Films

Interesting. You get films like that and usually you realise later that you didnt like it at all. American Hustle was like that. read up about birdman and not sure it's for me. Probably see the hawking movie instead.

Last edited:
My grandson watched it last week, under sufference [I was planning to watch it with him but ended up doing 'little woman in the kitchen' stuff instead]. After a while his little brother went up to the S.O. who was watching it with them and whispered to him 'Sam is singing along to all of the songs'. We'll never let him live it down. I was determined not to like it, especially after seeing a balloon of the snowman in town a few weks ago and being horrified at how creepy it was. I'm impressed that you can recite chunks of it, Luke!!!

I've not seen it, tho thanks to my friends little girl I know three of the songs.... She's utterly obsessed with it - God knows how ive managed to not have to watch it yet !!!

Frozen is the Grease of animated films.
an absolute classic. Hollywood Studios had a Frozen make over all Summer and in Magic Kingdom the queue to meet Anna and Elsa was 3 hours long.

Saw Paddington on Xmas Eve....was quite good.

Oh for the days when I watched Scarface

Saw Birdman. Trying to decide whether I loved or hated it. 24 hours in my reflections. No nearer.

I've resolved the conflict. Overblown pretentious twaddle, notable only for long takes and camera movement. Will go well with luvvies for anti-Marvell message, Keaton role, teather setting and thus win about 4 Oscars.

I'm looking forward to seeing Wild, although I'm not keen on Reese Witherspoon [she was good in the Cash film, though].

Off to see the new Hobbit. Watched Mirrormask late last night/early this morning. Not a film to put on when you're having trouble sleeping. More weird that Eraserhead and Tideland put together, but should have realised it when I saw at the beginning that Neil Garmaind was involved [I hated Coraline...]. Boy did I have nightmares when I eventually nodded off. I only bought the dvd because I thought that Trent Resnor had done the soundtrack but it seems that his song 'Mirrormask' was nothing to do with the film.

...been told that I MUST see The Theory of Everything. Hate films about illness but a friend who shares similar taste in movies feels the same and she says the film is incredible.

Am really going to try to see that next week - had hoped to do so this week but things didn't pan out.

Someone at work saw this this week and said it was fantastic. Or sorry Eddie was fantastic. This from a youngster who usually thinks art is a Chelsea footballer, but he was really blown away by the performance.

I want to see it too. Should we judge in trailers? I think so sometimes because I could sense a film of intelligence and charm.

god knows why that hotel film is nominated. I hated the trailer for that so much that I nearly walked out.

You didn't, by any chance go to the Anselm Kiefer exhibition at the Royal Academy recently did you? I've read a review and the paintings look amazing.

I'm so jealous. I also saw that there's a Sonia Delauney retrospective at Tate Modern in April, but when I looked her up the only painting I really liked was the one they showed in the article so I'm not bothered about that. The Anselm Kiefer painting [Ash Flower]looked almost organic and it was obvious that it had to be seen in the flesh.

Went to see Paddington today in the company of another 50-something child. Great fun and Paddington-the-CGI-Bear is a technical tour-de-force

Highly recommended escapism

I am now at home enjoying a marmalade sandwich:)

I'm so jealous. I also saw that there's a Sonia Delauney retrospective at Tate Modern in April, but when I looked her up the only painting I really liked was the one they showed in the article so I'm not bothered about that. The Anselm Kiefer painting [Ash Flower]looked almost organic and it was obvious that it had to be seen in the flesh.

Delauney should be good I think . But I'm not too aware of her stuff. There's a Barbara Hepworth at Tate Britain and that I will like

hate to go on about Keifer but it was outstanding throughout. Yes very organic and you do really have to see for real. They three dimensional with organic materials from trees to lead. I stayed for quite a while which is a good sign. He talks some bollocks though so don't read too much. Bit of a nut. Most retrospectives have some bits you don't relate to but little in this one. The lead books are quite memorable but the vast decaying building canvasses and the bleak huge landscapes were stunning.

Last edited:
Went to see Paddington today in the company of another 50-something child. Great fun and Paddington-the-CGI-Bear is a technical tour-de-force

Highly recommended escapism

I am now at home enjoying a marmalade sandwich:)

im not the only one then?

Back