, so there always seems to be a parallel story being acted out.

Back